General Swift 2008 fiat 2.3 Ltr. Bessacarr E460. How can I lock the vehicle up without using the alarm, thus I want to save battery power

Currently reading:
General Swift 2008 fiat 2.3 Ltr. Bessacarr E460. How can I lock the vehicle up without using the alarm, thus I want to save battery power

Wiff2110

hello motorhomers, i am trying to find out how to lock my motorhome up without the red flashing lights being on and thus not being alarmed. I’ve tried all sequences using the remote and spare key, but the alarm light 💡 and the lock/unlock lights on the centre dash just keep flashing.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Can you lock the doors with the mechanical/emergency key only?

Are you sure you actually have an alarm fitted. On later Fiats, e.g. 500X then alarm was an option but if no alarm then an LED on the dash still flashes to indicated that the car is locked and the immobiliser is operating. Also a deterrent / alarm indication to thieves.

If you can lock with mechanical key only and the LED still flashes then you can check if you really have alarm by leaving a window open, locking the doors then reach through and open door from inside. Does an alarm sound?

I would have thought fitting an alarm to a motorhome would be odd unless you had a separate way of disengaging it. Motor homes are designed to be lock with residents still inside and moving about, sitting in front swivel seats etc.

hello motorhomers, i am trying to find out how to lock my motorhome up without the red flashing lights being on and thus not being alarmed. I’ve tried all sequences using the remote and spare key, but the alarm light 💡 and the lock/unlock lights on the centre dash just keep flashing.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure the alarm is being set when the centre dash button is pressed? It hasn't on the 4 Ducato motorhomes I have had. I guess that if it is you will have to investigate that with the alarm company. The alarm only sets on those I have owned when either the doors are locked with the Fiat fob key or a separate alarm fob.

I would have thought fitting an alarm to a motorhome would be odd unless you had a separate way of disengaging it. Motor homes are designed to be lock with residents still inside and moving about, sitting in front swivel seats etc.
There is a process to disengage the internal sensors so that it can be alarmed whilst inside without setting it off.

Are you sure you actually have an alarm fitted. On later Fiats, e.g. 500X then alarm was an option but if no alarm then an LED on the dash still flashes to indicated that the car is locked and the immobiliser is operating. Also a deterrent / alarm indication to thieves.

If you can lock with mechanical key only and the LED still flashes then you can check if you really have alarm by leaving a window open, locking the doors then reach through and open door from inside. Does an alarm sound?

Hi, thanks for your reply, my alarm sometimes goes off in the night so I am trying to disarm it whilst it can be locked. When I use the key in the door to lock it the alarm again is set, this I am trying to avoid, I want the flashing light off simply because I want to observe my vehicle battery that went down to 8 volts after being away for 5 weeks. I did have the power connected to the motorhome for all of this time.

Hi, thanks for your reply, my alarm sometimes goes off in the night so I am trying to disarm it whilst it can be locked. When I use the key in the door to lock it the alarm again is set, this I am trying to avoid, I want the flashing light off simply because I want to observe my vehicle battery that went down to 8 volts after being away for 5 weeks. I did have the power connected to the motorhome for all of this time.
What alarm have you got e.g. Gemeni , Cobra etc. In any event you need to find out how it is being set. Internal locking with centre switch or using key in drivers door should not set it.

Perhaps you could consider a float / maintenance battery charger of some sort. If you have a mains connection then a CTEK is good or failing that a solar panel in the windscreen.

Perhaps you could consider a float / maintenance battery charger of some sort. If you have a mains connection then a CTEK is good or failing that a solar panel in the windscreen.
Should have added that letting your battery drop below 50% SOC (state of charge ) will shorten its life. Depends a bit on a temperature and type but I wouldn’t let any of my batteries drop below 12.25volts.
8 volts will be very detrimental.

I have a smart charger connected over night and it’s voltage on charge was 14.30v.this morning, so Ive started and run the engine for a while, also 14.10v from the alternator so now I’ll leave it a few days to see if it will maintain 12v plus. Thanx for your interest.

Yes the cab doors can be locked with the mechanical key.
yes I have an alarm fitted because it sometimes goes off in the night causing a disturbance.
finally after lots of button press the motorhome was locked and the console red light and the alarm red lights were out, but buggered if I can reproduce it now.

