General Turbo blown on me

Currently reading:
General Turbo blown on me

steakers

new to the site well my second time here ,my stilo 1.9 jtd sporting has blown on me the turbo stuck on and has totalled the engine , it was like someone had there foot full on the accellarator till i stalled it , has anyone on here had this happen to them and is it a common fault with stilos , ive had to buy stilo engine as its going to work out cheaper for me .

certainly not common. thats some proper bad luck dude...

WELCOME TO FF!

what was the service history like?
do you do a lot of 'on boost' driving then turn the engine of without allowing a minute or 2 off boost (ie tick over) for the turbo to cool down?

certainly not common. thats some proper bad luck dude...

WELCOME TO FF!

what was the service history like?
do you do a lot of 'on boost' driving then turn the engine of without allowing a minute or 2 off boost (ie tick over) for the turbo to cool down?
the day it happened wasnt driving much different to as i normally do , did do a run of two miles at about 75/80mph got off main rd to the island slowed down then on straight doing about 35 and boosh it booted in black smoke out and under hood ,
had car 12 months done 66000 full history no problems at all,
went for repair at local garage reported back cylinder issues low on compression? so ive bit the bullett and bought a engine 1.9 jtd sporting to go back in , costing me a fortune but love the car

new to the site well my second time here ,my stilo 1.9 jtd sporting has blown on me the turbo stuck on and has totalled the engine , it was like someone had there foot full on the accellarator till i stalled it , has anyone on here had this happen to them and is it a common fault with stilos , ive had to buy stilo engine as its going to work out cheaper for me .

If there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust then it could have blown a turbo seal. Engine oil would then be sucked into the engine causing it to overrun and BOOM!

There's a name for it, can't think what it is right now.

Last edited:
If there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust then it could have blown a turbo seal. Engine oil would then be sucked into the engine causing it to overrun and BOOM!

There's a name for it, can't think what it is right now.
i left it after didnt look at the engine just got it taken to local garage , bad oil burnt smell in the car after , im not a hands on car person so after ideas of how long the engine may take to fit ,

i left it after didnt look at the engine just got it taken to local garage , bad oil burnt smell in the car after , im not a hands on car person so after ideas of how long the engine may take to fit ,

Turbo and engine are shot by the sounds of it so you have 2 choices.

Rebuild or replace.

Replace would be quicker, take a week if a donor car can be found quickly.

Rebuild probabely take a month if its done properly.

one of the only downsides with using oil as a fuel :(

serves you oil burners right :eek: :p

on a serious note im surprised is happened with so little miles under it... unfortuneately when a turbo seal goes on a turbo its a viscous cycle.

oil enters the intake from the blown seal
engine runs on oil
engine speed picks up
oil pressure increases spewing more oil out of the blown seal

it only really comes to an end when something stops it... trying to stall often doesnt work, the best option is to block the intake with something, even stamping on the ducting would work! id sooner sacrifice a piece of ducting than an engine.

you say you managed to stall it though, so my question is how soon after it 'ran away' did you manage to stop the engine?

Turbo and engine are shot by the sounds of it so you have 2 choices.

Rebuild or replace.

Replace would be quicker, take a week if a donor car can be found quickly.

Rebuild probabely take a month if its done properly.
ive gone replace , got a local bloke mechanic to put the engine in for me not looking forward to the bill though.

one of the only downsides with using oil as a fuel :(

serves you oil burners right :eek: :p

on a serious note im surprised is happened with so little miles under it... unfortuneately when a turbo seal goes on a turbo its a viscous cycle.

oil enters the intake from the blown seal
engine runs on oil
engine speed picks up
oil pressure increases spewing more oil out of the blown seal

it only really comes to an end when something stops it... trying to stall often doesnt work, the best option is to block the intake with something, even stamping on the ducting would work! id sooner sacrifice a piece of ducting than an engine.

you say you managed to stall it though, so my question is how soon after it 'ran away' did you manage to stop the engine?
as soon as it started pulled out of gear and braked , took keys out but made no difference at all , at this point car was reving like hell till a guy said to me trbos gone stall it .which i did.

ive always called it a runaway and not known it by anything else... maybe were looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!?

or maybe Stu is trying to convince us all that there is another name for it!;) nice to see you back Shadey.

Been a little busy since xmas, the things I let myself in for. :bang:

Hope to be here a little more now I have a bit more spare time.

Not sure why I'm convinced there's a technical term for it. Remember "Hydrolock" for when water enters and engine and destroys it, and for some reason I'm conviced there's another name for when oil enters and destroys it .. :confused:

Run-away is the only name I known for it. Routemaster busses used to do it regularly until the flywheel flew out the side of the engine bay.

Like this guy's BMW. He didn't have a clue what to do about it until someone stopped and stalled it for him.

BMW Engine Crash - YouTube

That's hilarious! It does rather prove my thoughts on diesel exhaust cleanliness over the life of the vehicle :)

It's nice that a FIAT driver stopped to help. Wonder how difficult it was to stall like that... Perhaps some of the smoke was from the clutch!

-Alex

Last edited:
Run-away is the only name I known for it. Routemaster busses used to do it regularly until the flywheel flew out the side of the engine bay.

Like this guy's BMW. He didn't have a clue what to do about it until someone stopped and stalled it for him.

That's what happened Scary stuff I thought the engine was going to explode.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the best way to stall it if this happens? Sounds daft to ask but i'm thinking if you stick the handbrake on and stamp on the foot brake then stick it in gear you might screw the gearbox instead of/aswell as the other damage already happening?

Is there a certain gear that's best to use? I would ordinarily guess 5th/6th to stall an engine but because it'll be revving its nuts off won't it actually try to start moving forward in top gear?

i had this happen twice to me in only a few months some years ago.
the first was on a bus (dennis dart) - auto box nothing i could do, just walked away and called the company, cut of the fuel etc nowt the engine eventually died but it took around 10 mins before it did.
the second was on a volvo vanhool, luckly that was manual and i just stopped the bus and forced it into 8th gear to stall it.
i personally would just try to stall the car, forget about the clutch it can easily be changed. turning it off will do nothing as the engine has its own fuel supply now.
both times it happened to me was pretty scarey, not the event just the way the motors picked up speed, on the coach i was on the motorway when it happened and it clocked 80mph before i realised what the problem was and hit neutral.

Do all the jtd not have an antishudder flap in the inlet manifold by egr?mine does and where some have removed it looking for extra airflow im leavin mine in for some insurance against this, with ign off flap will shut and do a fair job of starving engine of air and its oil hopefully.

Back