Technical Ticking relay

Currently reading:
Technical Ticking relay

Soapy1960

I have a fiat ducato motorhome year 2000. There is a relay on the bulk head under the bonnet. I have noticed it ticks when I turn the engine off, but stops when I switch the ignition on. The relay is black, and has a plug that goes in underneath, and even ticks when I disconnect the wiring. Doesn't seem to drain the battery but is annoying. Has anyone any idea what thus relay is so I can replace it. Thanks Soapy1960

I have a fiat ducato motorhome year 2000. There is a relay on the bulk head under the bonnet. I have noticed it ticks when I turn the engine off, but stops when I switch the ignition on. The relay is black, and has a plug that goes in underneath, and even ticks when I disconnect the wiring. Doesn't seem to drain the battery but is annoying. Has anyone any idea what thus relay is so I can replace it. Thanks Soapy1960
I can fairly describe my experience of relays as considerable, but I have yet to meet a basic relay which does anything when no power is applied.

Are you sure that what you are describing is in fact a relay? Is there any possibility that it could be part of an alarm system, with internal backup battery?

Recognition would perhaps be assisted if engine details, and a photo of this magical relay were posted. Photos should include any markings on this mysterious object.

I can fairly describe my experience of relays as considerable, but I have yet to meet a basic relay which does anything when no power is applied.

Are you sure that what you are describing is in fact a relay? Is there any possibility that it could be part of an alarm system, with internal backup battery?

Recognition would perhaps be assisted if engine details, and a photo of this magical relay were posted. Photos should include any markings on this mysterious object.
Sorted thanks, immobiliser as suggsted

I did check it by disconnecting it , and the vehicle wouldn't start. So I'm assuming it's part of an immobilizer as I have knowledge of an alarm on the vehicle.
I was having a problem with the battery losing charge and when that was fixes the ticking stopped .

I did check it by disconnecting it , and the vehicle wouldn't start. So I'm assuming it's part of an immobilizer as I have knowledge of an alarm on the vehicle.
I was having a problem with the battery losing charge and when that was fixes the ticking stopped .
Sorry meant to say I had No knowledge of an alarm

Back