Tuning Turboing a 1.2 sporting

Currently reading:
Tuning Turboing a 1.2 sporting

stumpy102

Hi ladies and gents

I wanna fit a turbo to my 1.2 16v sporting, where is the best place to get one from and how much of an improvement will it give me.

I love the car just want it to be a bit quicker.

Also will it need a remap?

Cheers Scott

You don't just buy one off the shelf have a search about the forum for punto turbo and you'll see that its all custom work you'll need to do mostly your self or pay a mechanic a fortune to do it for you.

When finished if you are lucky you'll have 130bhp and have to pay a fortune in insurance, really and truthfully you're better off buying an hgt

Last edited:
Yes, Brin will be your best bet about turbo'n a Punto. But in all honesty I agree with everyone else on this subject it's not worth the hassle and money when you could put that hard earned cash on a quicker car that has all that power straight of the bat.

But if you are a really car enthusiast and like modding cars to the limits, then go for it but expect a lot of work involved and a massive hole in your bank balance oh and of course a lot of sweat also cursing. (y)

Correct, I believe the ECU went into limp mode? And something about his hg?
as soon as brins car got higher than 5k it would go into limp mode and cut off the fuel pump (hence why he fitted a FCD).
His decompression plate failed so he bought a genuine fiat headasket and fitted 16v pistons to lower compression.....
He only scrapped it because the car owed him money he wont get back in resale,
It was a lovely car to help him with but honestly if he bought a stand alone ecu he would have never have got his money back, even in parts.

me and brin are BFF's lol :LOL:
on another note...... dont bother turboing a 16v its cost me 2k 3-6 months work and alot of patience finding parts
It worked brilliantly for two weeks until the bearings in my turbo went and wasnt prepared to pay £400-700 just for a turbo again :eek:
on the other hand people were shocked how fast my little 1.2 was even when turbo'ed it killed a 1.3 glanza, honda civic 1.6 vtec and believe it or not a scooby off the lights! :O

5 doors = Fun for the Family!

reality then hit me and said 'hey ive already got another turbo'ed car'

Last edited:
as soon as brins car got higher than 5k it would go into limp mode and cut off the fuel pump (hence why he fitted a FCD).
His decompression plate failed so he bought a genuine fiat headasket and fitted 16v pistons to lower compression.....
He only scrapped it because the car owed him money he wont get back in resale,
It was a lovely car to help him with but honestly if he bought a stand alone ecu he would have never have got his money back, even in parts.

me and brin are BFF's lol :LOL:
on another note...... dont bother turboing a 16v its cost me 2k 3-6 months work and alot of patience finding parts
It worked brilliantly for two weeks until the bearings in my turbo went and wasnt prepared to pay £400-700 just for a turbo again :eek:
on the other hand people were shocked how fast my little 1.2 was even when turbo'ed it killed a 1.3 glanza, honda civic 1.6 vtec and believe it or not a scooby off the lights! :O

5 doors = Fun for the Family!

reality then hit me and said 'hey ive already got another turbo'ed car'

as my BFF has stated in detail that's exactly what happened (someone that actually reads my comments :) ) ;)

to add to the comment the vehicle ran perfect on low boost (8 PSI) running around 110-120bhp with no issues at all, but I found it pointless running such low boost felt fast but cars were still pulling away so wasn't very happy, I then ran it at high boost (20 PSI) pushing 156bhp form a 1.2 8v 60BHP engine.

needless to say it was stupidly fast, as Azzam stated we were both leaving cars standing, B18 civic's, imprezza turbo's, fiesta ST's, Audi TDI's, glanza turbo's etc... leave them with ease!

I drove mine on 20 PSI for around a month, in that time I blew a gearbox, blew the HG (due to crappy headbolts and de-comp plate BIG MISTAKE TO USE!!) And as Azzam stated the ECU would go into limp mode after 5k revs so true power could not be released from the engine hads to shift gears quite often to keep on power band, was going to cost me £1500 for a standalone ECU, which I wasn't prepared to pay for (even tho I loved the little punto and it turned heads everytime the dumpvalve released pressure) ... the money would never go into my pocket again and sometimes in life you know the best decision to make even though your heart doesn't want to make it.

money wise, I have to admit it is NOT! worth doing I made £5k in parts sold in end altogether, and that was with all bradn new parts sold near half the price I bought them for! bearing in mind I stripped the car bare so not all parts were from the conversion I can give u a total of the parts I sold which were for conversion if you wish

time wise also not worth it, unless you have a lot of spare time that is or the determination to want it done (I had the determination and a spare car to drive around LOL)

In end when your all done and finished with it, every penny and every hour you put into it feels 100% worth it even Stevie Wonder would see you smiling when you hit boost for the first time ;) my joke for the day :) im glad I did mine and don't regret it at all! sometimes regret getting rid, but 100% never regret doing it as it was an immensely fast punto the acceleration is unbelievable

hope this helps, look through my thread if you wish a LOT of work needing to be doine!

Having scanned brins thread I can in all honesty and with some conviction say if you want to turbo a punto then Munkul is the man (y)

If you have to choose a Puntista, I'd be inclined to agree. ;) But I think you should look outside the Punto section for most things involving

a. something resembling engineering
b. a lack of burning oil and excuses

While it's entirely true that some aftermarket ECUs are better than others, it's pretty daft to pick one of the most expensive and want to use it on a Punto with stock rods and pistons project!

Plenty of entirely respectable and responsible RRs will map Megasquirt (or Emerald, or Canems, or the one you nicked from that 8v Integrale someone was breaking.........). Perhaps their dynos don't claim to be accurate to 0.5bhp, though...........

That still doesn't make it a cheap, easy option.

This thread makes me laugh: Moral is don't try and turbo a car if you don't know what you are doing.

If you turbocharge a car, don't expect to run 20psi boost on cast pistons!! (what were the ring gaps? what were the bore clearances? what was the BE bearing pressures?? -all of these need considering) The 197bhp 1.2 8v engine I built is designed to run a maximum boost of 28psi

Read up thoroughly, do the maths, be patient, don't cut corners and you'll end up running reasonable gains on a standard bottom end.. with no reliability issues..

Damaging a spacer plate is caused by lack of clamping force, not the plate..

-Andy

Having scanned brins thread I can in all honesty and with some conviction say if you want to turbo a punto then @Munkul is the man (y)

yh because everyone would rather have there car burnt to a crisp over bodged up engine building than have a simple HG blow...genius you mate (y)
shakey_hand_man you helped me a lot during my conversion and I thank you for sharing with me your experience :)

Last edited:
Back