Technical Tips on changing radiator 1.3 lounge

Currently reading:
Technical Tips on changing radiator 1.3 lounge

Jernas

Tips on changing radiator 1.2 lounge

1.2 lounge

Just had the MOT done and it passed with an advisory that the radiator is leaking badly. I did suspect a leak because I've had to top up the coolant.
The price of a replacement radiator does not seem too bad, has anybody changed one before?
Can it be done without removing the front body work, by withdrawing it between engine and front grill or does it have to removed taking it down towards the bottom of the car or front grill off?

Any help appreaciated

Last edited:
Re: Tips on changing radiator 1.2 lounge

hi,
I've not done a 500,
but conventionally FIAT mount the Rad. on a pressed steel beam = bolted to the chassis Left and Right,
have a look under the car if you san see this then that will be the way,
in a 500 there is limilted space on the upper bonnet side anyway because of the curving wings,

removing the RAD. hose joints CAN be a fiddle too,
either removing the factory fit steel clips + relace with Terry/ jubilee worm drive clips,
or twisting out the hose to Rad. unions, = beware not all unions are interchangeable - friend found this out the hard way,
Charlie

Thank you for the fast reply, I will look and "try" and see how it is mounted - like you say the space is restricted when the fan housing is on.

hi again,
the fan bracket is normall "strapped" to the dradiator with 4 self-tapper screws,
undo them and unplug the fan cable,
then it should come way,

the steel support is perforated ( drains ) = so looks like "dexion",
Charlie

Back