Technical Timing cam setting tools

Currently reading:
Technical Timing cam setting tools

Mattinker

I got 90 some hits with my previous message, change of title might get people to look! Does anybody have the timing belt tools? A photo with a few dimensions like thread sizes so that I can make my own. If I can get dimensions, I'll make drawings and post them for everybody!

Regards, Matthew

Thanks, there was another video where the guy talks about 8mmø by 30mm long for the cam shaft. I think I can see where the pin fo the fly wheel goes, so all I've got to find is the lock for the injector pump pinion.

Thanks again, Matthew.

You could just slice the old timing belt up the middle while rotating the crankshaft pulley with a ratchet, that way you keep everything timed up. Cut the outside half of the belt & remove it, then slacken off the tensioner just enough to get the new belt on. Cut off the remaining part of the old belt & slide the new belt on fully. As long as you keep the belt tight & in place on the pulley teeth, you can still replace the tensioner & waterpump. If you don't have the tools for locking pulleys, it's one way out of it.
Feel free for anybody out there to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't get offended.

You could just slice the old timing belt up the middle while rotating the crankshaft pulley with a ratchet, that way you keep everything timed up. Cut the outside half of the belt & remove it, then slacken off the tensioner just enough to get the new belt on. Cut off the remaining part of the old belt & slide the new belt on fully. As long as you keep the belt tight & in place on the pulley teeth, you can still replace the tensioner & waterpump. If you don't have the tools for locking pulleys, it's one way out of it.
Feel free for anybody out there to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't get offended.

I like that idea, Fuzz revived it last year didn't he. I'm not sure how you could replace the water pump and tensioner tho, with half the belt on without marking all the pulleys up. May as well take the belt off completely then anyway
confused.gif

Last edited:
I thought about doing it that way, Fuzz revived it as Michael says, (a method I realy like!) but again, as Michael says, changing the water pump and the tensioner rule that out! I've been doing more research and I now see where the pins go, the flywheel lock is apparently 6 mmø the cam wheel is 8mmø and I suspect that the injector pump is the same. I'm sort of planning ahead, I don't think I'll be getting my hands on it before next month but I'll make public the dimensions of the pins! I really don't see paying nearly €70 for three pins!

Regards, Matthew

I like that idea, Fuzz revived it last year didn't he. I'm not sure how you could replace the water pump and tensioner tho, with half the belt on without marking all the pulleys up. May as well take the belt off completely then anyway
confused.gif
Don't know who Fuzz is, I never read that way of doing a timing belt from here. It was a friend of mine who suggested it to me a few years ago & it worked on a 2.2 Camry I did a belt on. If the pulleys & fuel pump on a Scudo don't move outta their timing positions, then removing the old belt altogether is the way to go. I've haven't done a belt on a Scudo so maybe you could advise the best way of going about it?

I thought about doing it that way, Fuzz revived it as Michael says, (a method I realy like!) but again, as Michael says, changing the water pump and the tensioner rule that out! I've been doing more research and I now see where the pins go, the flywheel lock is apparently 6 mmø the cam wheel is 8mmø and I suspect that the injector pump is the same. I'm sort of planning ahead, I don't think I'll be getting my hands on it before next month but I'll make public the dimensions of the pins! I really don't see paying nearly €70 for three pins!

Regards, Matthew
They're not that dear, about £14 on Ebay, type Scudo timing tools into the search box, Laser tools do them cheap.

They're not that dear, about £14 on Ebay, type Scudo timing tools into the search box, Laser tools do them cheap.
Space is at a premium under the front wheel arch, if I can pop some pins in some holes, then it's a better bet. Well, the only ones I've found here in France were listed at €64 something! Anyway, anything I buy in the UK is going to cost me £10 more for postage! I've a whole shedload of steel stock, part of my job is steel construction and building special fittings and machines for theatre and television, so I never buy anything like this, chuck a lump of something appropriate in the lathe, turn it down and there it is!

Thanks for thinking of me! Regards, Matthew

J'ai fini par changer la curoir de distribution et la pompe a eau. Cette un opération qui est pour moi relativement difficile malgré l'effet que j'ai était mécanicien automobile et poid lourds pendant dix ans! La question d'outils spécial est facilement regeler, j'ai utiliser des forets de 5 et 8mm. Il y a pas beaucoup de place pour travailler et beaucoup des boulons sont très difficile d’aces . Cordialement, Matthew

Last edited:
Back