Technical Steering Lock Fail. How Do I Fix It?

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Lock Fail. How Do I Fix It?

Wackyracer

My 1.4 8V Active Sport steering lock has decided to stop working, and after seeing how much the garage cost to just "have a gander for 20minutes" (aka have lunch) im not taking it there. Its only 4 years old. and only just out of warranty

It started to be intermittent and then one day it just refused to come on. no matter how much i turn the steering wheel the lock will not engage. Ive tried wriggling the key around and turning it fast, slow, firm, smooth.etc but cant seem to get it to work.

From what ive found out ive more than likely damaged the pin so would probably be looking at replacing the whole thing. Has anyone done this before and if so how did you find it.
Or has any one got any other ideas as to what could be causing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

The first few Grande's had faulty steering locks, partly caused by the securing bracket being fitted incorrectly, but that was nearly 5 years ago now so it's unlikely to be the same fault (unless you've recently had any work done in that area that would've meant removing/refitting it... new PAS column maybe?).

Just a random thought, but does it work if you alter the steering reach?

I dont have the choice to bring the steering wheel closer (if thats what your refering to) but i have tried altering the up and down motion, which also didnt help any matters. As for any work carried out, it has 2 recalls in early 2007 which the previous owner had sorted.

I heard that it is possible to buy a new steering lock and carry on using my current key and lock barrel? Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the barrels from my broken steering lock to a new lock?

Cheers

I dont have the choice to bring the steering wheel closer (if thats what your refering to) but i have tried altering the up and down motion, which also didnt help any matters. As for any work carried out, it has 2 recalls in early 2007 which the previous owner had sorted.

I heard that it is possible to buy a new steering lock and carry on using my current key and lock barrel? Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the barrels from my broken steering lock to a new lock?

Cheers

:confused: All UK models have rake and reach adjustment? Release the lever and you can raise/lower or pull the wheel closer.

A new steering lock comes without the barrel, you just pull the original one out and push it into the new one. It's just a mechanical lock, it has nothing to do with the imobiliser. You'll need two new shear bolts after you've had the fun of removing the old ones.

Did you manage to fix this at all?

Seems mine has gone, Danny as your knowledgeable would a 58 plate AGP have the issues you mentioned earlier in this thread?

How difficult and expensive is this to fix?

Cheers,

Tom

No, like I said it was over 5 years ago when Fiat identified an issue in production and corrected it.

Steering locks aren't common failure points TBH, unless someone's tried to nick the car while breaking the steering lock?

It's a relatively simple job to do yourself- just a matter of removing the lower steering shroud and chiselling off the shear bolts.

i was planning on getting mine done before its MOT but i havnt been able to find any replacements online, ( i must be searching the wrong things) and have yet to ask for the price from my local fiat dealer which im expecting to be alot.

If its as straightforward as mentioned then with any luck i can get it sorted asap. I'll pop into fiat later and see how much they can get the parts for and let you know tom

My 1.4 8V Active Sport steering lock has decided to stop working, and after seeing how much the garage cost to just "have a gander for 20minutes" (aka have lunch) im not taking it there. Its only 4 years old. and only just out of warranty

It started to be intermittent and then one day it just refused to come on. no matter how much i turn the steering wheel the lock will not engage. Ive tried wriggling the key around and turning it fast, slow, firm, smooth.etc but cant seem to get it to work.

From what ive found out ive more than likely damaged the pin so would probably be looking at replacing the whole thing. Has anyone done this before and if so how did you find it.
Or has any one got any other ideas as to what could be causing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steering lock only works with key out, turn wheel and should engage

Steering lock only works with key out, turn wheel and should engage

Beleive me ive tried, mate reckons pin must be stuck or possibly snapped/bent etc. either way we've tried everything at my work and cant get it working again.

Garage was closed when i got there so with any luck will find out the price of a new lock tomorrow. fingers crossed.

Just came off the phone with my fiat garage and they quoted me near enough £140 for a new steering lock or ignition switch i think they called it and 2 near shear pins.

Think i'll continue browsing ebay lol

Tbh thats not terrible, I was expecting much much worse lol. Like oh Sir we will have to replace the whole car for you sort of talk

lol yer same tbh, they dont seem to be too bad but im going to pop down the scrap yard and see if i can find any locks intact to replace it with, from what ive heard its pretty simple to fit its just removing everything to get to it where the problems arise.

Ha. Well maybe i need to give that ago. I did notice the steering lock was on when i picked it up after its MOT. So the pin is still there. Always good news. Hopefully mine will resolve itself.

Back