Technical Unable to get gears?

Currently reading:
Technical Unable to get gears?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Very easy, and quick

If you are doing it yourself, the car has to be fairly high to remove the grommet in the middle

I drive the front up some

Screenshot_20240126_112257.jpg

And chock the rear wheels

The cables can only go on one way

It will take longer to remove and replace the interia trim than to actually change the cables

Depending on which brand/type of cables fitted they will either be a button press and pull off or more likely pop of with force off using a couple of tyre levers or similar

It takes me about 1/2H lying on the ground, but have taken everything apart before, first time will be considerably longer working out the clips

I garage should not be charging more than an hour ramp time in my opinion

The price of the cables varies considerably, I pay around £15 secondhand, but it is a gamble as they are a common failure point. Around £50 is the cheapest 3rd party online up to around £250, a garage will normally buy in at less on a trade discount

GSF which supple a lot of the garages around me are inc VAT £131.71 at the moment so I guess that's a good average

I have no idea on the cheaper knock off cables is suspect they will be fine, maybe someone who has fitted some could provide feedback

It's also not worth changing just the one faulty cable in my opinion. They are molded together at the centre

Last edited:
There seems to be some variation please check or ask the fiat dealer for the original part number to cross check, I "think" this is the correct version given the dates

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Correct

This is how a check for the faulty cable

I have had to replaced two,

And several others have diagnosed the same way in the Panda section

It's alway best to diagnose first

I did go through the whole oil it first, but it was only temporary
Koala, how did you set the new cables correctly, I've changed mine but getting them selecting correctly is a mare? Thanks in advance.

Back