Technical Space saver suitability

Currently reading:
Technical Space saver suitability

MadAlicesDad

My mother in law has just bought a 70 plate 500X and of course it has no spare wheel.
I have a 16" space saver from a Saab 93
Question: will it fit?

From wheel-size.com, the standard Saab wheel is 7Jx17 ET41 fitted with M12 bolts. It has 5x110mm hole pattern, 65.1mm bore and offset 39-43mm. The rolling diameter of the full size tyre (225/50R17) is 658mm. The rolling diameter of the 125/85 R16 space saver tyre is 618mm, 40mm smaller..
The Fiat has 7Jx18 ET40 wheels as standard, also fitted with M12 bolts. They also have 5x110mm hole pattern, 65.1mm bore but offset is 38-42mm. The 225/45R18 tyres have a rolling radius of 659mm, just 1mm larger than the Saab.

Assuming that it fits over the brake caliper, is this space saver suitable for the Fiat?

If the centre bore is the same and the PCD is the same, the space saver will fit. The actual size of the space-saver isn't critical, as the suspension will adapt.. and if the space-saver replaced the practically identical Saab wheel, then it's probably got the correct (+/-) offset. I've only got a regular sized spare but it'll be interesting if someone has a Fiat Space Saver, to see what size that is...

Ralf S.

Thanks for this. In the event we decided against it. There's no wheel well in the boot and Mum in law does less than 1k miles per year. If there is a puncture she isn't going to change it herself and is unlikely to be far from home so recovery is not a problem.
I still might try and see if it fits though 😁

Back