Technical Starting procedure for Ducato

Currently reading:
Technical Starting procedure for Ducato

Davetnyc

Hi Folks,

Have recently 'inherited' a Ducato 2006 van. First time out, the starter motor packed up. This was because the starter motor kept running once the key had been turned. By all accounts from the previous owner, the key has to be turned to AVV and then back one notch to MAR. If that isn't done, the starter motor keeps running and burns out. Confused the AA man and local mechanic who helped with the repair! Question- is a manual click back to MAR normal? In all other vehicles I've driven, it happens automatically.

Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

It ought to spring back, like in any other car.If it does not, manually turn it back a notch. If it behaves like that, a replacement switch is all that is required. Ebay for one and if poss, have a good look at the one fitted and the connections it has and compare them. You will need to swap the key blade of the new switch into the handle of the old one, as that is where the coding chip is, to reatain compatability with the immobiliser.

Then you will have 2 different keys for the locks on the car, unless the supplier of the new switch can supply one that is the same as already fitted; how they would know I don't have a clue.

Fiat might be able too, but at Fiat prices!

Don't think it's too bad of a job to change one, and doing the switchover as above you will not need to reprogram anything.

Someone will pop up on here to assist no doubt. This is THE place. for help!(y)

Last edited:
Brilliant! Thanks for that explanation, Ocwobio. Pretty much confirmed what I thought. Have to chase up a part etc now.....

Slightly off topic, but I find mine starts quickest if you turn the 'ignition' on and wait a few seconds for the fuel to pump up and the glowplugs to work before you turn the engine over.

You should wait for the dashboard self test to complete (warning lights all illuminate when first switched on and extinguish a few seconds later) before starting the engine. There is a technical bulletin about it. Firing up straight away can cause general failure warnings on the dashboard and in rare cases corruption of ECU memory.

You should wait for the dashboard self test to complete (warning lights all illuminate when first switched on and extinguish a few seconds later) before starting the engine. There is a technical bulletin about it. Firing up straight away can cause general failure warnings on the dashboard and in rare cases corruption of ECU memory.

Any chance you can refer us to this tech bulletin? It sounds like there is a weakness somewhere in the system if it needs this to be carried out. My glowplug light goes off almost instantly, and strating is instantaneous too. But am I pushing my luck? Hmmmm....!

Any chance you can refer us to this tech bulletin? It sounds like there is a weakness somewhere in the system if it needs this to be carried out. My glowplug light goes off almost instantly, and strating is instantaneous too. But am I pushing my luck? Hmmmm....!

I don't have the TSB number. I used to have a copy of keyLearn which is where I found it. Unfortunately the stick became corrupted a while back and Fiat no longer supply or replace them.

It related to X250 and X290 vans and concerns the general failure warning light illuminating and/or other warning messages or fault codes being logged which are found on examination to be spurious.

It stated that the fault warnings can be caused by switching the engine on and off several times in quick succession or by starting the engine without waiting for the dashboard warning lights to extinguish.

If no faults were actually present, the customer should be advised to wait for all of the dashboard warning lights to extinguish before starting the vehicle and the vehicle handed back without further intervention.

My handbook does state not to attempt to start the vehicle until the code and glow-plug lamps have both extinguished, but makes no other mention of the dashboard self test.

So.…..Why the do you want to start the engine a nano second after the key is in the barrel
All the cars and vans I have had borrowed or hired I always wait for the dash lights to go out
If I do start up to quick I get proxy issues and flashing mileage
The correct way with all modern vehicles is to insert and turn key to ign on, then wait for the boot up period of the systems....Just like switching on a computer because you are basically doing that...The ecu is a computer
LUIGI

Cheers, RS. I know the problems with the later ones and bad consoles- loads of grief on here about them. Fortunately, mine is a late X244 so hopefully not an issue. Sounds like an admission of guilt, and they should stump up for all yhe affected ones!:devil:

Cheers, RS. I know the problems with the later ones and bad consoles- loads of grief on here about them. Fortunately, mine is a late X244 so hopefully not an issue. Sounds like an admission of guilt, and they should stump up for all yhe affected ones!:devil:

I think it's just how modern vehicles work, not restricted to Fiats. They are a computer network on wheels. When you turn on the ignition, the ECUs all have to wake up and be checked by the system and start talking to one another. When you switch the ignition off, they perform various power down functions to prevent data loss or corruption before entering sleep mode to preserve battery power.

If you switch them on and off too quickly and interrupt them it's a bit like pressing the power button on your PC whilst it's in the middle of booting or shutting down. It probably won't work properly next time you switch it on!

Back