Tuning straight pipes or resonator delete?

Currently reading:
Tuning straight pipes or resonator delete?

Hi

I've been told that cheapest way to improve a cars sound is to remove the muffler and/or resonator?

Has anyone done this to a T-Jet? does it sound okay? Does it sound 'fart' like or like a ricer car?

Thanks!

*i know absolutely nothing about exhaust systems

Remove all the boxes and have a single small silencer at the back, i have a straight through exhaust (no cat or rear silencer) with the worlds smallest straight through muffler in the middle which is about 6 inches long

The turbo does 70% of the reduction in noise anyway so dont treat it like an n/a car

Roughly how much did that cost to get done?

I'm pretty sure removing the cat is illegal in Aus and the fines are hefty, would removing everything but the cat still have much effect? I don't want too much drone at constant/high speeds and want to avoid a 'fart' like sound if possible as well

Roughly how much did that cost to get done?

I'm pretty sure removing the cat is illegal in Aus and the fines are hefty, would removing everything but the cat still have much effect? I don't want too much drone at constant/high speeds and want to avoid a 'fart' like sound if possible as well

If you keep the cat and stick to a 2 1/4 inch system it wont be loud at all, infact you will struggle to hear it if you have music on. But it will burble nicely at low revs and give it a bit of sound when you floor it. If you go up to a 2 1/2 inch system it will be louder but will drone more

Btw removing the cat in the UK is also illegal iirc, but not something im particuarly worried about

done in my linea t-jet (same as the grande t-jet engine) i have done pre-cat 3" all the way and de-cat of course as it is legal here in Egypt with a straight out middle box and straight out back box it was very loud and it killed the torque in low rpm (i didn't mapped it yet) so i changed the end box with a one with filter it sounds really nice now and the low rpm torque got better
and i will remap it soon with a vl36 turbo

Last edited:
Thanks Yoko & Gym Junkie for your advice. I think 3" may be too loud for my taste. Judging by what you've said, somewhere between a 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 would be good, so 2 2/5? haha. How big is the stock system?

Back