I have a smart charger connected over night and it’s voltage on charge was 14.30v.this morning, so Ive started and run the engine for a while, also 14.10v from the alternator so now I’ll leave it a few days to see if it will maintain 12v plus. Thanx for your interest.
Always a good plan to keep the battery topped up if you can. My classic car battery lives with a charger connected all through winter and any period when I’m not going to use it for a week or so. Battery is 10 years old and still spins the starter as fast as when it was new. Famous last words of course.
No doubt you know a battery will always show a higher voltage while charging and also for a while after the charger is removed ( called a surface charge).
So, if you are going to monitor battery SOC, leave it for an hour or so before you take your voltage reading.
Alternatively turn on the lights for a few minutes if in a rush. Hopefully you will have around 12.6 volts when fully charged, 12.25 volts @ 50% SOC. Those figures are approximate and do vary a bit depending on type but if you can keep your battery between those figures then that should give you a good battery life.
Sorry if I’m trying to teach granny to suck eggs as the saying goes.

Yes the cab doors can be locked with the mechanical key.
yes I have an alarm fitted because it sometimes goes off in the night causing a disturbance.
finally after lots of button press the motorhome was locked and the console red light and the alarm red lights were out, but buggered if I can reproduce it now.
Some alarms will monitor battery voltage so if the voltage drops too low triggers. Saves your battery getting nicked.

Always a good plan to keep the battery topped up if you can. My classic car battery lives with a charger connected all through winter and any period when I’m not going to use it for a week or so. Battery is 10 years old and still spins the starter as fast as when it was new. Famous last words of course.
No doubt you know a battery will always show a higher voltage while charging and also for a while after the charger is removed ( called a surface charge).
So, if you are going to monitor battery SOC, leave it for an hour or so before you take your voltage reading.
Alternatively turn on the lights for a few minutes if in a rush. Hopefully you will have around 12.6 volts when fully charged, 12.25 volts @ 50% SOC. Those figures are approximate and do vary a bit depending on type but if you can keep your battery between those figures then that should give you a good battery life.
Sorry if I’m trying to teach granny to suck eggs as the saying goes.
Would you say its ok to leave my smart charger continually on the vehicle battery whilst the EHU is also plugged in and selected on to supply 240 volts.

Would you say its ok to leave my smart charger continually on the vehicle battery whilst the EHU is also plugged in and selected on to supply 240 volts.
As long as your charger will switch to maintenance mode when your battery is fully charged then it would be fine for your battery. You might need to check that it definitely has that facility.
Presumably your engine battery is stand alone and not linked to a secondary battery.

I don’t know your sites regulations about leaving appliances plugged in or your thoughts about any resultant fire risk so that will be your choice. Obviously it’s very important that you have the correct fuses installed, ie no one has put a 13 A in your charger plug.
If it helps your decision I’ve had one charger fail in 20 years and it just failed to maintain a high enough voltage.

What alarm have you got e.g. Gemeni , Cobra etc. In any event you need to find out how it is being set. Internal locking with centre switch or using key in drivers door should not set it.
It’s a cobra Globe 4800/4900 series, and when I lock the cab door either using the remote or the spade key from outside it arms the alarm and so the alarm light flashes. I do find it strange that there isn’t a mechanical selector on the inside of the cab doors for locking/unlocking.

It’s a cobra Globe 4800/4900 series, and when I lock the cab door either using the remote or the spade key from outside it arms the alarm and so the alarm light flashes. I do find it strange that there isn’t a mechanical selector on the inside of the cab doors for locking/unlocking.
Then I think it has either been installed incorrectly or if a settable parameter it has been set up wrongly. The instruction for arming are below. There is no mention of arming via the door key or internal switch. Perhaps a google for a local Cobra installer would be cost effective?

3 - BRIEF INSTRUCTIONS​

3.1 - Arming
• Press the button of the radio control to lock the doors (if the
vehicle has central locking).
• The turn indicators will blink .
• The buzzer will issue two beeps (if activated).
• The protections activate after a 40 s timer has elapsed.
• The LED will come on constantly for 40 s then it will flash.

Solved. Put key in ignition and turn on, turn it off. Lock the doors with the ignition key. job done. Motorhome locked without alarm being on. 🔑

Then I think it has either been installed incorrectly or if a settable parameter it has been set up wrongly. The instruction for arming are below. There is no mention of arming via the door key or internal switch. Perhaps a google for a local Cobra installer would be cost effective?

3 - BRIEF INSTRUCTIONS​

3.1 - Arming
• Press the button of the radio control to lock the doors (if the
vehicle has central locking).
• The turn indicators will blink .
• The buzzer will issue two beeps (if activated).
• The protections activate after a 40 s timer has elapsed.
• The LED will come on constantly for 40 s then it will flash.
My problem finally solved, put key in the ignition and switch on, switch off and remove key. Lock doors using ignition key and no alarm red light flashing. Motorhome locked without the alarm being set. T.U.

Ignition key in and turn on, turn off and remove key. Lock doors using key. Problem solved. T.U.

Back