Tight wheel nuts and safe jacking practice

Currently reading:
Tight wheel nuts and safe jacking practice

In a recent thread about sump plug problems: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/oil-drain-plug-too-deep.500797/ I briefly mentioned tight wheel nuts. This led me on to thinking about an incident I had recently which could have been very nasty and this led me on to thinking about some of the roadside disasters I've attended with our breakdown truck where the customer caused the problem by the way they used the jack. - So, here's some "musings" on the subject. Probably of more interest to those who aren't in their driveways every weekend "fettling" their motors who I would hope will know a lot of this stuff and more for those who only occasionally get their hands dirty.

So, for whatever reason, you find you want to take a wheel off. The first thing is, DON'T attempt to jack a vehicle up, with the included jack, on anything other than a really sound and reasonably level surface, even if this means driving on a flat tyre for a wee way. Better to risk ruining the tyre. - I'll talk more on this later. Once it's on a hard and level surface slacken the nuts/bolts. If you are at the roadside with a puncture your options are going to be limited to what's in the boot. If you're lucky enough to find a spare wheel, jack and wheel brace of some sort then you can proceed. If all you've got is a can of "gunge" then follow the instructions and hope the hole isn't too big!

For those with a wheel, jack and wheel brace, and have decided to have a go themselves rather than calling their breakdown service, it's likely the wheel brace will be something like this:

P1100818.JPG

The one on the left is actually the one from our Panda and the one on the right is one that came with the space saver kit for the Mazda. You are likely to find the nuts/bolts are very tight. Even on quite a small car around 80 to 120 Newton metres is common (compare that to around 20 to 30 Nm for the likes of spark plugs and sump plugs, it's tight!) If your wheel nuts are very tight - not unusual - you're probably not going to shift them with one of these even if you jump up and down on the end of it! What may save the day is if you keep a length of pipe in the boot along with the wheel brace which you can slip over the end of the tool to increase it's leverage. This is well worth doing - so search out a suitable length of pipe right now! - if the nut/bolt is excessively tight these cheap wheel braces are not intended to be used with a length of pipe and will probably bend or fail in some other way and, frankly, you're going to need the breakdown man (or Dad if you're one of my kids or Mrs J, who famously said, when I suggested she learn how to change a wheel, "Why would I keep a dog and bark myself?" That really put me in my rightful place!))

If we escalate this to the next level you can buy a dedicated extending wheel brace, something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-tele...bArm0i-yZlkgVNLy7zcaAj9JEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds My boys both bought one and they work quite well. Use in extended configuration to loosen and close up to short length for tightening. If you are inexperienced and tighten with it extended you can exert so much twisting force, without realizing it, that you might either strip the threads or snap the fixing. I've used my boy's tools and they certainly do the job but, I find them annoying when you have a nut or bolt which is just slightly to tight on it's threads to spin off by hand using the socket alone. The L shaped of the wrench is quite clumsy when you have to use it to do half a turn at a time. For this reason I prefer a power bar (some call them breaker bars) Here's my trusty old Britool on one of the Ibiza's wheels being used in conjunction with a deep single hex socket:

P1100812.JPG

The great advantage of a breaker bar is that once you've loosened the nut/bolt you can then turn it straight out from the wheel and spin the nut/bolt out very quickly by rotating the shaft of the bar:

P1100816.JPG

However, at this initial stage you're only going to loosen it by about half a turn and you do it with the wheel on the ground to stop it turning. You'll find it much more difficult to break it away after jacking the wheel off the ground. Whatever you do don't actually undo them all the way before you've got a jack under the car or it all gets a bit too exciting! You do know where your locking nut adaptor and any other necessary tools are don't you? My Ibiza has little black plastic caps over the wheel nuts which are so deeply recessed that it's very difficult to get them off without the special little plastic tool supplied.

I think a breaker bar and socket is probably about the best option for roadside work and I keep a 14" one, with a suitable deep socket, in the Ibiza's boot all the time. It is a bit of a more expensive option, and you have to have, or buy, a suitable deep single hex socket to use with it (the extending bar usually comes as a kit complete with a selection of suitable sized sockets) However a breaker bar is not all that much more, and you can use it for other jobs too.

