General STILO 1600 TOP SPEED... is it realistic???

Currently reading:
General STILO 1600 TOP SPEED... is it realistic???

i understand that at some point, everyone will push there car and see what it will actually do - but who in their right mind would reach for their mobile.. and start taking picture's of the speedo !!!

its easy if there is a 5 lane highway and its a total straightaway for 4 klm and its early in the morning and your literally the only person on the road its simple. :p i dont condone it but yes i enjoy taking it to that speed it sort of an adrenaline rush. Of course i did it seeing i was only one on the road or else i would have slowed down id rather be responsible for my life not someone else who happened to be on the road. So many people do it on the autobahn i dont say everyone should do it nor can you compare the autobahn with any other road I did it for about 15 min and slowed down a tad (160 klm lol) to continue my trip. By the way how does this sound for consumption doing 200 klm? i had 21 liters per 100klm on the instant consumption reading at that speed lol THe funny thing is it wasnt in the redline area still. The 1.6 has some really long gear ratios. my second gear hits about 100klm red line

Last edited:
There was a thread like this on Alfa Owner a while back about speeding and when its ok to do so. Personally I cant believe it enters a drivers mind that speeding is ok!?!?

Personally I know someone who was hit by a speeding driver as he was walking down a pavement, although he didnt die then the effects of that ultimatly caused him to pass away about two years ago. So in my mind no matter what the time of day/road conditions etc....soeeding is unacceptable and you get what you deserve!!

Sorry for my rant, just speeding is a touchy subject for me!

But back on topic it is just asking for trouble taking a picture of the speedo showing you speeding! :bang:

There was a thread like this on Alfa Owner a while back about speeding and when its ok to do so. Personally I cant believe it enters a drivers mind that speeding is ok!?!?

I agree, but the question is, where do you draw the line? If you hit someone at 20mph they will be considerably more scarred than if you miss them at 40mph. Speed is obviously not the sole issue.

100 years ago I'm sure there were people frightened at the prospect of vehicles exceeding 20mph - somehow the speed limit (set in the 60's) was higher than that, but hasn't really moved much since given the advances in vehicle handling (and, of course, speed).

Personally I know someone who was hit by a speeding driver as he was walking down a pavement, although he didnt die then the effects of that ultimatly caused him to pass away about two years ago. So in my mind no matter what the time of day/road conditions etc....soeeding is unacceptable and you get what you deserve!!

Yes, I agree. A world without speeding might be a safer place. What was the driver doing on the pavement? When a car and a pedestrian meet, it is always a disaster. I think that it is too easy for drivers to become complacent and unaware of the danger to people around them.

But back on topic it is just asking for trouble taking a picture of the speedo showing you speeding! :bang:

I've almost got over doing this myself :eek:
Generally I think videos are best for high-speed runs :tempt:

But again, you're right, if we could all give up speeding, taking photos while speeding, drinking, smoking, sex, and general pollution of the earth, then things would be a lot better :)

-Alex

Last edited:
... and within SECONDS of reaching 136km/h (with a friend following) I had a mobile disco behind me - and a $400 fine (150 pounds) ... ...I would have lost my license for 28 days and had my car confiscated...

Friendly quotes on the other side I see. I got caught speeding (a well known camera, but was a bit eager to pick up my wife at the airport, driving my fathers "no-speed-feel" Mondeo). 110 km/h (66 mph) in a 80 km/h (48 mph) speed limit. This was on the highway (at least the Norwegian standard). Cost me £ 550 GBP. IF I was caught driving 1 km faster (111 km/h), the fine would be £ 650 GBP. 6 km more and I would still get the last ticket, but loose my license for 6 months or more as a bonus.

And if you get caught drunk driving (doesn't matter how much/little) you get 1,5 times your (gross salary before tax) income. A couple of years without a license, and eventually prison a month nailing Europallets.

Can anyone beat this?

It is defo possible coz the car is sed to be hitting 220 KPH. Which is about 115-120 mph, which is reasonable for a 1.6

lool was good fun though :p

i personally have taken a 1.6 mk5 golf to 210kmh, 1.3 yaris to the same, 2.0 new bmw 320 to 220kmh, a modified golf 1.8T to 250kmh and many others to similar speeds. best one was a merc s500 to around 300ish kmh.

all on my mates private little circuit in Bahrain :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

a mate of mine managed to flip his 2.0 fiat 132 doing 90kmh and another one flipped his brand spanking new pug 307 at about 80kmh, so speed is not always the culprit.

however talking safety with you lot, its not speeding thats the problem in the uk, its the general public's lack of skill and competence in driving. i have had many many close encounters at speeds less than 60mph thanks to people who cannot drive properly, mainly women, and i know that may be offensive or sexist or whatever, but its the truth.

how many accidents are caused by women? most of the time they're not involved, but they are the CAUSE of the accident.

rant over, back to Bahrain :devil:

its not speeding thats the problem in the uk, its the general public's lack of skill and competence in driving.

Yeah like your attempted handbrake turn that went wrong at brooklands last year :worship: Ooo errrr:eek:

however talking safety with you lot, its not speeding thats the problem in the uk, its the general public's lack of skill and competence in driving. i have had many many close encounters at speeds less than 60mph thanks to people who cannot drive properly, mainly women, and i know that may be offensive or sexist or whatever, but its the truth.

how many accidents are caused by women? most of the time they're not involved, but they are the CAUSE of the accident.

rant over, back to Bahrain :devil:

the truth is harsh,
saving my speeding for my motorcycle riding (2007 yamaha R1 only had it up to 170mph then me bottle went) with over ten years on two wheels i have been knocked off twice, both where women drivers.

the truth is harsh,
Speed doesn't kill literally of course (like they thought it might a century or so ago when going over 60mph :)) but there's no question that there's a much higher chance of getting hurt (or someone else getting hurt) when traveling at high speed.

Take a blow-out at 60mph compared to 120mph :eek: Good chance of surviving at 60 but at 120 then best start praying :(

It's all in the physics really. A car (or bike) has 4 times the amount of energy at 120 as it did at 60 and it's that energy that does the harm.

It's like in the TV add; hit someone at 30 then there's a fair chance they'll service; hit them at 40 and you'll kill them :cry:

Speed doesn't kill literally of course (like they thought it might a century or so ago when going over 60mph :)) but there's no question that there's a much higher chance of getting hurt (or someone else getting hurt) when traveling at high speed.

Take a blow-out at 60mph compared to 120mph :eek: Good chance of surviving at 60 but at 120 then best start praying :(

It's all in the physics really. A car (or bike) has 4 times the amount of energy at 120 as it did at 60 and it's that energy that does the harm.

It's like in the TV add; hit someone at 30 then there's a fair chance they'll service; hit them at 40 and you'll kill them :cry:

we have this debate all the time speed dosnt kill its the driver/riders skill or lack of it that causes deaths. i keep my speeding confined to track days :devil:doing these speeds with all the bad drivers on the road is crazy.
OzMoSiS was right tho women are bad drivers

Last edited:
well as for my 1600 stilo un-modded i can take most porcher drivers on out here in the countryside and win they come up to a hard bend and brake or slide i just go with it and my bright yellow stilo sails away with badly worn rubber bushes! replacing them this week!!! and as for a clear run i can get my stilo up to 120! but thats really milking it!!!

as for most cars its us stilo drivers thats the big thing! its not the car its the driver!

Back