General The big move

Currently reading:
General The big move

Sbf500

So to day was the day that all those long summer shake down drives finally paid off, for the move to Ireland which ment a short 200 mile jaunt from South to North Wales to get the ferry over to Dublin.

I kept to mainly quieter A roads and B roads taking a rough route of Monmouth, Hereford and then cross country to Montgomery, Welshpool, Lake Vyrnwy, Bala and then though the heart of the Snowdonia National park and then on to Holyhead.

Apart from Snowdonia the route kept away from the steeper hills of mid Wales but wasn’t as monotonous as ploughing up the A49 and A55.

Here are some pics for you to enjoy. I would say the only problem with the whole trip is that my seats definitely need re bolstering!!

IMG_0052.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
I love a road trip in a Classic, nothing like that feeling of “is it gonna make it?” Lol. Used to have Classic minis and will hopefully have another one soon. Well done and enjoy 🍻

I love a road trip in a Classic, nothing like that feeling of “is it gonna make it?” Lol. Used to have Classic minis and will hopefully have another one soon. Well done and enjoy 🍻
One of my last trips in my old mini was down to the south of Spain. Miss that car and wish I’d saved it. Oh well.

So my trip had an unexpected extension today. The garage I was going to store it in was shut. The owner forgot they we away so an impromptu extra 120miles over to County Clare to make use of my mother in laws garage.

Again car was spot on apart from a sudden noticeable smell of fuel on coasting down a hill. Turns out the brass pipe on the carb was loose. Interestingly someone when referbing it has threaded it so I just screwed it back in. Any suggestions on how to get it to stick more permanently that is petrol safe?

Photos are not quite as picturesque , more because I was in more of a rush.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
So my trip had an unexpected extension today. The garage I was going to store it in was shut. The owner forgot they we away so an impromptu extra 120miles over to County Clare to make use of my mother in laws garage.

Again car was spot on apart from a sudden noticeable smell of fuel on coasting down a hill. Turns out the brass pipe on the carb was loose. Interestingly someone when referbing it has threaded it so I just screwed it back in. Any suggestions on how to get it to stick more permanently that is petrol safe?

Photos are not quite as picturesque , more because I was in more of a rush.
The brass spigot coming loose on the carb is a common problem, and potentially catastophic! Good catch! I used an epoxy metal (Plastic Padding chemical metal or similar) to 'cement' mine in place; it has held so far...just ensure the surfaces are spotlessly clean and lightly key them. I applied very little to the internally fitted portion as you really don't want any of this ending up in the carb jets and galleries.

The brass spigot coming loose on the carb is a common problem, and potentially catastophic! Good catch! I used an epoxy metal (Plastic Padding chemical metal or similar) to 'cement' mine in place; it has held so far...just ensure the surfaces are spotlessly clean and lightly key them. I applied very little to the internally fitted portion as you really don't want any of this ending up in the carb jets and galleries.
Great thanks for the advice. I had heard and seen pics of the horror stories so before the trip I bought a fire extinguisher just in case. It’s odd for some reason as soon as I smelt fuel I just had a hunch it was that. Think until I can do a permanent fix that a wire around the pipe clamp and carb body might be a good precaution of complete failure as I need to drive it back up to Dublin in a couple of weeks.

So much for it never seeing rain. Very happy I fitted my other set of wiper links that has no play in n them as they certainly got used!

Definitely has given me the bug for some longer adventures around Ireland though.

Great thanks for the advice. I had heard and seen pics of the horror stories so before the trip I bought a fire extinguisher just in case. It’s odd for some reason as soon as I smelt fuel I just had a hunch it was that. Think until I can do a permanent fix that a wire around the pipe clamp and carb body might be a good precaution of complete failure as I need to drive it back up to Dublin in a couple of weeks.

So much for it never seeing rain. Very happy I fitted my other set of wiper links that has no play in n them as they certainly got used!

Definitely has given me the bug for some longer adventures around Ireland though.
The little badge on your rear bumper would indicate to me that you are a Cornishman---am I right? Well done on your trip---reminds me of the days when my then girlfriend (and wife for the last 50 years) used to think nothing of driving in my 500 from south London up to Edinburgh, where her parents lived (and we ended up)---we moved, lock, stockand barrel in the 500, EVERYTHING we both possesed!