It's not often you won't win with a modest size of breaker bar, but you can always escalate the attack with a longer bar and length of pipe if necessary:

P1100815.JPG

However you're not going to be carrying that around with you under everyday conditions and you do need to wake up the "little gray cells" before use as you're definitely into breaking and wrecking territory now!

Assuming you've managed to loosen the nuts - just half a turn - it's time to think about jacking it up now. If you're at home a trolley jack is definitely the way to go. The width and length of a trolley jack, even a little one, gives much much greater stability:

I've had this one for over 40 years - I rebuilt it recently with a new pumping unit:

P1100834.JPG

But. if you can afford one, a small professional one is really the best:

P1100830.JPG

You can see how wide it is so even if you leave the handbrake off and out of gear, on a flat surface, the vehicle is going nowhere.

And on that subject, of course you need to firmly apply the handbrake and chock the wheel which is diagonally opposite the one you are jacking up. so here I'm working on the N/S/F (passenger front) so I will chock the O/S/R (driver side rear). That way, as the car is jacked up so the chocked wheel will be loaded more and this tends to lock the chocks under it's tyre. You can buy purpose made chocks quite cheaply. Here's some I use:

P1100828.JPG

The red ones were bought for peanuts and live in the Panda's boot. The yellow ones came with my old Datsun 120Y estate and the 2x4 wooden blocks are there just to show you don't need to buy dedicated items - although they don't provide quite such good resistance. I wouldn't jack up a vehicle using it's own cheap jack without chocking and you're about to find out why.

Now it's all getting serious because, if you're not at home, or don't have a trolley jack, we're going to use the jack supplied with the car to lift it. There are two typical types:

P1100820.JPG

The red one is a very common design and I'll talk some more about that in a minute. The black one is for the Ibiza and is of a type which VAG seems to favour as my old Cordoba had an almost identical unit. Neither jack is, in my opinion "safe" and it's only too easy to have an accident with either type. The problem is they exert a very localized footprint on the ground so they have no inherent stability. If the car moves the jack has no ability to resist and the car will fall off the jack. I earned extra money by doing 24 hour standby on the breakdown truck and I've been to a number of incidents like this. Luckily I've never seen anyone hurt but if it falls off the jack after the wheel has been removed then the bottom of the car will be on the ground and, apart from the possible damage to stuff like brake backplates and suspension, it's very difficult to now get anything under the car to get it lifted back up again. So be very careful what you're doing and don't let anyone near or in the car when it's on the jack.

I can't stress this enough so lets look at this a little closer. The foot on the black jack is articulated around one swivel pin:

P1100822.JPG
P1100821.JPG

which allows the foot to stay flat on the ground as the jack is extended and lifts the car:

P1100835.JPG

Look at how small the foot is though. It can't provide any fore and aft stability so if the car starts to move back or forwards it's just going to fall off. Hopefully though you've got the hand brake firmly applied and the chocks either side of the diagonally opposite wheel:

P1100829.JPG

What many people don't think about at all though is the wheel opposite the one being jacked up. Now in this instance I'm jacking up the N/S/F wheel so let's take a look at the O/S/F wheel. Before I started jacking up the N/S/F the O/S/F looked like this:

P1100826.JPG

But now with the N/S/F jacked up just enough for the tyre to clear the ground, a lot of the weight of the front of the car is taken on the jack and the O/S/F now looks like this:

P1100827.JPG

Still in contact with the ground, but not by much. So why is this a problem? because there's now very little weight pressing down on that tyre and, with the other one not in touch with the ground at all, it's going to be oh so easy to push the front of the car sideways and off the jack. If you're not on a sound and solid surface it's almost guaranteed to do this. By the way, with this type of jack you need to carefully place the foot directly, vertically, under where the contact pad on the lifting arm contacts the car. If it doesn't lift vertically it can push the car sideways. Also don't jack up the wheel you're working on more than necessary because the higher you jack it the more instability you introduce.

So now you can complete the removal of the nuts/bolts, remove the wheel and stick the new one on. Just be a bit careful putting the new wheel on the hub. If you get too violent with it and the surface the car is on has a bit of mud, gravel, etc on it, there's always the chance you could still push the car sideways off the jack! Scissor type jacks, like the red one, are very slightly more stable due to their bigger footprint:

P1100836.JPG

but are still not to be trusted. I also carry around a piece of 12 ply which I'd deploy if the surface was not very smooth.

