Technical Squeaking coming from front wheel..

Currently reading:
Technical Squeaking coming from front wheel..

Hi all,
I've noticed recently that my offside (driver side) front wheel is squeaking. It doesn't do a constant squeak, its more of a periodic squeak, getting more frequent as the speed increases. When I turn left it makes it the squeak louder and more permanent.

I've heard that it could be either brake pads wearing, which ouldnt surprise me.. (I've have noticed my brakes aren't that great) or a more serious problem of wheel bearings...

Anyone got any ideas?

Rhys

Last edited:
brakes

its for mk1 but its exactly the same on mk2

also i wouldnt recommend changing rear brake cylinders unless they are leaking, cuz when you will be unscrewing it there is high chance that metal brake pipe will get destroyed and thats where the fun begins

Last edited:
Quite hard to tell really, could be something rubbing, worn pads, wheel bearings tend to make more of a droning noise from my experience rather than squeaking, but wouldn't rule anything out..

Best way to check is to get the front wheel off and visually check it out yourself..in fact jack it up and try to spin that wheel first before removing it, see if it's dragging or if you can re-create the noise..then move from there

hi
its usually the backing plate on your disc
scrabble under the front of your car and see if the tin plate is touching your disc
bend back slightly if it is

be careful bending that backing plate...did it once and small piece of it came off! :eek::D its very flimsy and delicate so bend it gently...no pun intended :rolleyes:

I have a constant squeal - i'd suspect its the fact the chamfer is missing off the pad due to wear

You can add a small one back on to cure it along with brake grease/copper grease on the friction spots and where
Piston meets pad
Where pad meets caliper support

Ziggy

:eek:

Attachments

• mot horror .jpg
    mot horror .jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 164
hi end drivers often are more idiotic to start with....

Thats 1 damaged disc

Thats now 2x new discs and pads :) So great job spreading the wear

Dont you just wish - people who dont know what there doing didnt do it...

Ziggy

seen it myself
it was a private hire car, he came in saturday morning saying brakes squealing
he had hammered the pads in too
so nothing changes really
people just get more stupid i think

I think it might be brake pads that are going.. As I said before, the brakes aren't that great and whenever I put my foot on the brake while the noise is happening it stops. Does this mean that the brakes are wearing?

Rhys

If it squeal while driving but stops under braking its 1 of a few things that i can think of

A - The caliper slider is sticking, so the pad isn't fully retracting as it should and just touching causing the squeal
B - The Pads friction spots / sliders are gunked up causing the pad to be sticking and not retracting that fraction it should do
C - the piston caliper / seal isn't able to pull piston back properly
D - The chafer on the pads has worn away, as it should, sometimes you need to add one back on to remove the squeal, im suffering on the drive side on mine
as i know my chamfer has worn off, but its chewed the edge a lil causing a rough spot, hence a little bur is making it squeal like a lil piggy :)

ziggy

As my first call I'm going to change the brake pads. They're only cheap so its not too much of a problem, I can even change them myself!

Rhys
i would advise cheap pads then like euro sell at under a £10 as these will bed into your used discs nicely(y)
buy quality and your pedal will be non existant
remove r pins and clean locating pins before using a drift to remove them so you dont knock a lug off the caliport:D

i would advise cheap pads then like euro sell at under a £10 as these will bed into your used discs nicely(y)
buy quality and your pedal will be non existant
remove r pins and clean locating pins before using a drift to remove them so you dont knock a lug off the caliport:D
Thats exactly what I was planning! Cheap ones all the way! I'll take you advice on board, thanks!

Rhys

Back