Technical Starter motor strip

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor strip

Brobat

Hi, My better half's X19 1500 Bertone '85 50,00miles has had starting problems. (Auto choke etc but she's a dab hand at taking off the airfilter cover & closing the flap!)
Recently though it makes a grinding / whirring noise when turning over, although it then starts Ok & noise stops, so I assumed it is the starter motor. Got it off eventually (they do like to hide the bolts & Mr Haynes doesn't say or show how many - 3). Have removed solenoid & brush cover and lifted out the brushes which have plenty of meat left. I want to clean it while it's out, but can't get the armature out. The gear lever / yoke is still engaged in the pinion/ armature & won't come out. I've removed the fulcrum pin but that hasn't helped. The motor is a different one to that in Haynes so not sure where to go next.

Also, still don't know what the whirring was. When I've put the motor back together I'll try connecting to the battery & see if it makes the noise. Tried it earlier but a bit sparky as wires not thick enough so didn't leave it running long enough to hear.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Further to above: it has 9 teeth & "E9509/12" embossed. Have removed the rubber cushion to try to allow the yoke / lever to come out with the armature, but it is like a loose tooth & won't quite come out. Should the lever remove 1st via the solenoid housing or stay attached to the armature, or should the armature come out leaving the pinions etc in the housing? Thanks again.

Duhhh! Went to chat to a proper engineer up the road. After a short ponder he asked "what's holding the main body with the field windings onto the pinion end casting?" Answer: nothing, so a gentle tap with a soft mallet & hey presto, all is revealed. Now to clean it up (doesn't look too dirty) and then reassemble.
Then test to try to discover what the rasping noise is on turning over.
Ho hum.

Back