Technical Smoke from under bonnet on start

Currently reading:
Technical Smoke from under bonnet on start

zuk

IMG_20231216_145120.jpg

Car hasn't been started for 3 months, was great before that. I charged battery and started it and within a minute smoke was bellowing from under the bonnet. Turned it off immediately and gradually smoke stopped. The smoke stank in a way that made me think it could be electrical.

Had a good look around engine and all I could see is what is in the attached picture. It looks melted but I have no idea what it is.
Picture is taken from the left hand side of the engine looking to the right, so the melted looking bit looks like it's on the bulkhead.

It's going to my local trusty garage after Christmas, but I'm just curious what this thing is!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Yes see what you’re saying. Similar thing happened to me when the battery cable melted against the exhaust and shorted out, it completely melted the earth cable shroud and that smelled horrible

The 90 degree bend and a bit of the wiper mechanism look suspiciously like the aircon pipes
Screenshot_20231216_185023.jpg

But this is where I find out the car doesn't have aircon

Photo from a bit further out would help, my cars not here at the moment to compare

Last edited:
The 90 degree bend and a bit of the wiper mechanism look suspiciously like the aircon pipes
View attachment 434817

But this is where I find out the car doesn't have aircon

Photo from a bit further out would help, my cars not here at the moment to compare
Agree the pipes are air con. I will have to look to see what wiring is there.

Can't really see much but looks like a short. If it's anywhere near the starter solenoid there's a huge amount of current that can go from battery to starter motor. You can see that if you ever try cranking the engine over for more than a few seconds as the wires start overheating and will smoke after about 20 seconds.
If the car hasn't been moved in a while I'd start thinking that the mice have got in and chewed some insulation off a wire or two.

I don't see any melting in the photo

I don't see any evidence of smoke you get from plastic/insulation melting

I can't see any electrical wires in the photo

The area is high up under the windscreen, there's not much above it,

Theres a bit that doesn't belong. But the photo is a bit out of focus here, could be anything, looks more like a moths pupa or leaf but really it could be anything

Or maybe I am missing something obvious

IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_20231217_002114.jpg

Brush it into a pan and investigate

But I think it's a red herring

Back