Technical Starter motor?

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor?

Dayjw

My car has always started fine until a few days ago as I drove about 60 odd miles and got home. Before I even stopped the engine and exhaust sounded very lumpy.

So I turned off the engine and turned it back on, usually it starts first time but this time it made like a ticking noise a few times, then started but was lumpy and rough again for a few seconds, then it was fine.
I
had a look under it to see if the starter motor was secure and there was no rocking or anything.
Any help would be appreciated :) cheers

Things to check:
Jump lead from battery negative to engine. If it starts earth cable is loose
Jump start from another car with donor engine NOT running and old battery earth disconnected to see if starter turns This rules out any short circuits in the Punto battery.
Voltage test the generator in case it has regulator has failed and cooked the battery.

From this lot you should be able to work out if its the battery or the starter.

Things to check:
Jump lead from battery negative to engine. If it starts earth cable is loose
Jump start from another car with donor engine NOT running and old battery earth disconnected to see if starter turns This rules out any short circuits in the Punto battery.
Voltage test the generator in case it has regulator has failed and cooked the battery.

From this lot you should be able to work out if its the battery or the starter.

Thanks :) Would the battery be responsible for the rough tick-over though?

Cleaned the throttle body about a week ago, and it was fine up until I took that drive.

I've noticed that it idles just a little over 1000 or at 1000 too, and when I start it in the mornings it ticks over between 1500 and 2000 then gradually goes back down to 1000, is this normal?

That's not normal. Coincidences are rare but we like to kid ourselves. Maybe the air flow sensor got damaged when you cleaned it or there is some debris across the air flow meter. Only use carb cleaner or alcohol not WD40.

Mine needs cleaning & revs up and down gently 2 or 3 times when its started from cold but maybe 800 to 1200 at its worst.

I used a proper carb cleaner and followed its instructions, I was thinking it maybe the idle control valve, but not sure? What's normal tick-over rpm?

I think my head gasket is going too, as the temperature on the gauge got very hot the other day, I had to pull over. And it's been a bit sluggish recently too. Probably get that done soon and see if it makes any difference. Hopefully it will stop my air locks too... :/

Head gasket failure is unlikely to be a cause of coolant system failure, more of an indicator that something else has already failed. Check the rest of the system first, and then get a garage to do a sniff test to check for HG failure.

What do you mean by ticking noise?
Like a click click click then start?

Also over heating problems can cause head gasket to go and can be caused by head gasket going,
If your products of combustion are passing to the cooling side you have super heated gasses upwards of 1000oC getting into your coolant and if your loosing compression that can make it run rough, Get the header tank sniff tested and get a compression test done.
Simple test is take all the plugs out and check the colour, the cylinder passing to the cooling side will be super clean.

Back