General Squeaky cambelt

Currently reading:
General Squeaky cambelt

Hello all,
What can be done about a squeaky cambelt on a 999cc FIRE engine? It's worse when the engine is hot.

I've tried reducing the tension, which didn't seem to make a difference.

Is it worth spraying the belt with a belt dressing? Note: this is of course a toothed belt, so it's not a slipping problem!

I suppose a new cambelt will be the only real solution, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,
-Alex

It might be the tensioner. When the engine block and top heats up, they expand, making the cam-belt tighter. And hence a tighter tensioner. It is a ball bearing, like a hub bearing and is bought as a kit. Rather cheap as well. Have replaced one myself from SKF. Do NOT wait until it cracks!

Morten.

Is it the tensioner bearing that is squeaking? I don't see how the belt could be squeaking if it is not slipping.

If so, get a replacement before it fails entirely. It might not destroy the engine if the belt breaks, but you don't want to be stranded.

A new belt/tensioner will be about £40.

Thanks for the replies... it's the actual belt that's squeaking, as it goes around the pulleys. Think of the sound of rubbing a balloon... it's like that.

I'm wondering if it's caused by the pulleys having rusted somewhat with the engine not being used. Or maybe the belt material has dried out. Perhaps it will enjoy a good soaking of 'Armor All'... ;-)

-Alex

Hi All,

My first post!

Soon after my 999 FIRE engines cam belt was replaced (and a tune for £80 total) my 93’ Uno (START) developed a similar problem: Screaming monkey sound coming from engine, starting at and tracking higher revs – worse when hot.

When I took it back they told me it was the belt tensioner that had collapsed(?) and needed replacing. I figured I may as well have another cam belt as it had been progressively getting worse over a couple of weeks. They did the work and after a little friendly haggling discounted £20 from the £66 Bill.

I asked the guy who sold me the car. His garage has been told by FIAT to always replace the tensioner when doing the cam (pity they are so far away).Can’t complain as its been ok since.

Oh and the tensioner has no groves for the belts teeth to grip (looking at the smooth old one), and it was squeeking after a new belt was fitted. I ‘m not an expert, but hope this helps.

Back