Technical TRW2SCAN

Currently reading:
Technical TRW2SCAN

I have put the pre tensioner error out but I have a ecu error

Attachments

• 20230423_101148.jpg
    20230423_101148.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Great news, concerning the pretensioner!
Hopefully, someone here is willing and able to offer answer(s).

If not:
It seems you need to run the "extended scan" to get the ecu to reveal more info. Assuming you are shaunx19 in the 201-post alfaowner thread, I'll try to avoid parroting what has already been said there, but kostelectronics describes where find to find the fault code and how to interpret it:
Beware of false faults "...caused by a faulty Motorola MCU. i cleared all errors by flashing a clear dump, then the airbag-modules began to work again, but as soon you heat the motorla MCU just a little bit, the internal error comes back. Mostly 0x08 at 0x03".

For readers with a lit airbag light, and the TRW2-protocol airbag ecu:
Multiecuscan (MES)
(the €50 registered version is necessary for this specific airbag ecu) is claimed to read and reset this airbag ecu. Software first developed in 2009 and supported as of today (https://www.multiecuscan.net/Default.aspx).
TRW2SCAN (used in this thread) a command line interface (you might need some computer knowledge to work with it), is claimed to read and reset the ecu. It was developed in 2012 by Alfisti Peter Feil. Support and software are both currently difficult to come by (https://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan).
If not for strong convictions, MES is probably the "easier" (not necessarily easy) way to go...

Great news, concerning the pretensioner!
Hopefully, someone here is willing and able to offer answer(s).

If not:
It seems you need to run the "extended scan" to get the ecu to reveal more info. Assuming you are shaunx19 in the 201-post alfaowner thread, I'll try to avoid parroting what has already been said there, but kostelectronics describes where find to find the fault code and how to interpret it:
Beware of false faults "...caused by a faulty Motorola MCU. i cleared all errors by flashing a clear dump, then the airbag-modules began to work again, but as soon you heat the motorla MCU just a little bit, the internal error comes back. Mostly 0x08 at 0x03".

For readers with a lit airbag light, and the TRW2-protocol airbag ecu:
Multiecuscan (MES)
(the €50 registered version is necessary for this specific airbag ecu) is claimed to read and reset this airbag ecu. Software first developed in 2009 and supported as of today (https://www.multiecuscan.net/Default.aspx).
TRW2SCAN (used in this thread) a command line interface (you might need some computer knowledge to work with it), is claimed to read and reset the ecu. It was developed in 2012 by Alfisti Peter Feil. Support and software are both currently difficult to come by (https://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan).
If not for strong convictions, MES is probably the "easier" (not necessarily easy) way to go...
Thanks tjr, that was me on the Alfa forum. This is all new to me but very interesting.If I was sure Multiecuscan would clear the fault I would buy the full version.

Thanks tjr, that was me on the Alfa forum. This is all new to me but very interesting.If I was sure Multiecuscan would clear the fault I would buy the full version.
Sorry to have gone off topic on you, but you are the OP. Seldom a fan of stated certainties myself, but I believe you can be dang near sure on this one.

The TRW2-protocol airbag ECU:s have been supported by the paid version of MES since ver 2.0 (now 5.1). In addition to the MES website listing TRW2 (in red for need of paid version), it is also mentioned in for eg:
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/m...-help-decisions-decisions.445537/post-4226070 published in 2016
https://forum.alfa145.com/index.php?showtopic=18638 published in 2015
https://nic-tec.com/multiecuscan-nu-klar-i-helt-ny-version-20/ published in 2014

You could probably find out on you own car before purchase; the MES-members-register https://www.fiatforum.com/forums/multiecuscan-members-register.336/ lists location, software version, cables, and members willing to give advice.

Hi @s130 (the MES moderator here) would you want to confirm any or all of the above?

Still off topic, but forgot to mention that @s130 gives some worthwhile advice on what interface is needed for MES here:

Still off topic, but forgot to mention that @s130 gives some worthwhile advice on what interface is needed for MES here:
Thanks again, I have been using multiecuscan scan free version for a while and your advice has been fantastic I will buy the full version

Thanks, happy to hear it. Then you are off to a good start (and 18+ years ahead of me on the forum (ie a lot is still news for me)) :)
Good luck @shaun and keep up the feedback, next time it's one of us reading the thread.

