General Downsizing from 17" to 16" wheels

Currently reading:
General Downsizing from 17" to 16" wheels

bsks

Anyone moved to 16" wheels from 17" on a petrol bravo? Is there improvement in ride and noise transmitted into the cabin from tyres and potholes?

Anyone moved to 16" wheels from 17" on a petrol bravo? Is there improvement in ride and noise transmitted into the cabin from tyres and potholes?
No knowledge of that in a Bravo, but generally speaking providing they fit correctly, going to a higher profile tyre which you will need to do to keep the speedo correct and performance and economy as before allows the sidewalls of the tyre to absorb some of the shocks and bumps of the road better.
The advantage of low profile tyres is more responsive steering etc. so you have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages.
You may have found it already but there are several websites that tell you what tyre measurements will match your original when going from 17 to 16 inch.

The tyre size is 225/45/17 vs 205/55/16. I like to take a turn or two with higher speed from time to time, but generally prefer to cruise at the speed limit. Just wanted to check if someone's done it and is there a noticeable improvement in comfort.

The tyre size is 225/45/17 vs 205/55/16. I like to take a turn or two with higher speed from time to time, but generally prefer to cruise at the speed limit. Just wanted to check if someone's done it and is there a noticeable improvement in comfort.
See what these people advise.
/www.oponeo.co.uk/tools/tyre-size-calculator#replacementsCalculator
Tyre size comparison

Width (mm) Height (%) Diameter (") Diameter (") Speed difference (mph) Difference between diameters
Standart
size

Alternative size

631.949.8199.62149.43-0.38%-2.4 mm

I had a Bravo 1.6D wth 16 in wheels. I drove 100K miles and never mashed a wheel on a pothole. I tried a sport version on 17 inch low profiles and it did not ride as well so bought the easy with its own black diamond cut alloys. Tyre sizes will be detailed in the handbook. If the wheel and tyre combination you use is listed in the handbook it should not affect insurance, but do let them know.

The bravo comes from the factory with 15,16,or 17 inch wheels so tyre size wont be a problem. Just want to see if anyone has done it and does ride and comfort improve.

Should have said mine was on 16s and I am sure it was much better ride than the 17s I tried on the sport, as those are all low profile tyres and the 16s were not. In normal driving handling and braking was fine on bridgestones and better on Continental Premium6. May be if you drive very fast low profiles then 17s are worth having but I was unimpressed by them. Passengers always said my Bravo was very comfortable.

Back