Technical stilo noise please help

Currently reading:
Technical stilo noise please help

ive got a 2003 stilo 3 door jtd with a sort of drowning noise worst at around 20 mph i thought it was a wheel bearing as when going in a straight line when you steer left and right the tone of the noise changes slightly so i changed both the front wheel bearings but noise is still there

have you checked the CV joints?

also the bearing where the drive shaft meets the gearbox can go as well.

If not, its probably your diff failling, however not seen this happen on a JTD, every case has been on petrol models, so likely to be either CV joints or driveshaft bearings at the gearbox

I’m thinking the same thing as deckchair wheel bearing noise can be very deceptive.
Best to get in the back middle and get someone else to drive it then see what you think, or jack up the rear and spin the wheels.

What sort of mileage has the car done?
Did it start making the noise after the new tyres or before are they at the right pressure? Some tyres can be very noisy like wheel bearing noise.
Apart from the wheel bearings has it had any other work done on the front end?

tyres are the right pressuers ect car done 50 000 if i get to say 30 mph then slow down as i get to bout 20 mph as well as the nouse wich increases slightly you get a very very slight vibration through the car does it in gear or out of gear and the noise does change very slightly if you steer left and right

Back