Styling Steel Wheels to Alloys

Currently reading:
Styling Steel Wheels to Alloys

TrackyG3000

can any one help or advise?

first: is changing from steel to alloy just an undo and put new on then tighten?
second: im on standard steel, how big would be best to upgrade to? i like the sound of 17"
third: will the car look like an off roader with bigger wheels and no lowering?
forth: what size of wheels would allow to look good without it needing to be lowered? (due to insurance policy, allows alloys without telling them but lower it then theres the problem)
thanks all :)

can any one help or advise?

first: is changing from steel to alloy just an undo and put new on then tighten?
second: im on standard steel, how big would be best to upgrade to? i like the sound of 17"
third: will the car look like an off roader with bigger wheels and no lowering?
forth: what size of wheels would allow to look good without it needing to be lowered? (due to insurance policy, allows alloys without telling them but lower it then theres the problem)
thanks all :)

First - as long as you have the correct PCD and off set on the wheels its just a bolt on job up to 17s but you might need a spacer for 18s. If you use a 4x100 pcd then you will need wobbly bolts which should be supplied with the wheels.
I got 17s on mine and the arches still looks like if could take a bigger wheel and they will to but I'm happy as I can hop over speed bumps easily as it is now :slayer: if I lowered it then it will scrape here and there as it did before I fitted new standard springs on (n) . you normally have to inform your insurance if you fit larger after market wheels so you better check on that just to make sure your insurance is valid :)

Thanks for the info, luckly my insurer will only bother it the alloys are over £1000 il read the small print later when i have a few hours spare, but on first glance its the price they are bothered with or if its lowered, which is why i dont want to lower it :eek:P. now to find some alloys though would love to find a preview sight that u can swap alloys around on a stilo. love multi spokes want to preview some black alloys 2

oh and what does 205/40/17 mean, such an amature am i :p

Last edited:
Ahhh,ok thats cool, one more thing, will bigger wheels effect the speedometer due to circumference of the tyres being different? and can anything be done? ta, all this advice is very uselful by the way. thanks

Ahhh,ok thats cool, one more thing, will bigger wheels effect the speedometer due to circumference of the tyres being different? and can anything be done? ta, all this advice is very uselful by the way. thanks

You will need to fit a tyre that when fitted to the 17" wheels will give you the same or near rolling radius of the original wheels/tyres 215/45/17 is very near but 225/45/17 is the identical rolling radius as the originals but you will have to check that the 225s dont rub anything on the inside I have the 215s fitted and they dont rub and at 70mph the speed you are actually doing is 69mph (y)

Ok Matt just to put the record straight here :)
Stilo standard wheel and tyre is 195/65/15and if you go to a 17" wheel and use a 215/45 tyre the difference in Rr is317.25mm on the 15" to 312.65mm on the 17" tyre and the circumference of the 15" is 1993.34mm compared to 1964.44mm of the 17" tyre leading to a -28.9mm difference in circumference and a speedo reading of 68.99mph now if we use the 225/45/17 tyre the speedo reading is 69.98mph (y)
all that's quite taken it out of me so I now need to recharge my brain and its all your fault :p

so then just to make me understand more,say we have a gps unit and its reading 70 which should be correct speed, in general the speedo on the dash with 17" will be around 1 mile higher than with the standard 15s? or am i way out :s

oh and also how safe is it going through a speed cam with 17" on and not going over the limit? or is that one reason why speedos are out buy a bit of mph?

so then just to make me understand more,say we have a gps unit and its reading 70 which should be correct speed, in general the speedo on the dash with 17" will be around 1 mile higher than with the standard 15s? or am i way out :s

GPS will be the correct reading speedo's are never usually accurate what I have quoted is a typical reading given by many tyre companies that give you a radius checker Rochford tyres are just one of those sites that do this ..basicaly what I have told you is that ..if you fitted a 215/45/17 on your car then at 70mph[speedo reading] your car would be doing roughly 69mph and when you fit the 225/45/17 tyre the car would be doing the same mph as if you had the original 15" wheels fitted as the rolling radius is nigh on Identical of course the GPS reading and car speedo reading would differ as the GPS is more accurate .Hope that helps (y)

perfect :D thank you very much. feel happier about changing, out of interest, has anyone seen any good alloys around that they like that are arnt mega expencive?

if you were more nearer i may have made u an offer. kent isnt very close to blackpool the last time i looked, would cost more to get down there.

Srry to bring up an old thread, been looking in the classified section, there r some claw wheels just gone up and the vendor is closer than activmatt which is a shame as his alloys i think look sweet as, just wondering what people with the know how of knowing how to know about alloys thought of them. ta

Claws are :cool: go for them ..are they new or second hand ones ?

Matts old stilo wheels are not in mint condition [he would tell you that if you asked I'm sure ] (y)

Edit - just looked and £330 is a snip for them ... a very good buy

Last edited:
I have 207.40/17 on mine and im sound with em Didnt really notice any difference in speed on speedo or anything tbh

Are you sure that is the size of the tyres have a look again 205/40/17 maybe ;) and you should be using a 45 profile tyre not a 40 profile

Last edited:
Back