P1100839.JPG

I hope, having read this, you'll appreciate that you should NEVER stick any part of yourself, not even a fingertip, under a car supported by only a jack. This applies to hydraulic trolley jacks or any jack in my opinion. Trolley jacks stay up because hydraulic oil has been used to pump up a ram and take the weight of the car. All that's holding in this pressure is a rubber seal, bit like a big diameter brake cylinder if you like. A catastrophic failure of the seal, thankfully rare, will result in an instantaneous collapse of the jack! Again, DON'T go under any vehicle supported on a jack alone!

People ask where to put their axle stands so they can safely work under the car. This will differ from vehicle to vehicle but in general the subframes are a pretty safe bet. h
Here's a couple of pictures of how I support the Ibiza on the front subframe if I'm doing an oil change or perhaps working on the brakes etc:

P1100832.JPG

P1100833.JPG

You'll notice the wee block of wood on the saddle? I always do that partly to protect the finish for rust purposes but mostly because the axle stand's saddle is much less likely to slip. By the way, I would never jack in the middle of a rear axle no matter how robust it looked. Torsion beams like those used in our Fiats are very likely to distort and if they do that means a new axle because the rear wheel geometry will be ruined by even quite a small bend in the beam. But even on the old type rear wheel drive cars I've seen an otherwise good axle, showing no signs of oil leaking, come back after being jacked on the axle, with an oil leak. I just won't take the risk. Goes without saying, I hope? that you never take the weight of the vehicle on the sump or gearbox casing. Different if you're just supporting the engine when disconnecting a mount, to do a timing belt for instance. But never to take the whole weight of the front of the car.

So take care folks, only do this on a smooth sound and level surface, certainly not a gravel driveway, but more than anything be very aware it could fall off the jack and keep your body parts well out of the way as well as keeping anyone else well away - and definitely not in the vehicle or even touching it - while you're doing it. Most manage it without even realizing the possible disaster that can ensue, but some, the ones we go out and rescue, do not!

Last edited:
Hi folks. How I love this forum. I've just been having a very interesting conversation with Jack @jackwhoo who mentioned that he noticed I'd put some rubber hose on the top of the VAG jack. I did this to try to save marking the finish on the sill and thus delaying possible rusting. However he's pointed out to me that the top of the jack is actually designed to bridge the sill seam for better lateral location - and he's absolutely right of course. So I'm removing the bit of rubber and from now on will use the jack correctly with the nylon top bridging the sill seam. (although mostly it'll be jacked using one of the trolleys)
Thanks Jack. I hope that you'll continue to keep an eye out for me and give opinions on possible future gaffs like this. I value anyone commenting on anything like this - don't be afraid of upsetting me.
All best wishes
Jock

who famously said, when I suggested she learn how to change a wheel, "Why would I keep a dog and bark myself?" That really put me in my rightful place!))
Oddly I had a similar conversation, and got told "that's a job for the rac man!"

On overly tight wheelbolts, since I sheared on the other night. Are impact drivers better or worse than extra leverage?
I have sheared big nuts and bolts with the impact driver too, but never quite sure if you are more or less likely to shear a wheelbolt with the impact driver.

On overly tight wheelbolts, since I sheared one the other night. Are impact drivers better or worse than extra leverage?
I have sheared big nuts and bolts with the impact driver too, but never quite sure if you are more or less likely to shear a wheelbolt with the impact driver.
Now that's an interesting question. My gut feeling is that if you were to use the impact gun it might be less likely to shear but then you have more feel with a breaker bar? In my post above I was mainly thinking of the roadside situation or an enthusiastic DIYer in his/her driveway. However if you have access to a decent impact wrench (I say that because I doubt if a "bargain basement" jobbie would be much help) then perhaps using it to do a quick burst on high power tightening followed by a slightly longer burst slackening, then another tightening and another slackening and so on until you get a result? If you can manage to introduce some "proper releasing fluid - Plus Gas/P B Blaster/Whatever - to the game that might help too as the vibration will help it to penetrate.

