Technical Turbo Pinking

Currently reading:
Technical Turbo Pinking

What exactly causes pinking? My turbo cinq seems to do it quite badly when accelerating under load ... i.e. if u floor it in 5th at like 70, however if you feed the power in a bit more smoothly it won't do it.
Is the pinking just down to the fact that the thing is overfuelling? or would it be something to do with the standard fuelling setup?
The car runs at about 0.8 bar boost and the mf2 is set quite rich.

can anyone help? it embarrassing driving one of these cars without the technical knowledge to master it :eek:

If you mean detonation:

Ignition is to early.
Or to less of fuel.

Both will destroy your engine in a short time.

Not enough fuel it will burn your piston.

Last edited:
Yea sounds like a nut rattling round in a tin pot.

MF2 is set high and standard fuel pump has been replaced with a Ford RS200 pump, and i also have a fuel pressure regulator so fuel delivery should be fine.

Ignition timing can't be changed can it?

which way do you turn it to do what though? lol :eek: i really shouldn't own this car... it needs a proper owner.

aaron compression should be ok with the dished pistons should it not? maybe a thicker HG would have helped.

Oh and of course there is always too much boost.

The allen bolt on Spi throttle body needs turned clock wise to increase pressure, best done with a gauge, remember it has to be upstream of pressure regulator to get results so that's after your additional reg, but before throttle body!

Yeah compression should be good with dished pistons provided the head hasn't been skimmed loads of times cause every time its skimmed the compression goes up.

My cinq also pinks in a similar situation. Pinking is caused when the fuel ignites before the piston reaches the top of its cycle. in effect, the piston is momentarily being forced in the opposite direction, really bad for your pistons and your engine bearings. This can be caused by a number of things, three most common being - ignition is advancing too much, the fuel octane is too low, the combustion chamber is coked up. The first thing you should try is premium grade fuel (this fixed mine), the second is a fuel system cleanout with a good aftermarket product (STP do one for about 15quid in Halfords) and the third would be to get the ecu remapped on a rolling road to tune out the pre-ignition (pinking). Have you had the engine chipped, because this could also be part of the reason.

i will try those first two steps when the thing is up and running again.
unfortunately i never get round to having the thing mapped and RR'd coz it breaks before i get around to sorting it. like i said i shouldn't own this car if i can't treat it right :(

Engine isn't chipped at all, its all standard.
I'm working on a 1242 low comp engine which will be going in sometime soon hopfully as my bottom end at the mo is damaged and therefore won't last forever.
the first trip in the car will be to have the thing mapped.
where could i get the ecu setup?

To my knowlege a new chip isn't 100% necessary. I have seen the existing chip remapped on a cinq sporting at Red Dot in Watford.

Depends whether it's a one time programable E-Prom. The standard one is one time but the Superchip or equivalent might be erasable.

Back