Technical Twinair exhaust

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair exhaust

PT500

My 2011 twin air exhaust has started to growl. It looks like the flexible is breaking down and the whole system looks a bit rubbish. Any tips on where to get a replacement fitted please?

How much longer do you plan on keeping the car?

Cheap exhausts last 2-3 years; mid priced ones 4-5 years, OEM ones 8-12 years. And there's also the option of a stainless system. One pays ones money and makes ones choice.

Right now, the parts supply situation is such that it may be more about what you can get than what you want.

Whatever you fit, at this age it makes sense to replace any rubber hangers. Many a good exhaust has been ruined by failed hangers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply JRK. I'm thinking of keeping the car for 4-5 years. So a mid range exhaust makes sense. Any suggestions for supply/fit?

Thanks for the reply JRK. I'm thinking of keeping the car for 4-5 years. So a mid range exhaust makes sense. Any suggestions for supply/fit?
The supply & fit places (such as Kwik-Fit) generally use the cheapest parts they can source, to maximise their profit. The alternative is to buy one yourself and find an independent garage to fit it (unless you're going to do it yourself).

As to what to buy, I've found Bosal to be a reasonable midrange brand and have used them in the past on other vehicles; the problem is finding one in the UK for a TA 500.

I can tell you a brand NOT to buy - Klarius - sold by ECP. They're absolute rubbish.

Right now, I'm struggling to find anything else that would fit your car from any of the usual factors.

My 2011 twin air exhaust has started to growl. It looks like the flexible is breaking down and the whole system looks a bit rubbish. Any tips on where to get a replacement fitted please?

The rear boxes Traditionally go scabby.. They are multilayered and peel readily

Yours has lasted 12 years in service
Mine have covered10 now.. So still pretty good

I am thinking a replacement Flexi now could buy 6 months looking for a Proper replacement system.. 🤔

My punto is destined to be "a keeper"

But parts supply could alter that 😔

Thanks both for your advice. I will now spend some time on the phone and report back!

Exhausts are funny things..

They tend to be factory fitted in one long run

Tailpipes/rear boxes tend to rot out on runabout cars that never spend hours HOT,

But there is no break in the factory exhaust.. You have to make a cut

Flexi up front may be the same scenario

TBH. I did Lots of rear boxes on my old 169 panda

Only needed one Flexi..
20210929_174345.jpg
Many show a bit of Soot, but the JTD diesel was obviously blowing.. I shopped around and got a new pattern one for £10.. It was mounted with servicing in mind.. (3 bolt flange to the manifold/cat)

My recollection of my twinairs isn't so positive

Last edited:
Update: A couple of personal visits to local tyre/exhaust shops. One quoted £375 with 1 year warranty, not happening! Next one was £425 with 2 year warranty, also not happening! Mr.Tyre quoted £330 with 3 year warranty, he got the job and fitted a pair of front tyres and tracked it up for £466 all in. I drove away happy. I don't know what make the exhaust was, but next time it's on the ramps at home, I'll take a look.

I've just had a new flexi section fitted to our 2011 TA along with a new main engine mount and the lower one on the gearbox.

Both were well past their best at nearly 98000 miles...
20231209_135748.jpg

But there is no break in the factory exhaust.. You have to make a cut
I've had several new cars that were like this; commonplace on Fords in particular.

But my Panda and my 500 (both 1.2's) left the factory with two piece exhausts, split just before the backbox. Interestingly the clamps for both centre pipe and backbox were integral with those parts (though they rotted away before the exhaust failed and were replaced with u clamps after around 6 yrs).

I've just had a new flexi section fitted to our 2011 TA along with a new main engine mount and the lower one on the gearbox.

Both were well past their best at nearly 98000 miles...View attachment 434483
What issues did you experience with failed engine mounts? With the roughness I've encountered in first gear, I may need mine doing soon at close to 90k miles.

Now I've had the chance to drive it a few times, it does feel a lot nicer to drive. It wouldn't go into first straight away sometimes and I'm sure my wife had mentioned that to me too. Not had an issue with that since and when starting from cold it doesn't feel as shaky. Also the gearstick doesn't move about like it used to when accelerating in gear. I hadn't realised just how shot the mounts were.IMG-20231209-WA0001.jpeg
The only one not replaced was the one on top of the gearbox, but I now have one in stock ready...

Back