I've always been a fan of trying to shock frozen components apart and, since I bought my vibroshock tool, I've been experimenting much more with this technique. So I'd be quite inclined to slaister it with release fluid, put a flat headed punch in my air hammer and pound on the end of the bolt/nut, along it's axis. In this situation it should work quite well as the vibration is being transmitted directly into the threads. then trying it from time to time with either the impact wrench or breaker bar and if it's still "super tight" try pounding on it some more. Vibro shocking fixings like this is a technique which doesn't seem to be much used over here - more so over the Pond I think? and I'm having some degree of success with it. Just saying, could be worth a try?

I'm not so sure you do have more feel with a breaker bar, the bolt releasing and shearing felt very similar other than the initial force to get it moving. The moment I'd done it I did think I wish I had used the impact gun - it just feels really lazy for wheelbolts normally.

I'm not so sure you do have more feel with a breaker bar, the bolt releasing and shearing felt very similar other than the initial force to get it moving. The moment I'd done it I did think I wish I had used the impact gun - it just feels really lazy for wheelbolts normally.
That's always the problem isn't it? Is the bolt moving or is it shearing? by the time it suddenly lets go and you're thinking "Oh b****r" it's too late!

Im in no doubt that impact guns are better as thy use a shock action and this is good for shifting rusty wheel bolts. If necessary you can actually tighten the bolt a fraction and then back it off. If bolts are removed its a good idea to wire brush the threads if you have the time. I do this and wipe the threads with a rag laced with 3 in 1 light oil, then wipe them with a dry rag. Ive never had big issues since doing this.

My impact gun is quite light weight and does not always shift wheel bolts if they have been over tightened by a garage, but I always use the impact wrench until I am sure bolts are not going to come loose before moving to a bar on as the action seems to make it easier thereafter.

Panda wheel bolts are 72lb/ft which is really not a lot and the gun always shifts them. Doing up I have to take care not to over tighten with the impact gun, and just spin the bolts on until it clacks 3 or 4 times this is nearly always very close to done when a torque wrench is subseqently applied.

I had a Vectra some years back as a company car. The local garage tightened the wheels so much that I broke the wheel wench supplied with the car trying to remove one. The next time it was serviced I did all four up with a 6' bar until I thought they would shear. When the garage said the wheels were on tight, I just shrugged and said no one had touched it since they had it last. They did not over tighten them again to my knowledge.

Last week I worked on an x250 ducato 2016.
Wheel bolts ....... good Lord I had to stand on a 60cm breaker bar .... then bounce on the bar to get the bolts moving. No one would have got the bolts loosened using the factory wheel brace.
The owner then went for two part worn tyres(nearly fully worn tyres) after that I had to get the wheels off again yep you guessed it , had to jump on the breaker bar again, I was not impressed.
On to the the front hub / cv nuts- sheared the 1/2 inch square drive off two breaker bar heads. Someone had worked on the front previously and gone mad tightening those nuts.
Strangely one rear hub needed replacing due to failed wheel bearing.....nut was not much past hand tight , it's meant to be 400nm . Bearing possibly failed due to put of spec hub nut torque.

Thinking about whether you can tell if a really tight bolt/stud is going to shear puts me in mind of one of the old hands I worked with when I was young and ignorant. One day, when piddling about with a tight fixing, he said "come on lad, put a bit of weight behind it then" I replied something to the effect that I was worried it might shear. His reply was "Well son, it's got two chances, either it will or it won't!" Some times when in this sort of situation, I can see him standing beside me shaking his head slightly in disapproval - Long gone from this world now of course.

I bought a Danish built trailer tent years ago..

Had stood for years undercover.. initial weekend away to 'test it' blew a tyre

Armed with a wheel brace I worked on the securing nuts.. ooh thats tight

Try another.. did all 4..no movement

Well its got to come off!! Leaned on it and sheared it :-(

LH threads down the Left
RH down the Right

Glad I did that 30 mins from home,
rather than beyond Calais

There was that trend for a while with lefthand threads that were self-tightening depending on how they were spinning. And then they disconvered righthand threads dont slacken if tightened properly.