More on MES for TRW2:
not to rain on the parade, but please be aware that concerning the "TRW2 Airbag (with Pretensioners)" "MES 5.1 REGISTERED" €50 offers:
|INFO| - Identification data reading is supported on the module
|DTC| - Error codes reading and clearing is supported on the module
(but neither |DTC EX|) nor |PRM|, (the latter unlike TRW MY97)

Interface:
officially supported for the above (old hat for OP - @shaun):
"KL - KKL/VagCom/OBDKey" "UNMODIIFIED"
WITH
"3-pin interface - 3-PIN ADAPTER CABLE"

MES is no "better" than TRW2SCAN at actually erasing fault codes, both will get the job done (once connected to TRW2). Sometimes you need to redo the erasing procedure, sometimes you need to disconnect the battery and thoroughly empty the system of all current (eg headlights on). MES is just better supported, has a wider area of use, and thus more forum members can offer assistance.

Handling/erasing TRW2 system faults:
Keep the https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/phase-1-trw2-airbag-diagnostics-solved.336600/ thread close to heart. Read "all" 201 posts, click the red "see more" tab after each relevant post to get the full post. The thread is full of gems relevant to the TRW2. Often the good stuff gets repeated, but sometimes not. Combined with what is offered here for barchetta related hardware (mainly) issues related to the airbag systems, there is a good chance for getting it all sorted (with a tad patience and determination).

MCU/ECU issues:
The Motorola MCU/TRW2 ECU may stop working properly (can be software, hardware, or both) and throw faulty fault codes. The MCU/ECU can be cleared and reprogrammed in "external programmer (eg UPA USB original)", but possibly existing MCU/ECU hardware faults need to be identified and addressed first (or the faults will pop up again). One can dive off the deep end and buy a used ECU, but preferably get one with a warranty... Another method is getting into contact with the electronics world. There are individuals and firms who have the competence to get it all sorted, but ensure that they have access to the hardware and "a good Dump" (different worlds, eh?!). You will also find the Alfistis discussing the do's and don'ts when replacing the TRW2 system with a more recent airbag ECU system.

Raising my hat to all who have shared both here and over at www.alfaowner.com 🎩🙏

Thanks, happy to hear it. Then you are off to a good start (and 18+ years ahead of me on the forum (ie a lot is still news for me)) :)
Good luck @shaun and keep up the feedback, next time it's one of us reading the thread.

More on MES for TRW2:
not to rain on the parade, but please be aware that concerning the "TRW2 Airbag (with Pretensioners)" "MES 5.1 REGISTERED" €50 offers:
|INFO| - Identification data reading is supported on the module
|DTC| - Error codes reading and clearing is supported on the module
(but neither |DTC EX|) nor |PRM|, (the latter unlike TRW MY97)

Interface:
officially supported for the above (old hat for OP - @shaun):
"KL - KKL/VagCom/OBDKey" "UNMODIIFIED"
WITH
"3-pin interface - 3-PIN ADAPTER CABLE"

MES is no "better" than TRW2SCAN at actually erasing fault codes, both will get the job done (once connected to TRW2). Sometimes you need to redo the erasing procedure, sometimes you need to disconnect the battery and thoroughly empty the system of all current (eg headlights on). MES is just better supported, has a wider area of use, and thus more forum members can offer assistance.

Handling/erasing TRW2 system faults:
Keep the https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/phase-1-trw2-airbag-diagnostics-solved.336600/ thread close to heart. Read "all" 201 posts, click the red "see more" tab after each relevant post to get the full post. The thread is full of gems relevant to the TRW2. Often the good stuff gets repeated, but sometimes not. Combined with what is offered here for barchetta related hardware (mainly) issues related to the airbag systems, there is a good chance for getting it all sorted (with a tad patience and determination).

MCU/ECU issues:
The Motorola MCU/TRW2 ECU may stop working properly (can be software, hardware, or both) and throw faulty fault codes. The MCU/ECU can be cleared and reprogrammed in "external programmer (eg UPA USB original)", but possibly existing MCU/ECU hardware faults need to be identified and addressed first (or the faults will pop up again). One can dive off the deep end and buy a used ECU, but preferably get one with a warranty... Another method is getting into contact with the electronics world. There are individuals and firms who have the competence to get it all sorted, but ensure that they have access to the hardware and "a good Dump" (different worlds, eh?!). You will also find the Alfistis discussing the do's and don'ts when replacing the TRW2 system with a more recent airbag ECU system.

Raising my hat to all who have shared both here and over at www.alfaowner.com 🎩🙏
Thanks tjr, I have had many Fiats over the years including a X1/9. I have 3 at the moment the Barchetta, Bravo and a Panda. I will keep you updated

• Thanks
Reactions: tjr
Thanks tjr, I have had many Fiats over the years including a X1/9. I have 3 at the moment the Barchetta, Bravo and a Panda. I will keep you updated
I have just seen you are from Sweden, my eldest son lives in Helsingborg not far from you. We have just come back from visiting him

How about that! I hope you had a good visit, and that Helsingborg and Sweden is treating your son well. The people and city are at their best when the sun is out and the chilly winds have at least warmed up (seldom do they stop).

Back