Styling smooth wiper hole insurance

Currently reading:
Styling smooth wiper hole insurance

An insurance policy is a contract between two parties. Whilst a contract that is of itself illegal ( thou shalt fit spikes to the front bumper),may be held to be not binding there is nothing requiring that all clauses in a binding contract be also legal requirements. For example a valid contact of insurance could require all drivers of the car to wear pink socks ( silly but exaggerated to make a point). If the stakes are high enough, serious injury, the insurance company could refuse to pay all or some money if the driver wasn't fully compliant with the pink sock rule - although all hell would probably break loose for something as silly as that.
Generally insurers require that you tell them everything if only to protect yourself and your victim.
Underwriting is a strange world - my first bike policy covered me from animals falling from aeroplanes except horses:shrug:

An insurance policy is a contract between two parties. Whilst a contract that is of itself illegal ( thou shalt fit spikes to the front bumper),may be held to be not binding there is nothing requiring that all clauses in a binding contract be also legal requirements. For example a valid contact of insurance could require all drivers of the car to wear pink socks ( silly but exaggerated to make a point). If the stakes are high enough, serious injury, the insurance company could refuse to pay all or some money if the driver wasn't fully compliant with the pink sock rule - although all hell would probably break loose for something as silly as that.
Generally insurers require that you tell them everything if only to protect yourself and your victim.
Underwriting is a strange world - my first bike policy covered me from animals falling from aeroplanes except horses:shrug:

It is a grey area of regulations
But lets remember that there is a difference between LEGAL and LAWFULL
also most of this "contracts" dont go by LAWS but by ACTS which are not COMMON LAWS and uk is a COMMON LAW COUNTRY
so when insurance tries to scare you does not mean that they are right and they can loose big time when going to the right autorities (happened to me many times)

This is getting ridiclous now everyon

I've got to agree: but probably not for the reasons turbo_pib liked your post. :shakehead:

I don't understand how one person can argue against the collectively- and hard-earned wisdom of the people on here; especially when one of them -- Most Easterly Pandas -- works in the blummin' industry.... :(

Anyone care to argue about the collected works of Sir Edward Elgar with me...? There's very little I don't (think I) know about him/them.... :cool:

also most of this "contracts" dont go by LAWS but by ACTS which are not COMMON LAWS

and there was me thinking contracts were based upon contract law and not contract acts.

Well if not LEGALLY binding then I suppose any insurance company can tell you to do one when every they just decide they don't want to payout - but as we know this isn't something they can LEGALLY do. How's its if it's all governed by ACTs then :confused:

I've got to agree: but probably not for the reasons turbo_pib liked your post. :shakehead:

I don't understand how one person can argue against the collectively- and hard-earned wisdom of the people on here; especially when one of them -- Most Easterly Pandas -- works in the blummin' industry.... :(

Anyone care to argue about the collected works of Sir Edward Elgar with me...? There's very little I don't (think I) know about him/them.... :cool:

I find this very disturbing
This is a forum were we all exchange our opinions and if you look at the thread properly you will find that i said that it was getting ridicolous much before anyone else
So i dont have any wisdom to share?? Is ok to be called stupid??
Just because you work in a certain industry does not mean you know it all
And with this i end it as is now getting utterly ridicolous and offensive
I wonder where the moderators are!!

No-one said you didn't have any wisdom to share, but if it's still incorrect you can't expect someone to just drop it and let it possibly cause serious consequence to someone else.

I said you comment was becomming stupid because it was, it had lack of reason or sense.

Not sure what your finding offensive, sorry if you are finding this offensive, but am surprised if you are.

In response to asking where the Mod's are, if you want to raise their attention to something feel free to hit the report button.

I wonder where the moderators are!!

Laughing at your stupidity, now be a grown up for the sake of sanity and drop it!
Your like a little school kid fighting over a stick, if someone doesn't call you stupid I certainly will if you carry on. The OP of this topic was asking a simple question about smoothing a wiper hole not for a full blown childish argument on insurance acts and laws! Have some respect for people on this forum that know what they are talking about, no one likes a cocky git these days and you sir are one!

