Technical Steering play

Currently reading:
Technical Steering play

Hi, ahead of MOT I'm chasing up an advisory on my 1.1 Eco, which states N/S steering rack end 'requires investigation'.
With track rod end off, there's no detectable play in the drumstick, although I appreciate the MOT test does this on a swivel under load.
What I did find was that the opposite, O/S track rod end didn't require a splitter to release - the bit of tightness in the nut broke free what was a pretty loose interference fit.
Both track rod end nuts required very little torque to undo - was wondering if anyone had experienced similar, or could suggest another approach?

If the O/S is that loose, the 'ultimate' solution would be a new/old swivel hub and new track rod end, which I would like to avoid.

I've done everything up tight and with lots of vigorous shaking I cannot detect anything.

all the best
Sfrontato

Inner
Or
Outer

N/S steering rack end

requires investigation

Is very vague

Does not say play in or worn but not excessive

I normally ask the tester before leaving if there is anything that actually needs replacing

Often advisories are subjective, I have driven years without changing and then it's been test by someone else and it's been taken off

Obviously you don't want to drive with anything in a dangerous condition

Last edited:
Inner
Or
Outer

N/S steering rack end

requires investigation

Is very vague

Does not say play in or worn but not excessive

I normally ask the tester before leaving if there is anything that actually needs replacing

Often advisories are subjective, I have driven years without changing and then it's been test by someone else and it's been taken off

Obviously you don't want to drive with anything in a dangerous condition
Thanks Koalar

Yes, vague! I do have a new drumstick, but stopped replacement when with the track rod end free from the hub, there was absolutely nothing to detect (to the point where the car was rocking slightly). It was implied at the last test that it was the inner rack joint.

I have a good relationship with the guys that always do the test on the car, so I'm minded to let it go through the test in the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

Thanks Koalar

Yes, vague! I do have a new drumstick, but stopped replacement when with the track rod end free from the hub, there was absolutely nothing to detect (to the point where the car was rocking slightly). It was implied at the last test that it was the inner rack joint.

I have a good relationship with the guys that always do the test on the car, so I'm minded to let it go through the test in the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
I think that's what I would do

Just clean everything up and torque to spec

Helps if you have a helper to rock the steering wheel from side to side while the wheels are on the ground

If you put your hand on each joint you should feel even the slightest play

But I not sure what needs investigation means, more like they seen some odd but not play

Last edited:
I replaced the inner and outer track rods one one of my Pandas. Near side outer was worn. I think the inners were fine, but as I now had them, decided to replace anyway.

As you're friendly with this garage I'd be asking them to tell you exactly what they mean. It's very likely that the ball joint on the inner end of the "drumstick" is what they are talking about. Although less likely, from your description, it just might be that they are meaning play is detected between the rack itself and the bushing it slides in at that end of the rack housing - which is often wear which develops slowly so might account for why it passed again this year? Just suggesting this because if the play is in the rack bushing itself then that will eventually mean the fitting of a replacement rack which will come with new drumsticks (track rods) on both ends.

As you're friendly with this garage I'd be asking them to tell you exactly what they mean. It's very likely that the ball joint on the inner end of the "drumstick" is what they are talking about. Although less likely, from your description, it just might be that they are meaning play is detected between the rack itself and the bushing it slides in at that end of the rack housing - which is often wear which develops slowly so might account for why it passed again this year? Just suggesting this because if the play is in the rack bushing itself then that will eventually mean the fitting of a replacement rack which will come with new drumsticks (track rods) on both ends.
Thanks Puggit - will do. I would rather do this job once (even if recon rack required), rather than faff about. It's a keeper (sunk cost fallacy?).

Back