General Top speed+service

Currently reading:
General Top speed+service

jbuk2k3

Hi 2 all panda lovers

Just 2 quck questions Whats the top speed you have had your panda's ?

I have a 1.1 did 100 the other day but it was down hill

I took my panda for its first service the other day and on the report back it said 40 % of breaks left i have done 11k do any one know if the breaks are under warranty

thanks

by "breaks" i presume you mean the pads on the front discs? generally i don't think any warranty will cover what is classed as a consumable, ie something the car will be expected to wear out as part of it's normal usage. more important than the pads, which are relativly cheap to replace, wearing down, are the discs, if they have become grooved/lipped then they will need replacing for effcient braking. i've generally found, and i'm sure the other in the forum at general will give other views, that cars that do mainly uban stop/start wear out the pads at a faster rate than long distance m/way cruisers

top speed? mrs won't let me near it!!!! 70mph on the m/way, fast enough

I thought brake-wear was the other way around. If you do plenty of braking from (and at) high-speed the brakes wear-out faster (although you tend to brake less than when driving around town). Usage (and ubusage) is the salient point here. I do plenty of miles on country roads (always on the brakes) and had my pads replaced at 36K service and 60K service on my JTD, but my discs are still fine (where as my old 60S needed new pads at 27K and 54K miles, with new front discs at 54K miles).

I also left-foot brake which tends to wear the brake pads and discs more :eek:

40% left at 11,000 miles would suggest that you spend much time doing the ton, as you will need new pads at 19K :eek:

Regarding the break wear, I'm not sure what will wear them out faster, but it has to be down to driver style and usage. If you're always on them for long and hard then they'll wear out faster. Not to mention your worse fuel consumption. I've had front pads at 24 and 60k services, note that I got it at ~10k. No new discs, and they look fairly okay until ~100k... Up until recently it was mainly cross country driving where I didn't brake much. I used to catch up drivers breaking for every slight kink, where I only gave a dab for the worst bends.

On a similar note, the other weekend I noticed through my wife's rear alloys that the discs were showing signs of surface rust (13 month old 307). So I took it down a deserted national limit road and did a few emergency stops. No rust now. Interesting to have the warning lights come on automagically! How many cars do that these days without even mentioning it in the brochure?

Last edited:
I had a 2001 Punto purchased from new. After 3 years, it had only done 6,000 miles (mainly to and from the Station). I had it Fiat serviced every 12 months.

One day, while braking, I heard a scraping noise, so took it to Kwik Fit. Removal of the front wheels showed that the pads had worn down to the metal backing - which had then worn large rings in the disks. So, at 6,000 miles/3 years, it was new pads AND disks - ouch!

The guy at Kwik Fit said that it seemed to be a familiar problem with Fiats as he had had another Fiat in the week previous with similar excessive pad wear.

Best wishes,
Woody.

smurfhead said:
ah, explains a lot.
Apparently the drag coefficient is better on a Cento too.

Yeah, the Panda has quite a 'MPV' type profile. The 1.2 8v Panda has a lower top speed than the 1.2 8v Punto despite being lighter (same goes for the Multijet).

JTD Monkey said:
It does mention it in the brochure ;)

Ahh, I tend to skim over the features after a while that apply to all specifications! Do fiat's have this, eg the Panda's? And please tell me from knowledge rather than specifically looking in the brochure unless you're very very bored!

Gav said:
Ahh, I tend to skim over the features after a while that apply to all specifications! Do fiat's have this, eg the Panda's? And please tell me from knowledge rather than specifically looking in the brochure unless you're very very bored!

No Fiats have this at the moment. It is something the PSA group (Peugeot & Citroen) do on all their cars, and other manufacturers have also jumped on the bandwagon.

Nastly looking dent there Gav, hopefully this one is an insurance job?

mine has seen 180km/h a few times but thats luck.. normaly i get it to around 170km/h !

JTD Monkey said:
Nastly looking dent there Gav, hopefully this one is an insurance job?

I'm claiming since I realised I have protected NCB. Got and fitted a new wing mirror myself since it's crazy to drive without one. Broken one flapped a bit, so didn't want it to fall off causing an accident :eek:.

Back