Technical Squeaky font brakes and grinding drums

Currently reading:
Technical Squeaky font brakes and grinding drums

Hello

Recently my front discs have started to squeak quite frequently when braking, I'm assuming this is a sign to replace the pads and discs? Unless it's a sign of something else please enlighten me

And my rear drums sound asif they are grinding when braking, same again but needing to replace the shoes and drum?

From what I know none of these parts have been replaced and are still the original parts, also I only started to notice the noises since its become warmer

Any help would be great

Cheers

John

Hi mate

Sounds like your discs might be slightly warped, either that or the discs have become so grooved in that they need replacing. They aren't expensive and only takes half hour to do so easy job.

The grinding you mention might just be the handbrake cable grinding against the wheels rather than the drums/shoes themselves, I had a similair problem. Dependant on the model of your car (wasn't mentioned in original post) you can access the cable adjustment just behind and underneath handbrake.

Best of luck.

The front's id inspect brake discs.
both sides of the disc..any pitting or sighn of warp buy new and bin them

front pad's replace anyway.. EBC are good and are very cheap
this is what iuse on the front's.

Rear's. get drums off and inspect thickness of shoes'. if good
clean and adjust,. check inside of drum too they might be rusty/pitted

Sorry I left that bit out, but it is in my Sig, 2000 1.2 16v elx

I have watched the video on punto how to to replace the discs and it looks easy, I'm just waiting for Eurocarparts to finish there Easter promotion so I can use a 30% off all the bits I need (Bosch discs and pads) as at the moment it works out more expensive :(

Sorry I left that bit out, but it is in my Sig, 2000 1.2 16v elx

I have watched the video on punto how to to replace the discs and it looks easy, I'm just waiting for Eurocarparts to finish there Easter promotion so I can use a 30% off all the bits I need (Bosch discs and pads) as at the moment it works out more expensive :(

Why Bosch?

ihad Bosch shoes on,they lasted 12mth's..they wasnt totaly gone but got to stage where handbrake cable needed tightening this year.
so this year., Pagid went on..upto now theyre good. these where peanuts from euro,

the fronts is where iput the good stuff. :)

Thanks guys, I have ordered pagid discs and pads but forgot to add brake cleaner to my basket!

My local euro only had the pads and no discs so I'll have to wait for them to arrive :(

I have this week off to tinker with my car anyway so hopefully nothing will go wrong

Once again, thanks and I'll inspect my drums asap

front pads might just be caused by harmonic frequencies being caused by pads shimming in which case a clean and a regrease is all thats needed
rears might just be dust build up in the drum

this is why i never order anything until i know what i need but just keep pads on the shelf

The brakes on my car (1.3 diesel) are different to the brakes on yours so my video will give you a general guide but it's not 100% the same. All modern brakes are fairly easy to replace so it shouldn't be too much hassle for you

To be honest if you don't know when things have been changed you might as well buy the parts at least then when checking them you can change anything that needs it and return anything that doesn't (this is what I do) I don't bother with euro car parts they never have anything in stock I need, I found Gsf always has a healthy stock of punto bits or can have them in the next day for a fast cheap over counter service, so I always shop there now

Last edited:
The brakes on my car (1.3 diesel) are different to the brakes on yours so my video will give you a general guide but it's not 100% the same. All modern brakes are fairly easy to replace so it shouldn't be too much hassle for you

To be honest if you don't know when things have been changed you might as well buy the parts at least then when checking them you can change anything that needs it and return anything that doesn't (this is what I do) I don't bother with euro car parts they never have anything in stock I need, I found Gsf always has a healthy stock of punto bits or can have them in the next day for a fast cheap over counter service, so I always shop there now

(I don't bother with euro car parts they never have anything in stock I need,)

ihad this problem buying off line.
try instore you will get abetter result for parts..if not there they will ship it over in the white van from another branch.

online buying from these is waste o time only anygood for click & reserve to get the discount.. (y)

(I don't bother with euro car parts they never have anything in stock I need,)

ihad this problem buying off line.
try instore you will get abetter result for parts..if not there they will ship it over in the white van from another branch.

online buying from these is waste o time only anygood for click & reserve to get the discount.. (y)

I generally never buy from anywhere online

I went into Euro earlier this month with a big list of bits I wanted, and after the 5th item on my list they didn't have in stock I told em to stick it. drove a mile down the road to GSF and they had all but one thing which they delivered FOC the following day

I generally never buy from anywhere online

I went into Euro earlier this month with a big list of bits I wanted, and after the 5th item on my list they didn't have in stock I told em to stick it. drove a mile down the road to GSF and they had all but one thing which they delivered FOC the following day

ah rite,

at first ifound euro car parts pathetic,
but after going in and buying its not too bad.. for eg ive been paying 20 quid or so for o.a.t antifreeze at halfords etc.. its only 8 quid in there.
so this place save's people good coin.

ive not had any parts handed to me that dont fit unlike local motorfactor's
so iwill gives them 7 out of 10 on the score board. :D

Morning, i have noticed that i have had to start pressing the brake harder then i normally would to come to a steady stop so i think they need replacing anyway

My GF is all "omg your going to kill us" she has little to no faith in my skills -.-

I would take the wheels of and inspect them very soon - today. You don't know what disaster could be there waiting to happen. You could have undersize discs and worn pads. This is a highly dangerous combination as a worn out pad can get out between the caliper and the disc and lock the wheel which is not funny. Bear in mind that just because the outer pad looks good that does not mean the inner one is. At the risk of sounding like someone's granny, you've had plenty of warning and could be close to the edge.

I would take the wheels of and inspect them very soon - today. You don't know what disaster could be there waiting to happen. You could have undersize discs and worn pads. This is a highly dangerous combination as a worn out pad can get out between the caliper and the disc and lock the wheel which is not funny. Bear in mind that just because the outer pad looks good that does not mean the inner one is. At the risk of sounding like someone's granny, you've had plenty of warning and could be close to the edge.

I have a similar problem with my drums I'm assuming it's because there's no pads left but have not inspected them yet as not had the time but when I brake I hear a really loud clicking noise from the rear but when I drive it stops and makes a metallic noise as if the brakes are sticking, I'm planning on replacing drums and shoes anyway but want to see what you all think

Back