General tyres

Currently reading:
General tyres

They may do that in America where a number of cars are bought solely to 'show'--never to drive on the road, but JUST to show, and they move them around in spacious air-conditioned 'trailers'.I have never comeacross this in the Uk and anyway, where the heck would you stow 4 spare wheels and tyres in a 500?

They may do that in America where a number of cars are bought solely to 'show'--never to drive on the road, but JUST to show, and they move them around in spacious air-conditioned 'trailers'.I have never comeacross this in the Uk and anyway, where the heck would you stow 4 spare wheels and tyres in a 500?

I know quite a few that do it in the Lotus world...
you can't get 5 wheels and tyres in any Lotus but they are shown with a new set....
Seen a fair few cars at the NEC type shows sporting new tyres with labels....

I know quite a few that do it in the Lotus world...
you can't get 5 wheels and tyres in any Lotus but they are shown with a new set....
Seen a fair few cars at the NEC type shows sporting new tyres with labels....

At certain levels it s simply about one-upmanship... people may not like people who show cars, but then not everyone can see the point in collecting stamps or any other hobby...
I know a lot of Japanese car fanatics they collect NOS parts and display them...

Last edited:
Obviously, no-one is going to drive a car to a show under its own steam on radials and then change wheels for cross-plies! Someone like that (even if they exist) would be trailering.

Few people would bother with cross-plies, especially as they would likely be at a premium price for scarcity, unlike the Pirellis.

I've driven thousands of miles in prewar cars on cross-plies and the lively handling can be a joy. I would probably give them a whirl for a one-off, if the price was right; but it isn't going to happen, is it?

I wouldn't say it is never going to happen, but it isn't in the current plan from Pirelli. We are working on tyres for 1930's Alfa and DeThomaso Pantera, for now. However also hopefully some 13" tyres for the Fiat 124 next year.

Insurance and Inner Tubes.

This was in dispute a while ago.

I have been in conversation with Hagerty. They say if you have a correct size inner tube inside the Pirelli 125SR12 Cinturato CN54 tyre then you are still covered by them.

So if you do have any concerns about weather you are insured or not, just go to Hagerty.

Insurance and Inner Tubes.

This was in dispute a while ago.

I have been in conversation with Hagerty. They say if you have a correct size inner tube inside the Pirelli 125SR12 Cinturato CN54 tyre then you are still covered by them.

So if you do have any concerns about weather you are insured or not, just go to Hagerty.

Or just buy the right tyre/inertube combination that is fit for purpose and is recognised by all insurance companies and their underwriters..........

Or just buy the right tyre/inertube combination that is fit for purpose and is recognised by all insurance companies and their underwriters..........

Sheesh!

Yes and that is of course the 125SR12 Pirelli CN54, that Fiat fitted originally, and the Pirelli have made again for the Fiat.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/125-12.html

You should fit inner tubes in original Fiat 500 wheels.

You are covered by your insurance when doing so.

Sheesh!

Yes and that is of course the 125SR12 Pirelli CN54, that Fiat fitted originally, and the Pirelli have made again for the Fiat.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/125-12.html

You should fit inner tubes in original Fiat 500 wheels.

You are covered by your insurance when doing so.

Sheesh all you want.......I'm not going over old ground with you again, my comments and observations are perfectly clear and voiced in this thread.........

Personally Whitakers i think you should apologise for what you have said.

You should go back to your insurance company and set them straight.

Then publisize which insurance company it is so that any poor unsuspecting classic car owner does not jeopardise their cover by going with them.

Then write a letter of apology to Pirelli for slurring their name.

Personally Whitakers i think you should apologise for what you have said.

You should go back to your insurance company and set them straight.

Then publisize which insurance company it is so that any poor unsuspecting classic car owner does not jeopardise their cover by going with them.

Then write a letter of apology to Pirelli for slurring their name.

Personally I’m sure you would! However I think you should apologise to everyone you potentially have mis sold tyres to!

But let’s analyse your last response, why should I personally go back to my insurance company and tell them they are wrong?! I presented them with all the factual information to which they presented to their underwriter and it was as per the response already posted! No body sets out what they want to the underwriter.......not even you or Pirelli....

Publicise the insurance company, keep up at the back it’s been posted and indeed discussed. If you weren’t to busy trying to be righteous and read what has been discussed then you’d know this and even more given the responses that they have indeed sponsored you in the past!

And why should I write to Pirelli?! Are you insane?! To apologise to them for stating that a tyre they or someone else under licence has made as a ‘direct’ replacement isn’t quite what it states!......maybe they should write a letter to everyone that’s purchased one and apologise for marketing inferior goods..........in fact I wonder what trading standards would say about this........

And do you know Dougal, to this day you personally as the so called expert have not brought to the table one legitimate document, evidence or fact other than your own representation which is purely down to financial gain......

And the names Rob........

Rob?

More like Knob.

True colours really, just shows the unprofessionalism of the company/individual and the fact that this is his response ‘to me’ just reinforces that he has nothing constructive to add and all this is merely a deception to sell goods wether they are right or wrong.....

Quite disappointed actually, I was hoping he would set all this right and prove me wrong and reinforce who he is who he claims to be.......

I couldn't help it.

It just slipped out.

i thought i had done well holding back for so long.

And what is there to hold back......be positive and show your true worth and bring to the table justification to prove to all your worthiness or just acting like a petulant spoilt brat with childish comments....

Both Michelin and Pirelli have made tubeless tyres for the Fiat 500. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/fiat/500.html

We now also have a white wall option.

Both of these tyre manufacturers know more about tyres than you or i, and are fully aware that fitting an inner tube into a full profile tyre is not a problem regardless of weather or not of weather that tyre could also be run without an inner tube, 'tubeless' the fact these tyres can also be fitted without an inner tube if t hey are fitted to an appropriate wheel.

Attachments

• Michelin 1972.jpg
    Michelin 1972.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Michelin 1972 text.jpg
    Michelin 1972 text.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Interesting thread. I've learnt quite a bit about tubed v tubeless rims and tyres (thanks Dougal) and I've also learnt that if an insurer wont underwrite a perfectly legitimate wheel / tyre combo then its probably time to change insurer.

As an aside my Doblo Cargo van I recently bought had 185/65 R14 86H tyres fitted as opposed to the recommended 175/70 R14 88T tyres. Three were perished and I initially considered replacing just those three like for like as they would be fine on a 5 1/2 J rim and the rolling diameter was acceptably close to the original equipment tyre. What made me change all four to 175/70 R14 88T was the load rating not being quite enough. I'm sure that for 99.9% of the time an 86 Load rating would be fine but I wanted to be 100% sure I fitted the correct tyre and also not fall foul of any over zealous insurer (I'm with Direct Line and stated no modifications).

As it happens I got a cracking deal with ATS Euromaster on four Avon tyres (£50 off promotion) which worked out £40.50 per tyre all in fitted, balanced and old tyre disposal.

Last edited:
Back