General The MK1 Uno sleeper thread

Currently reading:
General The MK1 Uno sleeper thread

After messing for a little bit, I lost the fuel pump again :eek:

then I decided to try the spare loom for the spark ECU..

turned the key 1 click - no fuel pump

:idea: pressed the horn and got a fule pump buzz :eek:

turned the key another click and :eek: she started :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

WE HAVE A RUNNER :cool::cool:

sounded like a tractor.. who put that exhaust on :rolleyes:

plugged the hole in the down pipe to center section with exhaust goo

sounds nice!! runs clean (y):D:D:D:D:D:D just a small bit of smoke as some crap burns off the exhaust manifold but all seems good.

need to fix the backlight in the speedow :) can only see it when torch shon on it.

Plenty still to do but all good (y)

YouDaManJesus.jpg

I cannot find a picture that expresses my happiness for you to a level that I'd be happy with, so instead I'm leaving this picture of a dog on stilts:

collie1.jpg

:D

I think Jai's still driving around with a fuel pump that doesn't 'buzz' with the key on - or only buzzes when you operate an electric window...

My Uno has always made the buzz with the key on but then usually buzzes again if the brake lights go on, or again with the electric windows. And probably with the horn too. I have never figured out why. I remember I started a thread about what to do when there isn't the buzz with the key on.

Is the interior all back up together after the floor repairs? :)

-Alex

No tax, MOT, interiour.. who wants a lift to the pod :slayer:

Well maybe not.

Noticed the other day that the dash was very hard to read. Don’t think you should have to drive round with a torch on your hear to read the Speedo.

found all 5 backlight bulbs were blown.

you don't want to see inside the digi dash? I wouldn't bore you with that would I??

Digital_dash_internal.jpg

Digital_dash_internal 2.jpg

I wouldn't do that :devil:

Or post this

Last edited:
That digital dash looks awesome! :D

Haven't seen one on video before. It's only ever been pictures.

This it the other vid I shot earlier when checking that the boost gauge works

tis a bit loud as I was in the garage - windows down with no interior

:devil: can’t remember them electronic games having quite the same ring though.

Think I have a faulty temp sensor as the oil was hot ;)

Just finished making them rose joint gear linkages (y)

Car now moves under own steam - a whole 12 cm backwards and 3 forwards (y)

Didn’t want to push it before I finish them brake pipes and callipers :worship:

Last edited:
Interesting - yours boosts with the engine having no load on it? Didn't think that was possible.

Oil temp sensor connection is one of the most exposed in the whole engine bay. It's in the dirty, oily, overheated tangle of wires near the oil filter and pressure gauge switch.

Was this digital instrument cluster originally fitted to that particular car? Actually, scratch that, that's a reshell... I've still yet to see a Turbo that had the cluster fitted originally, but I guess they must have come from somewhere!

I think to complement it you need some yellow LEDs in the lights/wipers switches - but I guess you probably have more pressing issues to resolve.

I still want to find an Uno with the 'Trip Master'. Bet they made, like, ten of them - just for fun and only sold in Italy. :) The Haynes manual said something like "...fitted to 1300SL models". There wasn't any such thing as a '1300SL' and a 70SL in New Zealand certainly didn't come with the Trip Master, nor even the Check Panel that was fitted to 70S (early) models. I saw that the Check Panel cropped up again on the Mk2, yet wasn't fitted to the later Mk1s, except perhaps the 70SX that we don't have here, but Chas has...

-Alex

I've been sorting all the electrics as I go. Think it will be easier to do with the seats out.

I've had both fog lamps down - one defective before I put it on the car (after the fun I had with the MK2 I checked them before fitting the bumper ;)) turned out to be corroded under the earth lead inside the back of the lamp.

the other was a bad connection at where it joins the loom.

I cleaned up them hedgehog earth points before I put them back, as well as all the spade connectors and applied petroleum jelly liberally so no bad connections found there.

