General tyre downsizing

Currently reading:
General tyre downsizing

rikki16vt

Always feel that the 205 tyres are a bit too big for the Bravo Tjet 120, at 1330kg and 120hp, the middle section is holding up reasonably well but all of the outer edges are well worn out after 67km, the very tired Continental 205/55/16s have been replaced by Toyo 195/60/16s.

Initial feel is that the steering has gone a bit lighter, otherwise no unexpected behaviour. The car has been doing about 8.5l/100km, will report back on the fuel consumption later.

How do you drive the car? Fast round corners? Town/city driving? If YES to any of them your tyres will wear heavily, especially if you use the city park button or just turning the wheel whilst stationary will chew up tyres v quick.

You mention fuel consumption, I take it you are aware that over/under inflated tyres will drastically effect MPG?

How do you drive the car? Fast round corners? Town/city driving? If YES to any of them your tyres will wear heavily, especially if you use the city park button or just turning the wheel whilst stationary will chew up tyres v quick.

I think OP's issue is uneven wear, of which none of the above should cause.

As long as it is road legal, insurance over here is not too fussy about it (until something happened! :yuck:)
The standard size in the handbook is 205/55/16 or 195/65/15.
195/60/16 is approx 1.3% taller than the standard size.
I do check the type pressure in a regular basis.

Not much high speed road over here, Hong Kong is a small place.

Will check the speed rating and report back.

I am happy to say that fuel consumption has indeed improved consistently over the winter time, with Air conditioning switch off, the car used to consume about 8L/100km, after changing to 195 tyres, it has regularly improved to 7.6L/100km. That is a pretty significant 5% improvement!

i think it would have been much better if you sticked with the bigger tyres and inflated it to 38psi. The wider tyres go some way in saving you from sticky situations, even at medium speeds, especially since you probably don't have the ESP and traction control

I am happy to say that fuel consumption has indeed improved consistently over the winter time, with Air conditioning switch off, the car used to consume about 8L/100km, after changing to 195 tyres, it has regularly improved to 7.6L/100km. That is a pretty significant 5% improvement!

You don’t disclose the Conti or Toyo models you’ve fitted.
But in general you’d need to take a hard look at any claim that a Toyo was more fuel efficient than a Conti. In the EU (& US) tyres are tested for fuel efficiency by the ISO28580 standard.

I suspect the improved fuel efficiency you claim is not due to the Toyo (whatever model) – but due to other variation. (New 195/60R16 will cover more km than worn out 205/55R16 for the same revolutions). I’d argue there’s more 205/ 55R16 fuel efficient tyres available than 195/60R16.

Thinner tyres will always result in ligher steering and better fuel economy but the handling will not be as good.

I live in a country where roads are very bad and I still have a pair of the original continental that came with the car almost 5 years ago. (rear ones, very low tear)

"steering has gone a bit lighter"
Is that OK for you?

Got used to it within days, no big deal really.

Continental was Contact Sport 2
Toyo is MPF

http://www.toyo.co.nz/tyres.php?Category=Premium

Would be ideal if I can get the Continental with 195 sizing for direct comparison, however Continental is not popular over here and didn't have the exact size in local stock.

The fuel consumption was quoted out of the onboard computer.

Regarding the tyre pressure, I keep it at 37F-33R, slightly above the manufacturer recommendation. I was expecting may be 1-2% difference, but not 4-5% differences in fuel consumption. In todays fuel price, every bits help!

... in general you’d need to take a hard look at any claim that a Toyo was more fuel efficient than a Conti ...

Thanks for your up-date, rikki – I find that very interesting, as it somewhat over-turns the “general” rule.

I believe the Conti SC2 is classed as a Max Performance Summer tyre - & as such won’t be outstanding for fuel efficiency. In contrast, the Toyo Tranpath mpF (is unknown to me) – but maybe the All-Season Touring minivan tyre, from their latest fuel-efficient range.

the problem is that there's so many variables its simply impossible to do a direct comparison. Even if you put 195 continental tyres it'd still be hard to make a conclusion. Don't forget that the tyres themselves have different properties

Back