Taxing a SORN vehicle

Currently reading:
Taxing a SORN vehicle

I hate the DVLA with a passion - always obstructing you from doing the simplest of tasks and preventing you from being legit :bang:

Trying to tax a Panda that's been SORN for the last 4.5 years.

Got the last SORN remember from August 2011. Punched the reference number in online. Not recognised. Used the phone service, and the same thing, not recognised. (n)

The car is insured and MOTed and not I can get the flipping thing taxed.

Am I missing something obvious here :confused:

All I want to do is bend over and let them take me for £135, and they're refusing.

head into the post office tomorrow and get it done their, if they have any problems then they can contact the DVLA directly

Ta, I take it MOT, insurance cert and past SORN doc for Aug 2011 will be adequate?

I'm hoping no-one wants the V5C as its been lost to oblivion and I'm against paying £25 for a replacement when I know they're changing them all for the RED ones by the end of the year anyway.

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately they need the V5C when it's been on SORN and you can't do it online either without the reference number from the V5.

You will need the V5C, MOT, insurance, and then bend over for them to swipe your card! (n)

I sympathise with you, I've had the same trouble trying to do it right - the rules only inconvenience anyone trying to be legit, never those who just ignore everything official............... :doh:

BTW the red V5C should have come out after you last Sorned it - they send them when the car's next taxed or Sorned - I think I've got all of mine now, but I'm not entirely sure! Who me, too many cars?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yes if they scan the bar code they should be able to issue tax

That's what I'm hoping. It was used to SORN it online last year though, and when using the reference number it says not recognised (n)

Just hoping my local postmaster can sort it tomorrow when I call in on the way to work, or I'll be having to make a trip to the DVLA in Norwich :(

Back