Technical Uno Fire 999cc MK1 Stalls with warm engine

Currently reading:
Technical Uno Fire 999cc MK1 Stalls with warm engine

UnoFire

Hi Guys,

Today I had a really bad morning. Came to work and stopped to let a women go over the street and the car just stalled and didn't start up. Took me 2 minutes to get it started again. It has happened before, when braking the cars engine seems just stalling but it works when i just press the gas pedal down. Today i did a full stop.

Any ideas? I have read the other threads but its just makes me more confused. :eek:

Why was she weeing in the street? :confused:
Could she not find a toilet in time? :eek:

Anyhoo - can you be sure the car isn't overheating? Also, how are the fuel pump/ filter doing? Have they been changed recently/ given you any problems before?

Why was she weeing in the street? :confused:
Could she not find a toilet in time? :eek:

Anyhoo - can you be sure the car isn't overheating? Also, how are the fuel pump/ filter doing? Have they been changed recently/ given you any problems before?

LoL, no a police car was coming and i didnt want to break the law :).

About the overheating, no i dont think it is cause i just installed a new temp sensor and now i can see the engine temp on my temp gauge and on that moment it was around 85 C. Fuel filter (was a pretty cheap one around 1 euro) and air filter are changed. But how can i check the operation of fuel pump?

What i did lately, i changed oil+filter, cam cover gasket, and thermostat (i had to remove the distributor first to get better access, maybe i didn't put it back the way i should).
I'm gonna check a lot of things today. Have done some reading in different threads around FF covering the problems my little FIRE has : high fuel consumption (getting 10+ L/100km, max was about 13L/100km), rough idling (sometimes stalls).
I checked the spark plugs today and they were very dirty (black) so i think engine is not burning fuel correctly. Cleaned them.

So any pointers, things i should check first?
Cant say its giving me gray hair (found a black today in my blond hair, go figure :) ).

sounds like your ignition timing is out did you mark the position of dizzy before you removed it ??:eek::eek:

sounds like your ignition timing is out did you mark the position of dizzy before you removed it ??:eek::eek:

:yeahthat:

For optimum ignition timing it should be set dynamically, with a strobe and with the vacuum advance pipe disconnected at the distributor end and plugged. The timing should be set to 2 degrees BTDC. At the moment it sounds as if the timing is out leading to some of the problems the OP is encountering.

Yes, i did. But it might have been not correct before. Previous owner claimed that he was doing 5-6L/100 km, i havent seen so low consumption, it has been using too much fuel since i got it, thats about 3 months ago a bit more maybe. Today i adjusted the distributors position a bit according to my dad's advice (counter clockwice means ealier and clockwise later ignition). I just hope its correct now, we'll see.

Now going to bed!

Last edited:
Yes, i did. But it might have been not correct before. Previous owner claimed that he was doing 5-6L/100 km, i havent seen so low consumption, it has been using too much fuel since i got it, thats about 3 months ago a bit more maybe. Today i adjusted the distributors position a bit according to my dad's advice (counter clockwice means ealier and clockwise later ignition). I just hope it correct now, we'll see.

Now going to bed!

See my post #6, and also check to see if your vacuum advance unit is functioning correctly ;)

Ok a little update. I let my uncle check the car and he did a bit of adjusting. Changed the angle of distributor, and my choke was also sticking it means when i pushed it in it dint open fully. Also my alternator belt seems to be a bit too loose so i need to tighten it, cause the revs drop when i switch on things that need electricity like lights or heating went. Going to garage now to do so.

I'd like to suggest using a long spanner to keep the tension in the alternator belt whilst you tighten the alternator bolt back up. :)

i had this prob on my mk1 its the unit next to the dizzy cap the little wires in side it gets hot, take it apart and put electic tape round the 2 wires

or coil pack

Ok back again,

Update: seems that my high fuel consumption is solved. Alternator belt tightened. Also installing an aftermarket rev counter tomorrow so i can check my revs.
I still have a little problem with idle (its an old car for gods sake ;)), but i just need to look into it first to be sure what's the problem there.

Thanks to everyone for replays and help!(y)

Back