General Starting car from cold cranks over and over, then try again and starts fine ?

Currently reading:
General Starting car from cold cranks over and over, then try again and starts fine ?

Hi all

I have read so many people with this same issue when first starting the car, so appologies is this has been covered to death, I did search but still just want your expert experience on the matter. When I noticed when I first start my 500 POP. 1.2 petrol, (2009), the engine will crank over and over but not start as if it has a fuel starvation issue. However if I turn key back off then try again it works perfectly on the first engine crank turn !?

So what I researched is two main things:
  1. Engine oil pressure needs to build.
  2. Turn key and leave to allow fuel pump to build for few seconds.
Now interestingly, I cleared some codes and I found a lambda sensor downstream fault, so will look to change that in case the fuel ratio/air is running too rich/lean etc as its had a new entire exhaust, it could be damaged, or perhaps electrical connection but will check both.

Has the car had a replacement engine earth strap?
I believe, could be wrong, the Lambda sensor plays no part at cold start, or for the first 30 seconds or so, anyone want to chip in.
Spark plugs, are yours Iridium?
Oil pressure plays no part on the 1.2
Always good to let the fuel pump to prime, I've always done this
Our 09 car cranks really fast does yours?

When turning on the ignition its good practice to wait about 5-10 seconds for the first checks the ecu does to happen!- once complete some of the warning lights go out!( and then the fuel pump is primed as well!) then crank the engine !-sometimes if you just put the key in and crank straight away the system does not recognise the key transponder so the immobiliser is still active hence wont start!. or not enough pressure at the injector rail!.
let us know how you get on!. 👍

When turning on the ignition its good practice to wait about 5-10 seconds for the first checks the ecu does to happen!- once complete some of the warning lights go out!( and then the fuel pump is primed as well!) then crank the engine !-sometimes if you just put the key in and crank straight away the system does not recognise the key transponder so the immobiliser is still active hence wont start!. or not enough pressure at the injector rail!.
let us know how you get on!. 👍
Thanks some good info there. So I tried the car today after I picked her up at the airport as been away a week.
I turned the key so all lights on dash on, but not started engine, I held it there for about 5 secs then turned key back off, then started car as normal and she fired right up on first crank ! So looks like this is the trick, also staying away from the accelerator !
Has the car had a replacement engine earth strap?
I believe, could be wrong, the Lambda sensor plays no part at cold start, or for the first 30 seconds or so, anyone want to chip in.
Spark plugs, are yours Iridium?
Oil pressure plays no part on the 1.2
Always good to let the fuel pump to prime, I've always done this
Our 09 car cranks really fast does yours?
Great info. Interesting that the 1.2 does not have the oil pressure set up thanks. Yes the car feels strong and fast when cranking.

Next time you start her let the warning lights go out and pump stop pressurising but DONT turn back to off position! just crank normally once lights go out! let us know if it works!

I think this method is generally good practice.
A friend had a Jaguar for ages it had a warning light on, the dealer tried everything to sort it to no avail by pure chance my friend started the car with the above method all fixed, tried without waiting warning light back on

Like i said at first ! regardless of any fuel pressure issues aside, i firmly believe that waiting for the first few seconds to let the warning lights go out allows the system to do its "self diagnostics" to check all is well and then disable the immobiliser system to allow the car to start!, if you just turn the key straight away and dont allow it to do this the onboard systems think" hang on a minute!" and wont let it start!

Hi all

I have read so many people with this same issue when first starting the car, so appologies is this has been covered to death, I did search but still just want your expert experience on the matter. When I noticed when I first start my 500 POP. 1.2 petrol, (2009), the engine will crank over and over but not start as if it has a fuel starvation issue. However if I turn key back off then try again it works perfectly on the first engine crank turn !?

So what I researched is two main things:
  1. Engine oil pressure needs to build.
  2. Turn key and leave to allow fuel pump to build for few seconds.
Now interestingly, I cleared some codes and I found a lambda sensor downstream fault, so will look to change that in case the fuel ratio/air is running too rich/lean etc as its had a new entire exhaust, it could be damaged, or perhaps electrical connection but will check both.
Fiat say turn on wait for the engine check lights to go out and then start up. I dont. Our 1,2s dont like starting fisrt pull of left out side. Always instant starting when garaged. Try this before moving on.

seems strange that you have to wait for the car at first before starting, but its a small inconvenience, once it starts its fine for most of the day !

Back