That's all I have to say.

Last edited:
What happened here, I was gone for a few hours and now I have no idea what is or isn't going on, common law, contract law, acts of parlimemt (which are laws by the way) all of it is irrelevant, if your insurance policy states that you must inform them of any alterations or modifications that you make to your car and you don't tell them, then any insurance company can on finding out cancel your policy. You have broken the terms of the contract and as such the company has the right to terminate that contract, that applies in contract law any appeals to this is covered under case law under common law (what the hell is common law? It's the entirety of the uk legal system made up of many components we usually shorten it to just 'Law') anyway why are we talking about law its a bout removing the rear wiper motor and arm?

Its not illegal to remove the wiper put a sticker on the back window or put tin foil on your head to prevent aliens reading your thoughts do what you like, but for the former if your insurance policy says you have to inform then you have to inform removing the rear wiper on a mk2 punto you need to tell the insurance co, they might not charge more they might not give a crap but they have a right to know as they underwrite your insurance policy.
Same applies to stickers where do you draw the line between a sticker and graphics? What you call a sticker someone else would a call a graphic and I would rather if I'd spent money on graphics that they are covered for replacement should they be damaged in an accident.

Do what you like I don't care you can be millatant about your dealings with insurance companies and sooner or later you'll be caught out (like dave 's friend who lost her car) the key point is all modifications should be declared no matter how pathetic you might think they are, if its declared no argument, no taking months of rangling to get them to pay out no having to prove what is or isn't standard why put yourself through the hassle or at risk or being personally liable?

There is a thread in leisure lounge at the moment about a 13 year old girl knocked down by a car which is being challenged in court as to who is liable if that insurance company decided the drivers policy wasn't valid for any reason (drink driving or heavily modified car with anything being declared) then the driver would be personally responsible for footing the bill of her on going care which in all likely hood will run into millions.

Stop trying to fiddle the system and stop thinking you're really clever because of some experience you had in the past, because its other people's lives you could be affecting for the sake of saving your self a phone call to your insurance co or another £20 on your policy.

It's always better to be over insured than under insured always better to err on the side of caution and make sure your arse is covered

Why this argument has gone on this long I don't know a simple miss under standing? i dont know, or some petty troll who think himself better or cleverer than everyone else? What ever the case the right thing to do is declare everything no matter how silly you think it is

Last edited:
I think part of the reason why this topic has developed this way is down to public perception of the insurance industry ( bunch of grasping suits) , inconsistency in behaviour of same insurance company for similar type events, the reality of grasping suits, perceived injustice, screwing kids ( male), yes folks the most profitable sector, here at least is the 18-24 male driver but they have them over a barrell, treating you like a fool when you call them about cover on a loaner car etc etc. and the fact that the insurance game is a con. What's the first question a body shop asks? Two different prices.
I have a Jeckyl and Hyde hat for insurance and empathise with both sides of this discussion as I have probably expressed both sets of opinions at various times.
Many of us, me included, have been spared the human train wreck of a real bad one, and are armchair philosophers - may it never come my way or yours.

Mine's a pint.

Picture the scene...

Mr and Mrs Smith live in a nice area..............

Mr and Mrs Smith have used insurance company X for years...

Mr Smith renews every year by phone...........

Mr Smith "forgets" to mention that he collected 3 bonus points to his licence for speeding :nono:

All is fine and dandy.... they get their insurance certificate through and live their lives.....

Then enter mr Scrote who breaks into their house whilst they are fast asleep and find the keys to their nice shiny 4x4...... :eek:

But its ok they are insured......... or are they...............

Failure to disclose change in material facts (driving convictions) = :wave: to 4x4 and no pay out as the policy was revoked on the spot.....

you could have understood it had Mr smith crashed at high speed and written the car off... But to have it stolen from your driveway the speeding offence was totally irrelevant to the loss BUT still voided the cover

Back