Technical 05 2.0 WITH AIR LOCK

Currently reading:
Technical 05 2.0 WITH AIR LOCK

SALVONI

Hi all, hoping I can get some help here with my 05 2.0 Scudo, I replaced the fuel filter and all was well, except I could here a slight whistling (not the turbo) around the filter to pump area, van drove wonderful but 2 days later it wont start, killed the battery now, wouldn't go off a jump either, been pointed towards "air lock" which might explain the whistle, possibly I damaged a pipe being heavy handed? would easy start be safe to use to at least hopefully get it started to chase any air leak? Don't want to any more damage.
TIA

I used easy start to get my 1.9 multijet going after injector work and it didn’t harm it. Only use just a sniff though as too much always runs the risk of hydro locking the engine

I used easy start to get my 1.9 multijet going after injector work and it didn’t harm it. Only use just a sniff though as too much always runs the risk of hydro locking the engine
Cheers, what is hydro locking? incase I have already done that?

If it’s still turning over normally and not making any funny noises it’s not (shouldn’t be) hydro locked. Have you tried easy start already then? If it won’t run for a second or 2 on easy start then sounds like you have another issue

If it’s still turning over normally and not making any funny noises it’s not (shouldn’t be) hydro locked. Have you tried easy start already then? If it won’t run for a second or 2 on easy start then sounds like you have another issue
Haven't tried yet, getting some later, got some pipe to replace what I think might be split.

Hi all, hoping I can get some help here with my 05 2.0 Scudo, I replaced the fuel filter and all was well, except I could here a slight whistling (not the turbo) around the filter to pump area, van drove wonderful but 2 days later it wont start, killed the battery now, wouldn't go off a jump either, been pointed towards "air lock" which might explain the whistle, possibly I damaged a pipe being heavy handed? would easy start be safe to use to at least hopefully get it started to chase any air leak? Don't want to any more damage.
TIA
Is it possible you disturbed some dirt in the fuel filter and it has worked it's way to the injector pump?
I can't see it still having air in the system if you were able to start it and run for two days.
I have the later 2010 2litre 16valve Scudo which has a hand primer for the fuel filter as no pump in fuel tank.
If yours has a hand primer or you can get some one to activate the ignition to just turn to first position to activate the pump in tank if fitted, once battery is charged, what I would do is carefully remove pipe coming from filter to high pressure pump and sit it in a container then when fuel pumped you should see a good flow with no air bubbles, if so and refitted to high pressure pump assuming nothing else wrong it should start.
Do you have any warning lights on dashboard or any way to read the error codes with a diagnostic tool?

Is it possible you disturbed some dirt in the fuel filter and it has worked it's way to the injector pump?
I can't see it still having air in the system if you were able to start it and run for two days.
I have the later 2010 2litre 16valve Scudo which has a hand primer for the fuel filter as no pump in fuel tank.
If yours has a hand primer or you can get some one to activate the ignition to just turn to first position to activate the pump in tank if fitted, once battery is charged, what I would do is carefully remove pipe coming from filter to high pressure pump and sit it in a container then when fuel pumped you should see a good flow with no air bubbles, if so and refitted to high pressure pump assuming nothing else wrong it should start.
Do you have any warning lights on dashboard or any way to read the error codes with a diagnostic

Hi, fires up on Easy start but won't run on its own. I know fuel is going through the filter to the pump, would I expect lots of fuel to be spurting out if I undo the metal fuel pipe heading to the engine as the key is turned? Cus there is some but not what I was expecting🙄

Hi, fires up on Easy start but won't run on its own. I know fuel is going through the filter to the pump, would I expect lots of fuel to be spurting out if I undo the metal fuel pipe heading to the engine as the key is turned? Cus there is some but not what I was expecting🙄
So if it ran fine before you did the filter then obviously you’ve disturbed something and or somethings not back on right i’d have thought. Not sure how much would be coming out when key is turned

If you disconnected hoses at all when replacing the filter / repairing hoses is it possible hoses fitted on wrong hose fittings.

Is there sufficient fuel in the tank- not a silly question it has happend before on forum

If you disconnected hoses at all when replacing the filter / repairing hoses is it possible hoses fitted on wrong hose fittings.

Is there sufficient fuel in the tank- not a silly question it has happend before on forum
Lots of fuel, I marked the hoses, not sure I want to start going beyond the fuel pump. I know it gets that far. Might go put some clear tube on to see if fuel is moving.

Yes clear hoses a great idea.

Does the immobilser light on dash go out a few seconds after key turned on?

