Technical Track rod ends - ball splitter required ?

Currently reading:
Technical Track rod ends - ball splitter required ?

chr1s

Panda Lounge TA 2012
I have to replace the track rod ends on my Multipla. Will I need a ball-splitter to remove the old ones, or can it be done without buying any new tools ?

You should be fine with just a club hammer on the old ones...you don't need them anymore so it doesn't matter about them getting damaged!
Just unscrew the nut to near the end of the thread to give u a better wacking area!!

The wedge type of splitter is very inexpensive, and as alltorque says, it makes life a LOT easier.

Afterwards you can use it in the house to wedge doors open...

Thanks for the advice. I decided to try to get a cheap splitter - my local motor factors were out of stock, and suggested I could get a "cheap & cheerful" one at What!, but What! didn't have one either. So I decided to try without.

The first side was straightforward - a few whacks with a lump hammer and the old joint was separated.

The second side is giving me some problems. The nut holding the track rod end to the steering knuckle started to unscrew but now the stud from the ball joint is turning with the nut.
My options are to somehow grip the stud whilst unscrewing the nut with a ring spanner, or to cut off the nut (nut-splitter ? hacksaw ?). Any suggestions for the best method ?

The cheap wedge splitter usually avoids this problem by jamming the ball joint tightly, preventing the 'stud' turning. You'll get a splitter at almost any auto-shop.

Saves farting about.

Back