Technical Tyres : your experience with different brands please

Currently reading:
Technical Tyres : your experience with different brands please

Re: New Tyres

'Event'?? Who are they!!!

Exactly. Probably some Eastern European or South Asian manufacturer but the tread pattern and the ride is perfect for me. I've had similar none descript tyres in the past and can honestly say i have been more than happy with the wear rate and road holding capabilities.

What size wheels and tyres are on your stilo? That seems a very good price, although ive not heard of that make before!

It largely depends on the cars setup imo, some cars rely heavily on tryes, so you need a good tyre for the car to grip well, but some cars with a better setup dont rely on tyres as much for grip. If that makes sense?

The stilo seems to be a very grippy car anyway.

My Stilo has Kleber front tyres (i think they use old michelin moulds, they look almost identicle to some energy tyres i have on another car) and i can't fault them. They are looking a little worse for wear though.

Last edited:

There's only 4 points of contact between you and the road, hence I buy Mitchelin Pilot Sport @ £133 each. I'd rather be skint for a few weeks than have a dead daughter!!!!!

Again it depends on how much you want to spend, but since getting my claws ive now had a full set of Vredestein Ultrac's fitted, they look great, grip well and theres not to much road noise. Not cheap tho!

There's only 4 points of contact between you and the road, hence I buy Mitchelin Pilot Sport @ £133 each. I'd rather be skint for a few weeks than have a dead daughter!!!!!

i totally agree, but i was suprised to find that when i got the new wheels after accidentally, killing 2 of the old ones :(, that the diamondback tyres that came on the new wheels wiped the floor with the toyo proxes i had on before,

even in the wet, the lesser branded tyres out performed the supposably better toyos,

which i was happy about :)

Yup, you often find a more budget tyre can be a better tyre than a top brand.

I never get on with Pirellis or bridgestones, usually the latter is quite a noisey tyre imo. Although car and tyre model depening of course.

I always go for premium brand, can't put a price on saftey! Although the tyres on my stilo are what were on when i bought it, dont need replacing just yet.

Grip factor tends to be less of a problem with low profiles (225/35/19s). I have tried yokos, pilot sports cooper zeon and now kumho ecsta. Kumho is on a par with yokohamas for all weather, in the heat the yokos wins marginally. For wear the Kumho, Cooper and pilots eat the YOKOs (which at 160 each corner was not good). For steering the lower prices tyres require more steering input with the more neutral drive coming from the Yokos and the pilots coming a very close second. All tyres were capable of fast sharp bends and controlled easily when a slip started. Haven't tried fullruns but they're 70 per corner

I have the Bridgestone b390 originally fitted on my Multiwagon 1.9JTD.
I'm rather keen on mileage for new tyres.
These B390 will do less than 30.000 km. Used to do 60 - 100.000 with the front tyres before, so i am not at all impressed.
The wear is equal in the middle and on the sides so that seems to be ok.
Can any of you advice me how many kilometers they did with same / other tyre brands on this car ?
Has anyone got same result with Bridgestone B390 ? Less kilometers ? More ?
I'm a really calm driver , as you can probably guess, so i would like to compare with others. This way i can know if i need to find an other cause for the tyre wear or not. Would be nice to know what mileage the Michelin or Ecocontact Continentals would do on this car.
Looking forward to your answers.

Well i have just Put on a set of Hankook K105 195/60R15 tyres and so far they are pretty darn good, very grippy in the dry and good in the wet and plenty of feel as well. The last set were hankook K415s and they did about 20,ish 000 miles or just over 35,000 kms and i dont drive slow and i enjoy the corners too.

Oh and the wear across both front tyres was the most uniform i have ever had on a car, wore level right across the tyre both sides,

Be interesting to hear other peoples mileages too.

Dan, Greggers,

Would you happen to have any mileage figures available ?

Thx :p

i didnt have alloys on mine, had steelies, used the original dunlops, they were sh!te. used two sets of bridgestones which were a lot better, then finished on johnny no brands, which were loud, harsh but grip wise, better than the standard dunnies.

there cant be any stilos out there now with standard dunnies on still?

Pirelli P7000 on mine. Superb when hot and dry, but looses grip when much rain. OK in semi-wet conditions. They don't whine when spinning or doing hard corners, and I think that is positive - as I find it rather chavvy. :p

A good set of tyres should squeel before it lets go. Means you know when it's about to lose grip.

I worry about someone who gets 100,000Km out of a set of tyres. Suggests to me they've bought the hardest compound possible and quite plainly do not have as much grip as a softer compound.

I worry about someone who gets 100,000Km out of a set of tyres. Suggests to me they've bought the hardest compound possible and quite plainly do not have as much grip as a softer compound.
I'd have thought the real test is what the condition of the car is after those 100,000 Kms

If it's completely dent free then there's not too much you can say about it ;)

Back