A headlamp bulb was broke but I remember kicking it for Emma's sei :eek: the odd thing is that with standard 55/60W bulbs and no relays my headlamps are as bright as Jai's :cool:

Both front offside indicators were duff, but soon sorted them

Had to take the fan switch apart and clean the contacts and still it didn't work :confused: with a wiggle of the wire inside the engine bay it came back to life (y) switch now works backwards so must have put it back together wrong :)

I forgot the wiper switches should light up :eek:. can't remember if they ever did in either of my base Unos.. more bulbs to change :) got the fibre optic working with the help of a new bulb :D

As for the oil temp sensor, if it’s the one that lives in the oil cooler banjo bolt, mine is in the wrong end of the sandwich plate. It would be on the return from the oil cooler as someone has helicoiled the top one (flow?) and fitted a union to nice braded oil lines. The bottom one uses the standard banjo, so whoever fixed it can’t have realised the problem it would cause.

Maybe I’ll need to find another location for the sensor (any ideas Alex? :D), or perhaps helicoil the spare sandwich plate on the other tapping as I like the braded pipes.

The digital dash was an OEM option early in the life of the UT. Don’t think they were available for long.

Cheers AB!!

The Uno came with another exhaust. I got the one I’m running now off a MK2 I broke a bit back. I nearly sold it but remembered that it wasn’t too loud for me and realised I’d not herd the original.

Think I was wise to keep the zorst from that MK2, and don't think I'll ever hear the other one.

I still want to find an Uno with the 'Trip Master'. Bet they made, like, ten of them - just for fun and only sold in Italy. :) The Haynes manual said something like "...fitted to 1300SL models". There wasn't any such thing as a '1300SL' and a 70SL in New Zealand certainly didn't come with the Trip Master, nor even the Check Panel that was fitted to 70S (early) models. I saw that the Check Panel cropped up again on the Mk2, yet wasn't fitted to the later Mk1s, except perhaps the 70SX that we don't have here, but Chas has...

I've seen the "Trip Master" in the mk1 handbook but have never seen one for real. Must've been a European option perhaps? :confused:

As for the check panel, that was fitted to early 70S models (with electric windows that had the switches in a little pod under the stereo console!) Later 70S models had the same spec as the other 'S' models, but I think very early 70SX models also had the check panel (86 - 87 I think). The check panel was notorious for being unreliable which is why Fiat dropped it from the later models. I still have one of the instrument pods somewhere with the check unit fitted... :eek:

That digital dash looks cool, is it a fiat option or some 3rd party bit of kit. Your engine sounds nice

Digi dash was a factory option. They weren't very popular initially so Fiat dropped it from later UT's. Now they're sought after because they're rare and retro :rolleyes: :p

Finally got my mits on a header tank (probably the dirtiest in the land :p) and after a scrub and power wash it came cleanish on the outside, and erm a bit cleaner inside :dead:

I'd washed the radiator, pipes, hoses and old (duff) header tank, and backwashed the heater matrix when the car was in bits. I forgot to wash the engine's internal waterways when of the car :mad:, so it was just rust inside the head and block that was haunting me.

Anyway, after running gallons of water through the car's water system, replacing bottom hose, warming and the engine and changing water again and again it finally ran clear :slayer:.

So in went the coolant antifreeze and had the car up to full running temp for the first time today - and Hay Presto.. the fan cuts in full speed at a line or two above 90 :D.

Who needs the slow speed fan :confused: - I've bypassed the rusted resistor which wouldn't have worked and made the fan not cut in at all till too hot :slayer:

Also got the rear wheels off (y) Alex, these only took about 3 hours last night and 1 hour tonight after a good long soak in WD40 :cool:. Just slightly more grief than the front ones :rolleyes:

Could do with some brakes still :eek:

Brakes are nice to have, but overrated. :)

Expansion tank... oooh yeah... cleaning those things is a mission, I've tried using battery acid to dissolve the rust, seems to work! But on the whole, waste of time... you can actually buy them new and they look so much nicer ;) However, I don't know whether the tank on the Uno Turbo is EVER very translucent though - I think they're pretty much opaque white. If so, maybe it's not really worth buying a new one.

Rear wheels... haha, most of my project cars seem to be like that, the very last thing to come off is the rear wheels for a quick look-sie at the brakes, then the wheels go back on...! Months of work spent at the front end, suspension etc., and very little work at the back end.

-Alex

Had to test my Uno cos the Forge wasn't working properly ;) your Van Aaken DV sounds nice on my Uno:D.

Found that the Forge has the wrong spring so not dumping till about 2 bar is hit :eek:

couple of emails to Forge and proper spring is in the post (y). I really want a recirculating valve :slayer:

Back