General Upholstery cleaning and protecting

Currently reading:
General Upholstery cleaning and protecting

Virtually all of my write off cars have filthy seats. I have a Vax domestic machine and they come up a treat.

:yeahthat:

For fabric, basically you need a decent upholstery cleaner and something which can vacuum water out of the seats. Spray on, scrub and suck. Use lots of clean water for rinsing and leave to dry. Spot precleaning with a stain remover appropriate to the type of stain is the key to a professional result.

Exactly the same methods work well on carpets and upholstered furniture.

The chequered seats fitted to some lounge models are the most easily marked seats of any car I've owned.

Leather seats need a different approach; there are plenty of videos on the internet demonstrating a variety of techniques.

Last edited:
Leather seats need a different approach; there are plenty of videos on the internet demonstrating a variety of techniques.

As my 500 has the glass roof, I'm a bit paranoid about sun fading the seats. Once a month I give them a good going-over with a UV-protectant leather treatment.

Rub in with a microfibre cloth, let it sit for a minute and wipe away with a dry cloth. Seats still look as good as the day I picked up the car. Especially the white stripes down the bolsters... I was dreading keeping them looking top-shape.

I use a Bowden's brand product, but I'm not sure whether that's available in Europe.

Back