the most reliable bravo?

Currently reading:
the most reliable bravo?

C

chris hawker

whats the most mechanically reliable bravo out there. coz ive been looking into 2.0 20v bravo with average millage 70-80 k. would there be anything to look out for when looking at 20vs at that millage?

signiturecopy.jpg

I Heard that all of em has summin to worry about,

1.2- Gearbox
1.4- Gearbox and clutch
1.6- Injectors i think
1.8- Cant member
HGT- Cnt memba either

Bravos in general- Constant worry lol

In the 2½+ years I've had my 20v, the only things to play up on mine has been the MAF, and the lambda sensor.

The MAF is the most common fault on the HGT, but as with any car, anything can go wrong.

I have it on good authority (FIAT mechanic, Turin qualified, 30+ years experience) that the 1.8 is the least troublesome of the lot, followed by the 20v and oil burners, then the 1.2 & 1.6 and the 1.4 bringing up the rear.

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX - Bigger IS better ! ;)

songsoffaithanddevotion.gif

My JTD has been extremely reliable. Only thing that needed changing was the air flow meter, rest is sound.

BannerX.jpg

reg.gif

For Sale: Fiat Bravo JTD HLX LINK

I'm not sure what the most reliable is, but should anything go wrong you might prefer the maintenance/repair costs of a 1.8 or smaller over the HGT.

I've had the 1.8 and (currently) HGT and the 2ltr does increase costs by making it so hard to work in the engine bay.

Dan

hgt.jpg

I would def second roberto's point about the 1.8 being least troublesome! i had no majoor mecanical faults, only faults that i created... i.e. drilling through a wiring loom and short circuiting the whole car

My 1.8 engine ran sweet as a nut, but the car did need new wishbones every year, which may have been down to the eibach springs and 16" alloys...
When i got it at 55k, it required a new thermostat because it didn't heat up fully, and I also had a gearbox failure at 58k or thereabouts. It had a pinhole in the cv joint gaiter, which i repaired myself, and had a random tendency to blow the left number plate bulb! lol. Other than that... :(

My 1.4 on the other hand, required me to reconnect the rear washer pipe once and replace the clutch slave cylinder. Um, that was all really.

Given a choice, i'd get a 1.8 again though as the 1.4 would be too slow for me now. But on the plus side, it was a dream to work on because there was sooo much room under the bonnet, everything was easily accessible, and simple to replace.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

The 1.4 engine always daunted me, i do not know why, i wouldnt hesitate getting under teh 1.8 and playing with it but when it came to the 1.4 i wouldnt touch it, dunno why, it just seemed so fragile... lol did replace the oil sump, that was due to extremem rusting as i bought it from the salty seaside :), the gear box was sh*te!

lol, its so bloody basic! I'd never try and work on a hgt, just because its such a hassle...
Thinking about it, mine did sweat a little oil from the rocker gasket, but i gave it a good clean with a dishbrush and autoglym degreaser once or twice a year, and didn't worry about it. Its hardly a pretty engine bay anyway, lol. Actually, what i love about my skoda is that everything is covered in plastic shrouds. so it takes maybe an hour every 6 months to get the engine bay looking pristine! just take out the plastics, clean with wet wipes, then wipe over with silicon coated dash shine wipes and its gleaming for months! lol

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

I have to agree with 1.8 being reliable.

However, as Tom says the car will only be as good as the care and attention it receives.

Look after any car and it will look after you.

General concensus has usually been 1.8 and HGT are both reliable, but the HGT costs considerably more to run and makes the 1.8 more favourable for the penny watchers.

insybrava6.jpg

Brava: Mar 99 1.9TD / 48,500 miles
Coupe: Feb 97 20V N/A / 131,000 miles

driven a 1.2 for the past year and a half and have had no problem except for an air flow sensor!

For once I will agree whole heartedly with Joske.

The JTD engine is amazing!

Did about 50k in 2 years ownership with a 150bhp remap for about 25k then 138bhp re-map for the other 25k... and didn't have any problems.

I did change the oil & filter every 6k without fail & full service every 12k so again.. it was down to the owner.

The 1.8 fiat engine is a good engine tho if your after a reliable petrol :)

style5,TommyK.png

Tommy K - Have you got the Bottle!!

Yep i`ll agre with most the 1.8 is reliable imo, not as quick as the 2.0 but not bad and if you look after them well they tend to last a long time, i had mine for well over a year, i did have a 1.2 but i didn`t like the power it had or rather didn`t have, so the 1.8 would be my choice if i was to have another one

Just to add, I've had my Marea 1.8 now for almost 2 years and in that time clocked up approx. 35,000 miles (it will hit 90,000 tomorrow on my way to "sunny" Newcastle) and, touch wood, it hasn't had a single fault.

Completely solid and reliable service with good economy (for a petrol), comfort and nice turn of speed :)

Regular servicing and occasional extra regular oil changes are all I need to do, other than top up the washers, fill it with fuel and clean the bloody thing :)

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX - Bigger IS better ! ;)

songsoffaithanddevotion.gif

Back