Tuning turbo time at last

Currently reading:
Tuning turbo time at last

spookycinq

Hi all,

Finally ive made time to start the turbo conversion, im going to take my time doing it as I want it right, ive got the main things required for the change, such as the turbo, engine management, decomp plate, intercooler (proberly going to get another) few hours & the engines out heads off engineering shops got it matching the exhaust ports for better flow to exit, leaving the inlet as it is, having a slight skim.

Few little bits I need but will get them when the engines in & ready,
Just after some guidance as for oil & water feed & return from & to.
Im guessing with the new management id still need a way to get the engine to crank? Would the immobilzer still need to recongise a coded key?

Will upload pictures from phone once on there

The shorter oil filter I was using was from Fram, part number PH 5796. This or an equivalent.

Immo is only required by the factory Fiat ECU. If you use stand-alone of some sort then there is no immo issue of any kind.

Oil feed: the best take off place is the upper (it is filtered) plug in the oil pump. The return obviously goes to the sump.

Water: several solutions exist, some for cooling mostly during engine running, some for cooling mostly after engine shut down, or somewhere in the middle. I had the first solution - the rule of the thumb is: take off as close as possible after the water pump (in the FIRE engine the closest possible spot is the thermostat housing), the return as close as possible before the water pump (I hooked up to the steel water pipe in front of the engine). Plus an appropriate diameter to balance the water flow between the engine and the turbo (my turbo water pipe was 8mm diameter IIRC).

Will be using omex 600 ecu, will my inside gauges etc still work with this?

Also looking for a way to keep the temp gauge working as for the time ive been 1.4 16v it hasnt worked due to being single pin on the block originally

Will be using omex 600 ecu, will my inside gauges etc still work with this?

Also looking for a way to keep the temp gauge working as for the time ive been 1.4 16v it hasnt worked due to being single pin on the block originally

As in the cinq is originally single pin?

First off, what engine are you using for turbo? if it's 8v then you'll have the sensor port on it, if it's a 16v, then the oem kinda solution is a mk1 punto sporting head it as it has the sensor port on it as well. (Brava may as well).

It doesn't go through the ecu, it's "hard wired" direct from sensor to d4, to interior loom, to gauge.

The aftermarket solution is to slice a rad hose, fit an adaptor and tap a sensor in there to read water temp.

On my 16v, i forgot to connect it at first and had to redo it to get the gauge back. I'd assume that either you could find an adaptor to fit the standard sensor, or either that, as long as the aftermarket one was also one wire (think most are), just hard wire it to the green/white pin on the d4 (possibly easier to do it on the interior loom side in the bay if you are using an aftermarket ecu) and it should fire up the standard dash gauge.

Im using the 1.4 16v, the mk1s are wrong exhaust stud patteren, there isn't anywhere to put the temp sensor so think will have to have an inline 1 in top hose

Thought id upload some pictures for a bit of colour

Attachments

• 20150709_185930.jpg
    20150709_185930.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 20141216_112716.jpg
    20141216_112716.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 20141220_203034.jpg
    20141220_203034.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20150608_115207.jpg
    20150608_115207.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 58
Hi mate, hope things are going well with this.

Quick question, what exhaust manifold/turbo are you using, what car are they off?

Also just to give you a few options for the oil supply if the oil filter area is a little crowded. On mine I used a T adaptor where the oil pressure sensor is located and ran the oil line through a pressure regulator then through the turbo and back to the sump.

Back