Tuning & Modifiying section - Poll.

Currently reading:
Tuning & Modifiying section - Poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are seperate sections on the site to talk about ICE, Bodywork, Satellite Navigation, Security etc. but there's no specific section for those that like to tune/modify their cars to swop idea's, info and show off their creations. I know many on here(myself included) consider Blue Neons and dustbin sized exhaust pipes a waste of time but many others like these things so how about we give them an area to play in, might visit it myself if some serious tuners use the area(remaps, turbo upgrades etc.). Many modifications are universal and not model specific so I think a Tuning & Modifying section would be benificial to like minded members.

Do you think the site should have a Tuning & Modifying section.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Don't Care.

Last edited:
Ok, well due to school - that took a heck of a lot longer than I thought :eek:

Anyway, you might have seen the other posts with what I've been up to, but if not, basically I've written it in so any forum can merge with another, either be it by forum itself, or just prefix.

Now from what I've been told about how this should work then, if we do this - it would be like this (feel free to correct)

1. Generic tuning stuff (which I'm told is a lot) gets posted in the new Tuning forum.
2. Model specific stuff (such as which is a good exhaust for my X) goes in the model forum WITH THE "Tuning" PREFIX - this means it will also show up in the "Tuning" forum, but still be kept in the relevant place (for people who would be searching).

I wasn't able to solve the "search" issue, so you would still not be able to search model specific stuff in the tuning forum - but I'm afraid there isn't a way around that (well there is, but it would really confuse things - it would involve removing the "Tuning" prefix and getting people to post in the Tuning forum with the model prefix.... confused?? lol)

So - is that the kinda thing you all wanted?

its not what i wanted :( if you was into sport you wouldnt buy a news paper where all the sports new was mixed up all over the place.
you would buy a paper with the sport all in one place so you could sit down and have a read. looks like i'll still be using other forums for my bored Friday/saturday nights reading

Last edited:
Then I have no idea what you want - this allows you to view all tuning threads in one single forum - but erm - you don't want that?

May be this will help. ;)

1. Generic tuning stuff (which I'm told is a lot) gets posted in the new Tuning forum.
2. Model specific stuff (such as which is a good exhaust for my X) goes in the model forum WITH THE "Tuning" PREFIX - this means it will also show up in the "Tuning" forum, but still be kept in the relevant place (for people who would be searching).

I wasn't able to solve the "search" issue, so you would still not be able to search model specific stuff in the tuning forum - but I'm afraid there isn't a way around that

NO! (but it would keep a certain group of adolecent fools happy)

(well there is, but it would really confuse things - it would involve removing the "Tuning" prefix and getting people to post in the Tuning forum with the model prefix....)

YES! (but may rock the boat)

Last edited:
so rather than have tuning posts from the whole forum,you want only those posted in one section
even those that may require input from those familiar with the models.

also keep your insults to yourself with regards to members who dont have the same opinion as yourself
I'm sure you can work out where insulting members will get you

Last edited:
YES! (but may rock the boat)

To be honest I can't see that ever working though. For people who really aren't into the hardcore tuning, they simply aren't going to think of posting in a different forum just to ask about getting a remap or adding a new exhaust (which falls under the current prefix).

If we remove that prefix, they would just use the "Technical" one.

The main issue comes down to searching though - if this wasn't a hurdle it wouldn't matter which way around we did it - but to be able to search a model forum is much more useful that the tuning forum.

Maybe it's more a case of see it in action, evaluate - rather than talk. I'll get it setup tomorrow and you can give it a go.

Remember, from a browsing point of view, it's exactly the same as a normal forum :)

a tuning section would be used by people into tuning not people who buy a remap or an exhaust.
i would be used by the built not bought people, who in turn would then help others.
people who really know that what model of car you have is really not relevant at all, its mealy the box for all the other bits.

the by model way is like having a computer forum separated by the case your hardware and software is built into

I've personally no interest in tuning, but.. From what people have said(including Dave as an example) could we do a similar thing to where we can pick out a specific prefix we want to read but with Model instead?

Dom

a tuning section would be used by people into tuning not people who buy a remap or an exhaust.
i would be used by the built not bought people, who in turn would then help others.
people who really know that what model of car you have is really not relevant at all, its mealy the box for all the other bits.

the by model way is like having a computer forum separated by the case your hardware and software is built into
In that case, it's probably best how it is - most people just won't understand that. For me, tuning means doing stuff to make your car faster / more powerful and a lot of times this will come from buying off the shelf stuff.

If this isn't really what tuning is - then I think it's best that those type of threads stay in the model forum (as now) - and then the Tuning forum is for (as you said) dedicated generic threads.

This makes it easier to moderate as well, as we can simply move model specific threads into the model forum?

Sod it, I had 20 minutes until McDonalds started serving breakfast ....

https://www.fiatforum.com/tuning/

You see what I mean now? :)

All it contains is the search results of the tuning prefix.

The tuning prefix doesn't work! :bang:

The only way is to scrap the tuning prefix and create a properly moderated Tuning forum, an unbiased mature MOD please. ;)

All it contains is the search results of the tuning prefix.

The tuning prefix doesn't work! :bang:

The only way is to scrap the tuning prefix and create a properly moderated Tuning forum, an unbiased mature MOD please. ;)
Of course - no one has posted any tuning threads yet ... it's an empty forum.

As I said, it's a real forum (Tuning) which you post directly into - plus it pulls in the "Tuning Prefixes".

That bit could be turned off, however as we currently have them spotted around, it makes sense to leave it for now.

The tuning prefix *does* have its place though for people who want to do stuff to their car but maybe not as hardcore as you guys (in which case it would stay in the model forum).

If there really are a lot of people who are into tuning, they can post directly to the new forum and ignore the prefixes ...

Of course - no one has posted any tuning threads yet ... it's an empty forum.

As I said, it's a real forum (Tuning) which you post directly into - plus it pulls in the "Tuning Prefixes".

That bit could be turned off, however as we currently have them spotted around, it makes sense to leave it for now.

The tuning prefix *does* have its place though for people who want to do stuff to their car but maybe not as hardcore as you guys (in which case it would stay in the model forum).

If there really are a lot of people who are into tuning, they can post directly to the new forum and ignore the prefixes ...

So once members post in the new Tuning forum they will be able to search the tuning forum for things, example N2O, Nitrous Oxide?

If thats the way it works, what are you waiting for guys, nows your chance, get posting. (y)

Might be a good idea to announce the new tuning section, let members know there is one and where to find it, perhaps a sticky in the other sections for a few weeks?

So once members post in the new Tuning forum they will be able to search the tuning forum for things, example N2O, Nitrous Oxide?

If thats the way it works, what are you waiting for guys, nows your chance, get posting. (y)

Might be a good idea to announce the new tuning section, let members know there is one and where to find it, perhaps a sticky in the other sections for a few weeks?
Exactly that sir (y)

You can see an example thread in there now which Dave posted (adding a turbo to an engine). The threads without the "green square" are the "real" threads in that forum and are fully searchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back