LH threads down the Left
RH down the Right
I ran into that one on the old Auto Delta Alfas back in the late 60's/early '70s when I worked for Firestone racing. Luckily we were fully briefed so it was never a problem, and mostly the teams did their own wheel changing anyway. Our other big name team was the Fillipinetti Fiats (128) but I seem to think they were conventional RH threads all round?

LH threads down the Left
RH down the Right
Often BUT NOT ALWAYS LH Threads are identified on bolts and nuts by notches cut in the apexes of the faces.

On the 130TC the crank shaft pulley bolt is LH Thread but NO notches. Whereas some Fiat driveshaft LH nuts have notches.

These discrepancies in identification / markings can cause real havoc with tight fixings as without other documentation you are pretty much left to guess.

On rotating items with a single central fixing bolt/nut then if the item rotates anti-clockwise then the bolt is 99% going to be RH Thread. If the item rotates clockwise then it *could* be a LH Thread so check for any other markings.

When I find an unmarked LH Thread item I mark it up with a hacksaw or chisel and sometimes some paint.

You could put this in the guides section.
24 hours have gone by since you suggested this and I'm tempted to fiddle about with this. Removing that image and replacing it with one showing the jack located on the reinforced seam but also perhaps including an image of Becky with her jack in use? - to make it more Fiat relative.

So, If I open a post in "guides" and copy the original post from here over to it - think I can do that - then highlight and delete the image I want and introduce an image of that jack correctly located, and, add some text and an image of Becky with jack in use, then click on "post", will that work?

I'm not very "computer literate" and struggle with things I've never tried before so any advice would be very welcome.

Also can I ask, do you all think posting this in guides is appropriate? - I'm just thinking it's not really very "technical" is it. Also, There are some very knowledgeable people on here with much more up to date experience than mine. Would anyone like to add anything to what I've detailed above. If I do decide to modify the above and then manage to shift it over to "Guides" do you think I've missed something important?

Hi Jock,

Having built a few GUIDES over the years

Yes its fine to carry that info over.. you can probably 'cut and paste' a lot of the text sentences :)

IF you were not going to make some changes..a MOD could probably just 'move' this over

Tip.

Have a read of a few GUIDES..Get a feel for how you wish to break this down into pages..and tasks

Its pretty satisfying when its actually 'Published' :)

As ever, a very comprehensive post.
I have one of those VAG jacks for the Fabia, and have had to use it roadside three times now. It seems to work well.
The VAG design places the rotating handle above the ground, allowing it to swing without having to avoid the ground. The one supplied with the Ford Fiesta was horrible in this respect. The handle was low, and remained so for most of the lift. Two problems. First, you can only turn it half a turn at a time, then swing it across to the other side for another half turn. It take forever to lift the car, tedious at best, dangerous in busy traffic areas, and really poor when raining. Second problem, was that it was quite long, and being low, needed the car to be at least 18" away from the kerb if changing a wheel on the nearside. So we have to park in the middle of the road to change a wheel. Pure genius. At least, once the replacement wheel is on, you can just drive away, allowing it to fall off the jack, then sling it in the boot and wind it down some other time. Can damage the car doing this, so a choice is made. Can be achieved without damage, using experience and skill. The sort of experience and skill, nobody should have gained. Oops!

Hi Jock,

Having built a few GUIDES over the years

Yes its fine to carry that info over.. you can probably 'cut and paste' a lot of the text sentences :)

IF you were not going to make some changes..a MOD could probably just 'move' this over

Tip.

Have a read of a few GUIDES..Get a feel for how you wish to break this down into pages..and tasks

Its pretty satisfying when its actually 'Published' :)
Thanks for the encouragement Charlie.

Excellent idea to have a browse through other people's efforts to get a feel for it.

We're having a big family Sunday meal today so Mrs J is already in the kitchen knocking up a roast chicken dinner complete with roast vegetables (peppers, sweet potato, onions, parsnips - I especially like the parsnips when they are just slightly burnt/caramelized round the edges) potatoes dauphinoise and Yorkshire puddings - the grandkids insist on them - all with lashings of gravy. Followed by her special rhubarb crumble with rhubarb from my garden. Can't wait. Anyway I mention this because I'm now being being reminded, yelled at, that I was going to hang a picture of the grandchildren on the stairs and then hoover through the house, so I'd better extricate the digit and get on with it before she comes after me with the rolling pin!

Back