Technical Steering wheel “klonks” at still stand.

Currently reading:
Technical Steering wheel “klonks” at still stand.

Razz

The steering wheel in the car has begun making a “hammer like noise” and shaking when I try to turn the wheel at still stand. If I turn the steering wheel quickly from side to side, there seems to bee little effect. Though if I turn it slowly I can find numerous points, where I get a “buzz like” sound and the steering gets all shaky. It feels like somebody is electrocuting the steering wheel.

There seems to be no difference whether I have it in CITY mode or not.

When I am driving there seems to be no or very little signs in the steering wheel.

PS. I have changed the top mounts on the front suspension, in both sides. Did not help. :confused:

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Razz

See if giving the battery a good overnight charge helps, the steering is very current greedy & has more work to do when the road wheels are not rotating, in your climate, if the car is more than 4 - 5 years old the battery may be in decline.

Allright - I'll try that. :)

It is a 2006 model with 46.500 miles on the clock. Still holding the original battery.

I'll let you know if it fixed the problem - would be nice. :eek:

Regards.

That work is rather expensive....
But I think until you also get the "Power Steering failure" message and start loosing power steering from time to time you are on the safe side...

It's still faulty, it's just that the system hasn't recognised the problem yet.

If you've experienced the fault, you'd know it feels unnerving, especially as the power assistance is uneven in different directions. Plus I've known the faulty sensor to cause the wheel to whip fully round to one direction by itself.

Sorry for the late responds.

Solved the problem - and yes it was expensive.

It was as DannyBoy said; a steering torque sensor problem. We hoped that it was the electrical engine for the power steering, since we would be able to replace that without having to replace the complete powersteering. But no such luck!!

We had to replace the whole damm thing. 1500 € :bang:

Even so the "city" mode does not function as well as the original. They tell me they have calibrated the steering, and it should be the same. But it not...

So all in all - very expensive and unsatisfying result. :mad:

//Razz

Back