Technical 05 2.0 WITH AIR LOCK

Currently reading:
Technical 05 2.0 WITH AIR LOCK

I wouldn't expect any sort of volume of fuel to come from Common Rail/injector pipes as it would be a specific metered amount to fire one injector, so not even a 1/4 of a tea spoon, but it would be under extreme pressure.
It doesn't go back to the filter from the common rail. The rail would be under high pressure and when the computer tells a certain injector to open electronically then the pressure will squirt through the injectors nozzle in to the combustion chamber of that cylinder of the engine, a small amount of that leaks around the injector moving parts and is sent via the small leak off pipes that join all the injectors and collected to return to the fuel tank.
P0380 is related to heater plug circuit and shouldn't stop the engine from starting especially if you have tried Easy Start spray.
The other code may have just appeared due to the flat battery issue as not unusual after that , so once van is working it should be able to delete that error code side.
Waste of time trying to "suck diesel " from common rail pipes as flow is controlled by sensors and metering at the high pressure pump.
All you can do on that side is ensure you have a good supply of clean diesel going to the high pressure pump.
When you got the P0380 Error code read did the code reader show fuel pressure etc. at the pump, usually when cranking engine it should be at least 230 Bar (over 3000psi or equivalent) if you have a much lower reading even though fuel up to injector pump fault is often dodgy injectors which can be tested using a leak off test to measure, a faulty high pressure injector pump or the control valves/sensors used by the pump. Assuming ECU isn't immobilised for any reason.
This is why a good diagnostic tool is very useful.
Injectors and pump unlikely if vehicle was running fine before with no history of poor starting.
I assume engine is sound mechanically, cam belt hasn't snapped or anything?;)
Was fantastic runner, never let me down, I ran a clear pipe from the filter to the pump and got bubbles? Pumped 6 litres through it by turning ignition on and still bubbles, so a leak somewhere else 😭😭😭. Would that stop the system from letting fuel through?

Was fantastic runner, never let me down, I ran a clear pipe from the filter to the pump and got bubbles? Pumped 6 litres through it by turning ignition on and still bubbles, so a leak somewhere else 😭😭😭. Would that stop the system from letting fuel through?
One bubble will stop a high pressure Common rail injector system as pump compresses the air bubble rather than injecting fuel.
If safe to do so run a pipe directly to the high pressure pump from a 5 litre can of clean diesel, it can usually suck it up a short distance, pipe will have to be deep in the fuel so no air.
Remember to pipe from the fuel filter is loose , you don't want it squirting diesel everywhere.
I did this test on a Fiat Doblo years ago that no one could start , it proved to be a plastic connector leaking at the fuel tank.

One bubble will stop a high pressure Common rail injector system as pump compresses the air bubble rather than injecting fuel.
If safe to do so run a pipe directly to the high pressure pump from a 5 litre can of clean diesel, it can usually suck it up a short distance, pipe will have to be deep in the fuel so no air.
Remember to pipe from the fuel filter is loose , you don't want it squirting diesel everywhere.
I did this test on a Fiat Doblo years ago that no one could start , it proved to be a plastic connector leaking at the fuel tank.
Thanks, I shall try that tomorrow👍 If that works then it's replace any connection then I presume, all the way to the fuel tank?

Thanks, I shall try that tomorrow👍 If that works then it's replace any connection then I presume, all the way to the fuel tank?
If a good clean supply to the high pressure pump works then check any thing that was disturbed from after last good running engine, so maybe just around fuel filter ?
Usually if you have a low pressure pump in tank then any leak should be more obvious

If a good clean supply to the high pressure pump works then check any thing that was disturbed from after last good running engine, so maybe just around fuel filter ?
Usually if you have a low pressure pump in tank then any leak should be more obvious
I did hear a slight whistling after changing the filter but it started and drove for 2 days, so I presumed all was good, over 3 days off work too much air has got in? Are the push fit connection prone to leaking? And are they replaceable with clear pipe to keep check? I can work my way backwards then. Very helpful info Bugsymike.

I did hear a slight whistling after changing the filter but it started and drove for 2 days, so I presumed all was good, over 3 days off work too much air has got in? Are the push fit connection prone to leaking? And are they replaceable with clear pipe to keep check? I can work my way backwards then. Very helpful info Bugsymike.
On the 03 Doblo Fiat wanted £200 several years ago for the twin pipe front to rear, I got some good quality fuel pipe and connectors from Motor Factors for less than a £10 and just repaired the short section.
It may not be your problem, what type of fuel filter is yours and what else did you disturb.
Re the connectors there is a small O ring inside them, which if dry and connection "rammed in" may damage.;)

Filter was a £14 motor factors TJ brand, new rubber seal and a tight fitting filter. I undid all 3 connections to fit. I'll see what happens on the outboard motor fuel tank conversion 😂😂. I have spilt so much fuel in that area now that it beds a good dry upto find any leaks now. 🤞

Filter was a £14 motor factors TJ brand, new rubber seal and a tight fitting filter. I undid all 3 connections to fit. I'll see what happens on the outboard motor fuel tank conversion 😂😂. I have spilt so much fuel in that area now that it beds a good dry upto find any leaks now. 🤞
Those outboard motor style primer bulbs have been known to fail and suck air.

No no, the jerrycan with a pipe (like on a outboard motor) is what I meant. Atleast I know so far that it starts with easy start and I have air, if it starts your way I know what to work on. 👍

No no, the jerrycan with a pipe (like on a outboard motor) is what I meant. Atleast I know so far that it starts with easy start and I have air, if it starts your way I know what to work on. 👍
That should work, but don't make it have to lift the fuel to far, I balanced the five litre can on the wing of the Doblo.
If you connect the pipes and prime it with the outboard tank primer bulb til it goes firm it should do the job, as long as there is no petrol in can.;)
Also don't forget the outlet from the fuel filter or you will have even more diesel spilled.;)

Back