Technical ugly ducklings brake saga

Currently reading:
Technical ugly ducklings brake saga

Re: Handbrake not very good

Broken record alert for this subject, do you have the correct cable?

Go to Fiat ask to see all the cables they have for a Sei, pick the shortest one.

Liam

lol yes, I think it's the correct one. I've replaced a drum now and the handbrake seems to work a lot better, when I do the other (tomorrow) it will probably work correctly.

Replacing brake shoes

I did this last night, but I didn't do it how the workshop manuals told me to do it. What the workshop manual was says seemed to be a lot more difficult to me. You're supposed to take the bottom spring off first, but it's also the stiffest, so it is a lot easier to do the top one first. I also couldn't do the bottom one with pliers, they don't grip very well and it is too hard to pull. In the end I levered the shoe in/out with the spring already on.

Is there a special tool for these springs, how do you guys do it?

Drums rubbing

I've just changed my drums, and shoes and they are rubbing. I did over 400 miles yesterday so I would have thought they would have run-in by now. With 200 mile motorway trips I got 44mpg, and I usually get > 55mpg :eek:.

The handbrake cable, and the linkages are relative new, and they seem to move freely. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Re: Drums rubbing

Either the shoes are not centred properly or the linkeages are moving freely only over part of their travel and thus holding the brake on.

First, try driving in reverse at about 5mph and yanking the handbrake on. This will usually centre the shoes.

Thanks for the help, but it hasn't solved the problem :(. I've tried putting the handbrake on going forwards, and back, both fast and slow, but it doesn't seem to do much. The handbrake is pretty rubbish, so even when I do yank it on I doesn't do much and I certainly don't feel the jolt that I would expect when stopping.

I had a good look at a wheel, spinning it in the air, today. It seems to be rubbing in one or two places. It's spins freely mostly, but when it reaches a couple of points it rubs. If I hit the drum with a hammer in the correct places I can get it to spin freely, but then when I put the handbrake on and take it off it rubs somewhere again. The handbrake linkage does release fully (and definately isn't siezed).

Just a recap:
Brand new brake drums, and shoes
Last year I renewed the handbrake linkages and cable.
Handbrake is rubbish, and new shoes/drums rub slightly.

Back