Technical Space saver sizes

Currently reading:
Technical Space saver sizes

Dobcrosser

Hello! I would like to buy a space saver spare wheel for my 2019 500x which is on 18” alloys.

I can only see 17” space savers (biggest) for sale. Can I use 17” ? Wouldn’t it damage the diff?
If not where do I get an 18” space saver?

Cheers folks.

Dobcrosser

Last edited:
Hello! I would like to buy a space saver spare wheel for my 2019 500x which is on 18” alloys.

I can only see 17” space savers (biggest) for sale. Can I use 17” ? Wouldn’t it damage the diff?
If not where do I get an 18” space saver?

Cheers folks.

Dobcrosser
I believe it is the "rolling circumference" that is the critical thing.
Space saver wheels are always much skinnier than normal road wheels which is why they have a lower speed recommendation.
So even with a smaller diameter providing the profile of the tyre is larger to give the same overall circumference then all should be fine.

On my 500X 2015 the supplied space saver is:

Space-saver wheel (where provided) Rim: 16 x 4.0Tyre: T145/90 R16 106M

1697733320744.png

@Dobcrosser I'm looking for the same having just pulled a screw out of our tyre and having had the car out of action for 4 days while we got it sorted. We've got one of those useless cans of slime and a feeble compressor in the boot.
Let me know if/where you find one, we've also got 2019 car but with 17" wheels. Ideally I'd like to get space saver and tool kit/jack/polystyrene insert thingy. If anyone knows where to get these please let me know 🙏👍

Last edited:
@Dobcrosser I'm looking for the same having just pulled a screw out of our tyre and having had the car out of action for 4 days while we got it sorted. We've got one of those useless cans of slime and a feeble compressor in the boot.
Let me know if/where you find one, we've also got 2019 car but with 17" wheels. Ideally I'd like to get space saver and tool kit/jack/polystyrene insert thingy. If anyone knows where to get these please let me know 🙏👍
My 500X 2015 came with the space saver as already mentioned.

I've removed (but am keeping) the shaped polystyrene insert as it is really a waste of space. It is bulky and to enclosed storage area is small. Once remove you have much more under floor/partion space.

Where do the jack and tool kit go in that case, in a bit of polystyrene that inserts into the spare wheel?
Sounds like the other bits of polystyrene are waste of space?

Last edited:
Where do the jack and tool kit go in that case, in a bit of polystyrene that inserts into the spare wheel?
Sounds like the other bits of polystyrene are waste of space?
The Jack & Toolkit reside on the RHS/Driver's side in a rectangular bag as veiwed from the rear. The polystyrene "block" is/was on the LHS/Near Side.

The only consideration I could give this polystyrene block/insert is that it would help support really heavy loads on the boot divider panel. That said on my 500X has this divider floor panel is of some 15mm+ thickness and made of stiff board material.

It is possible that other 500X models cames with thinner divider panels or possibly only thinish carpet material.

Back