Technical Turbo black smoke under load white on tick over with revs

Currently reading:
Technical Turbo black smoke under load white on tick over with revs

Rustymorris

Driving home with caravan heard a pop ?? Black smoke under load no power got home now white smoke when putting foot on gas ??
Turbo 2004 2.0jtd
Did have diesel on front of engine ??
Gone now ???

Driving home with caravan heard a pop ?? Black smoke under load no power got home now white smoke when putting foot on gas ??
Turbo 2004 2.0jtd
Did have diesel on front of engine ??
Gone now ???
I have had a turbo diesel running fine then a pop/bang followed by black smoke and no power, usual cause is a air leak on the pressure side of the turbo either hose split/ popped off or intercooler cracked etc. In my case it was a hose clip couldn't hold the pressure of increased boost and let go.
If someone revs engine whilst you look under bonnet you may see or hear the leak.
However if combined with oil leak could be the turbo it's self failed as can give similar results.

Think it is the turbo oil in the exhaust and white smoke now when revs up
Engine ticks over fine

Most likely, as Mike says, to be a split or dislodged pipe on the pressure side - ie turbo to inlet manifold. You're talking about oil in the inlet? if this is because you can see some oil in the turbo trunking then it's probably residue from the breather system. Not to be confused with the generally larger quantities you get when turbo seals blow. Checking carefully for splits and loose pipes would be where I'd start.

Back