Technical strange noise in the engine

Currently reading:
Technical strange noise in the engine

vicechus

Hello everyone, for a few days I have a noise in my 2.8 sofim engine, when starting without accelerating a noise sounds for 3 seconds in the area of the oil pump, it is a noise that seems to be rubbing, at idle it is not noticeable, When you accelerate if that noise increases, the timing belt is new, the complete kit, the steering pump and the brake vacuum pump have been changed but the noise is still there, I have gone to several workshops but they do not know exactly where it is from the noise, has anyone had a noise like that in their van?

Hello everyone, for a few days I have a noise in my 2.8 sofim engine, when starting without accelerating a noise sounds for 3 seconds in the area of the oil pump, it is a noise that seems to be rubbing, at idle it is not noticeable, When you accelerate if that noise increases, the timing belt is new, the complete kit, the steering pump and the brake vacuum pump have been changed but the noise is still there, I have gone to several workshops but they do not know exactly where it is from the noise, has anyone had a noise like that in their van?
Have you had the timing cover off again to check since work done?
Sometimes a stethoscope or even a long screwdriver held against your ear and careful of moving parts, placed near where you think the noise is coming from can help locate it.
In case it is something small like an alternator belt, spraying WD40 or similar can show it, or even turning the headlights on to increase the load, much in the same way if it was the power steering pump turning the steering can show it, or pumping the brake pedal can show the vacuum pump if faulty.

hello and I used the stethoscope and it makes a lot of noise in the lower part of the oil pump between the filter and the cooler, also to say that if it is stopped all night when starting it sounds loud until the oil light goes off for approximately 2 or 3 seconds and at idle it is not heard, but when you accelerate the sound increases, the oil light does not come on when you drive

I’d be taking the sump off and having a look to see oil pickup, just to allay any fears, at least you can have a look at the engine bottom whilst you’re there. My old 2.8 daily had a noise, like a quiet power steering pump on full lock. It had not long since had an oil change, on examination the pickup was gunged up to high heaven. A proper clean up sorted it

I’d be taking the sump off and having a look to see oil pickup, just to allay any fears, at least you can have a look at the engine bottom whilst you’re there. My old 2.8 daily had a noise, like a quiet power steering pump on full lock. It had not long since had an oil change, on examination the pickup was gunged up to high heaven. A proper clean up sorted it
Dodgy oil filter first? But it does sound like worth checking the oil pick up.

Hello, I have removed the tube that goes directly to the crankcase and I have started the engine, it blows air, I think it is clean, from below I have also seen a screw under the injection pump, which is that of a pressure regulating valve, but I cannot loosen it without remove the injection pump, the noise is strange, the oil pump does not have bearings, is it possible a sound of excess pressure if the valve is stuck?

Hello, I have removed the tube that goes directly to the crankcase and I have started the engine, it blows air, I think it is clean, from below I have also seen a screw under the injection pump, which is that of a pressure regulating valve, but I cannot loosen it without remove the injection pump, the noise is strange, the oil pump does not have bearings, is it possible a sound of excess pressure if the valve is stuck?
Not sure which pipe you mean, from my memory of Iveco Daily's with the 2.8 Sofim engine any flow and return of oil to the pump was via the ports in the cylinder block where the combined unit of injector pump, power steering pump,vacuum pump and oil filter was held onto the cylinder block by several long bolts which to gain access would involve cam belt off and all the injector pipes etc.
As a start why don't to fill a brand new oil filter with oil and fit it to the engine, if it started quietly it may be a pointer to what @porta was saying about checking for a blocked oil strainer/pickup pipe in the sump.

This afternoon, checking the engine again, I see that when the camshaft is started, it lubricates very little, but the oil light is off. When the engine is warmed up, it seems that the noise in the oil pump area is less and the lubrication is better. but when letting the engine cool and restarting the noise returns and the lubrication in the camshaft is little

This afternoon, checking the engine again, I see that when the camshaft is started, it lubricates very little, but the oil light is off. When the engine is warmed up, it seems that the noise in the oil pump area is less and the lubrication is better. but when letting the engine cool and restarting the noise returns and the lubrication in the camshaft is little
It does seem to a slow lubrication issue/blockage .
Is it high mileage/neglected oil changes vehicle? Not being rude, but may be contributing to your problem.
I had around five Ivecos and one Fiat Ducato with those engines and each one when I bought it I would warm the engine up, add a tin of engine flush for twenty minutes then drain and fit new oil and filter and always do regular oil and filter changes including an engine flush to protect the engines and they never let me down even with high mileages.

The vehicle has 120,000 km, I bought it with 108,000 km and the oil was changed when it was purchased, this morning the oil and filter were changed in case the noise was due to that but no, would it be convenient to start by looking at the condition of the carter oil collector?

Sorry, my English is not very good, I will do what you and @porta have recommended to me, I will check the sump and I will comment on the next few days, I appreciate your help

Sorry, my English is not very good, I will do what you and @porta have recommended to me, I will check the sump and I will comment on the next few days, I appreciate your help
A lot better than my Spanish :).
When you take the sump off to check the oil strainer and pickup that leads to the oil pump, see if the pipe is cracked or the flange gasket where it is bolted to the block is damaged, if it can suck air through a crack it would make the suction weak to the oil pump and slow to build up oil pressure to protect the engine. This may be the noise you could hear with the stethoscope, like air bubbles in the oil trying suck up into the oil pump maybe?
I trust there is no signs of engine damage, I know you said the oil was slow to get to the camshaft.
Several of mine had mileages over 175,000 and one at 247,000, a Russian online said those engine could do around 500,000Kilometers?
Generally I think they are good strong engines.

Hello, after a few days in the workshop, my Fiat Ducato finally works correctly, I told the mechanic to check the sump, and the internal filter was clean, but the sump had a small bump right in the area where the tube takes oil from the sumpy sure, very near to background causing a fault similar to the clogged filter, it has been changed for a new sump and the problem has disappeared all this has been thanks to you @porta and @bugsymike thank you very much for guiding me

Back