Technical Stilo - OEM Gas Discharge Headlamp Beams

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo - OEM Gas Discharge Headlamp Beams

I happened to park in front of a wall last night and noticed that my headlamps only projected the raised triangular beam pattern from the left hand lamp. The right hand lamp projects a flat horizontal beam.

Does anyone know, or could check, if this is correct. All other asymetric headlamps I've seen have the raised triangular beam from both headlamps. I need a new MOT next month and don't want to be failed by an over zealuos tester.

This is for a 2003 Stilo JTD MultiWagon with Fiat original fitment gas discharge headlamps.

Dave.

You wont fail. You only fail if the kick up is on the right side. i.e. european lamps. These still pass if the sticker is used to blank off the right kickup and have a flat beam pattern. I am pretty sure my Xenons have it on both lamps though. Hold a piece of cardboard in front of the light at about 1m distance and you should be able to clearly see it. At certain distances it will not be visable due to the focal length of the lense that the light passes through.

My dad had that problem on his stilo mw with oe xenons! It turned out to be a sensor on the back suspension for the automatic leveling function that wasn't working.

I checked mine last night and it is definitely there. It is not as obvious as on other lights, but it is there. I cant compare it to my left hand one because it is a european one with the beam blanked off.

@john55.... Thanks for checking john.

My dad had that problem on his stilo mw with oe xenons! It turned out to be a sensor on the back suspension for the automatic leveling function that wasn't working.

Hmmm....... interesting, I understood that the 2 sensors (back suspension and O/S/F suspension) were there to automatically level the beams to prevent dazzling other drivers. I know it's a legal requirement to have a self levelling system if you have HID gas discharge headlamps.

The sensors on mine, raise or lower both headlamps simultaneously. I don't see how they can just cut off part of the beam from one headlamp.

Dave.

Hmmm....... interesting, I understood that the 2 sensors (back suspension and O/S/F suspension) were there to automatically level the beams to prevent dazzling other drivers. I know it's a legal requirement to have a self levelling system if you have HID gas discharge headlamps.

The sensors on mine, raise or lower both headlamps simultaneously. I don't see how they can just cut off part of the beam from one headlamp.

Dave.

They cant adjust the beam pattern, just raise and lower the lights. Also, can you see yours moving the lights up and down? I dont think mine are working as they dip when the car starts, but I can not make the level change by weighting the back of the car. I would expect to see the beams stay in the same place, but they point up if I stand in the boot.

Mine do a little 'dance' every time I switch them on for the first time after switching the ignition on. First they go up then down then up again to what I guess is the correct level in relation to the 2 sensors positions. They both adjust together if I weight the back of the car.

The level adjusters seem to be working correctly. It's just that the right hand beam never has the kick up part to it.

Dave.

YEP, THAT'S WHAT WE THOUGHT, THAT THE PATTERN WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE REAR SENSORS FOR THE LEVELING BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS IT DID. HAD THE SENSOR CHANGED AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE PATTERN WAS CORRECT. REALLY STRANGE.:confused:

Back