If you need anything 500 related while you are here do let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Did you come right through Dublin, M7 to Limerick or what route did you take to Clare? If you went that way you passed right by me in kildare.

If you need anything 500 related while you are here do let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Did you come right through Dublin, M7 to Limerick or what route did you take to Clare? If you went that way you passed right by me in kildare.
Ah great thanks. I took the old road so when most of the way on the R445 apart from a bit north of Newbridge and Kildare, no idea why but that was the way Google took me.

So Newbridge, the Curragh, Kildare Town, Monastrevin, Emo, Portlaoise and then across into Borris/Mountrath? You certainly went off the main stretch alright!

Note Ireland only now has E10 fuel so buy an additive if you feel the need.

Hit my up if you need anything at all.

So Newbridge, the Curragh, Kildare Town, Monastrevin, Emo, Portlaoise and then across into Borris/Mountrath? You certainly went off the main stretch alright!

Note Ireland only now has E10 fuel so buy an additive if you feel the need.

Hit my up if you need anything at all.
It was basically just west of Naas take road to Rathangan then back down to Monasterevin. Then stick on the old road all the way to Birdhill where it was the off towards O’Brians Bridge and then Parteen.

I was already running it with E5 and sometimes would put E10 in as it was the only option.

Have you found any long term issues on E10 or has the additive you use kept things at bay?

Be doing the trip back again in a couple of weeks for my VRT appointment, always nice to have an excuse for a long drive.

It was basically just west of Naas take road to Rathangan then back down to Monasterevin. Then stick on the old road all the way to Birdhill where it was the off towards O’Brians Bridge and then Parteen.

I was already running it with E5 and sometimes would put E10 in as it was the only option.

Have you found any long term issues on E10 or has the additive you use kept things at bay?

Be doing the trip back again in a couple of weeks for my VRT appointment, always nice to have an excuse for a long drive.
My 850 and my dads Silver Shadow seem to be running a little hotter. But other than that nothing, early days though.
Europe and the UK still have E5 so whether or not fuel pump and carb kits suitable for E10 will become available is still to be seen.

My 850 and my dads Silver Shadow seem to be running a little hotter. But other than that nothing, early days though.
Europe and the UK still have E5 so whether or not fuel pump and carb kits suitable for E10 will become available is still to be seen.
The engine is still standard so I doubt I’m getting that much hotter unless it is a really hot summer day.

The engine is still standard so I doubt I’m getting that much hotter unless it is a really hot summer day.
I would suggest that you DO use an "anti-ethanol" additive. Ethanol has water in it, and can leave the inside of the combustion chamber of an alloy head with hundreds of tiny pock-marks-----just like if you WERE putting water through the fuel system. Additionally, Ethanol can be highly damaging to 'classic car' fuel systems, which were not designed for it.

I would suggest that you DO use an "anti-ethanol" additive. Ethanol has water in it, and can leave the inside of the combustion chamber of an alloy head with hundreds of tiny pock-marks-----just like if you WERE putting water through the fuel system. Additionally, Ethanol can be highly damaging to 'classic car' fuel systems, which were not designed for it.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention I am using one, Classic Valve Master, been using since they stopped LRP when I had my old mini when I started driving. Thus far it seems to be doing the job.

I was more thinking about the additional heat and given the 500s come from Italy and coped with an Italian summer that in original form the cooling system should be able to cope?

Any suggestions on how to get it to stick more permanently that is petrol safe
JB WELDIT very good for this sort of thing. I would add a new e10 additive in addition to LRP octane booster unless you can get a combined additive now. Ethanol is nearly as bad as lead freexas farcas I can see.

JB WELDIT very good for this sort of thing. I would add a new e10 additive in addition to LRP octane booster unless you can get a combined additive now. Ethanol is nearly as bad as lead freexas farcas I can see.
It does have it, they updated the formula but not the name.

Oh and thanks for the advice on the JB Weldit

Back