Yes clear hoses a great idea.

Does the immobilser light on dash go out a few seconds after key turned on?
Light? Hasn't got one, heatplug light goes out. Weird how it starts with the spray but nothing else. Fuel can't be getting there. Hmmm

The metal pipe from the high pressure pump to the common rail feeding the injectors is extremely dangerous to mess around with when engine running or cranking as you are dealing with pressure possibly in excess of many thousands of pounds, what may look like a fine spray can penetrate your hand or worse!!!!!
So treat it with extreme caution.
When I was at college in 1969 the lecturer showed the pressure from the injectors punching holes in an A4 sheet of paper, telling us it can easily go through your hand, this was when injectors ran at 175Bar, nowadays the cranking pressure is well over 230Bar and goes much higher when revved.
The plastic or rubber pipes from filter towards the high pressure pump are around 40psi approx at most, but you should see a good steady flow that would fill a bottle quite quickly.
The high pressure side of the injector pump is a very small metered amount, but under extreme pressure!!!.
Please ignore my thumbs up, I pressed the wrong imoji.

Have you had any error codes read since not starting?
If it has fuel up to high pressure pump, but only "runs" with easy start spray, then check the sensors on the high pressure pump have not been damaged or unplugged etc.
Code reading should show this.
You say vehicle hasn't got an immobiliser light???? Do you have a spare ignition key to try.

The metal pipe from the high pressure pump to the common rail feeding the injectors is extremely dangerous to mess around with when engine running or cranking as you are dealing with pressure possibly in excess of many thousands of pounds, what may look like a fine spray can penetrate your hand or worse!!!!!
So treat it with extreme caution.
When I was at college in 1969 the lecturer showed the pressure from the injectors punching holes in an A4 sheet of paper, telling us it can easily go through your hand, this was when injectors ran at 175Bar, nowadays the cranking pressure is well over 230Bar and goes much higher when revved.
The plastic or rubber pipes from filter towards the high pressure pump are around 40psi approx at most, but you should see a good steady flow that would fill a bottle quite quickly.
The high pressure side of the injector pump is a very small metered amount, but under extreme pressure!!!.
Please ignore my thumbs up, I pressed the wrong imoji.
No fuel coming out of the pump going to the rail on turn over. Just circulating round the tubes on top of the injectors back to the filter.

Have you had any error codes read since not starting?
If it has fuel up to high pressure pump, but only "runs" with easy start spray, then check the sensors on the high pressure pump have not been damaged or unplugged etc.
Code reading should show this.
You say vehicle hasn't got an immobiliser light???? Do you have a spare ignition key to try.
I have code P0380 and anti slip lit up. 1st time I seen that! Fuel not going to rail. Tried sucking fuel. Out with a brake bleed kit on the end. Local. Only 1 key. Garage wants £100 to come and look 😂

No fuel coming out of the pump going to the rail on turn over. Just circulating round the tubes on top of the injectors back to the filter.
I wouldn't expect any sort of volume of fuel to come from Common Rail/injector pipes as it would be a specific metered amount to fire one injector, so not even a 1/4 of a tea spoon, but it would be under extreme pressure.
It doesn't go back to the filter from the common rail. The rail would be under high pressure and when the computer tells a certain injector to open electronically then the pressure will squirt through the injectors nozzle in to the combustion chamber of that cylinder of the engine, a small amount of that leaks around the injector moving parts and is sent via the small leak off pipes that join all the injectors and collected to return to the fuel tank.
P0380 is related to heater plug circuit and shouldn't stop the engine from starting especially if you have tried Easy Start spray.
The other code may have just appeared due to the flat battery issue as not unusual after that , so once van is working it should be able to delete that error code side.
Waste of time trying to "suck diesel " from common rail pipes as flow is controlled by sensors and metering at the high pressure pump.
All you can do on that side is ensure you have a good supply of clean diesel going to the high pressure pump.
When you got the P0380 Error code read did the code reader show fuel pressure etc. at the pump, usually when cranking engine it should be at least 230 Bar (over 3000psi or equivalent) if you have a much lower reading even though fuel up to injector pump fault is often dodgy injectors which can be tested using a leak off test to measure, a faulty high pressure injector pump or the control valves/sensors used by the pump. Assuming ECU isn't immobilised for any reason.
This is why a good diagnostic tool is very useful.
Injectors and pump unlikely if vehicle was running fine before with no history of poor starting.
I assume engine is sound mechanically, cam belt hasn't snapped or anything?;)

Back