General uk to france

Currently reading:
General uk to france

summers

I am going to live in France in about 3 months. I have a uk car (peugeot) but do not want to go throught the CT over there and the reregisration etc
A barchetta would be ideal of course BUT can any one tell me if the headlights on uk cars were directed for the uk. Thus if I was to buy here and take it to France would I then be back to the porblem of changing overs lights etc.
The French insist upon the lights being to their regs.
I will then have to think about getting rid of my car here.

Any comments much appricated.
Thanks
Bob Summers

It is my understanding that lights were recalibrated for the UK market but can be adjusted back. DTR offer this service but no idea of cost. You may be better to use the sticky adjusters and then try and pick up a second hand pair in France - I have seen them on ebay periodically.

I am going to live in France in about 3 months. I have a uk car (peugeot) but do not want to go throught the CT over there and the reregisration etc
A barchetta would be ideal of course BUT can any one tell me if the headlights on uk cars were directed for the uk. Thus if I was to buy here and take it to France would I then be back to the porblem of changing overs lights etc.
The French insist upon the lights being to their regs.
I will then have to think about getting rid of my car here.

Any comments much appricated.
Thanks
Bob Summers
HI.
Just joined the forum so it may be of some help to you.
I got a kit fitted by DTR Sportcars as the ones here in France are too expensive.You will also need to get a European certificate of Conformity for your Barchetta in order to register it here in France.You will need a current Control Technique (mot) which will set you back around 64 euros but lasts for 2 years.You will need your old Reg document filled in with your name and address and it must show it is registered in the UK to you.(i didnt as i bought the car over just after i purchased it and the local Official wouldnt recognise me as the owner until it was changed.Took ages to get the damn think back from Swansea).
Black sticky deflectors will NOT pass the Control Technique.
Good Luck
Jess Court

Hi Does anyone know who to speak to at Fiat to get a certificate of conformity, I've been told it's more difficult for pre 1998 cars?

It is my understanding that lights were recalibrated for the UK market but can be adjusted back. DTR offer this service but no idea of cost. You may be better to use the sticky adjusters and then try and pick up a second hand pair in France - I have seen them on ebay periodically.
Thats correct. IF and only if they were done properly, its not a big thing to reconvert it back to the correct hand traffic light pattern :)

On mine (UK reg, car in France where I bought it, lights still for UK) someone had destroyed everything inside the headlamp, so had to rebuild it basically all over again. Took 4-5 good hours to do.

For pre-98 car, you cannot get a full COC (Certificate Of Conformity), but contact TUV in Germany, fax them your registration documentation (V5) where the VIN and first date of registration is clearly visible, and they'll fax you back the TUV documentation required for registration in 3-4 working days. I think I paid 90EUR for mine.

Hi Does anyone know who to speak to at Fiat to get a certificate of conformity, I've been told it's more difficult for pre 1998 cars?

Its not difficult, its impossible, because CoC documents became a requirement at 1998 :)

Fiat is VERY reluctant on giving those documents over, I had mine from TUV. Quick and friendly service, cheap price. You get a documentation where they list the E norms car conforms to (emissions, noise, etc etc). That is enough everywhere within the EU to get the car registered.

Back